• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australia's frontline bowlers - Lord's

Which attack will take the field at Lord's?

• Other (please specify)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

shaka

International Regular
Brett's been impressive in the one dayers on this tour, so i picked Warne, Gillespie, Lee and McGrath.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
The team picked will almost certainly be McGrath, Lee, Gillespie and Warne. Were I a selector though, I'd seriously consider picking Kasprowicz for better balance should he have a decent FC warmup game. He's a better old ball bowler, and has a different sort of style to the other two and compliments them nicely.

edit: the other two being McGrath and Lee. Lee needs to be picked.

Last edited:

irfan

State Captain
I went for warne, lee, kaspa, mcGrath. i think theyve persisted with gillespie enough with nothing substantial in return throughout the NatWest series and he hasnt been anywhere near as menacing and accurate as usual. Kaspa is betta bowling at lefthanders (eng openers and thorpe if he is in) and his cutters will complement lee's pace and swing and mcGrath metronomic line & length

simmy

International Regular
As an English supporter... Lee has been a real threat. Kaspa and Gillespie were fairly useless throughout...

Even though Gillespie bowled better in the last game (at the Oval) he still does not look the same bowler.

If Kaspa was English... and it was ENGLAND that were persisting with a 33 year old that was not producing the goods there would be criticisms. For example if Gough were to be selected (obv he wont because he is retired) the media would have a field day! Why wouldnt you pick Lee? He has had the edge over our openers, is the only real "pace" option, offers something with the bat and is exciting to watch.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
i have a feeling Kaspa might miss out for the first test, depends who of him and Gillespie do worse in theis game vs Leics. for turning pitches though 2 spinners will be used im pretty sure, both leggies have good records against England i think.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Tait, Gillespie, Kaspa and injuries to Warne, MacGill and Hogg meaning Hauritz is called up and plays would do me nicely:p

kendall

U19 Vice-Captain
Bret Lee will probably be selected but will not be effective in the tests i am confident england can deal with him infact the only bowler i am really concerned about is mcgrath even warne is not a terryifing prospect

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I've gone for McGrath, Gillespie, Kaspa & Warne. They have been doing the job for over 12 months now, and was the cobmination that won the series in India and didn't lose a test on home soil (bar one test) last season and won convincingly in New Zealand too.

Don't fix what isn't broken.

However, I think with Pietersen being selected for England they will probably go with McGrath, Lee, Gillespie and Warne. Which will be to our disadvantage as Kaspa adds a lot with the new ball and is a very adequate 1st change, and has bowled well in tandem with Warne especially in India. He's a good foil for Ponting. I just feel if Lee is to be picked we have to be sure of Gillespie's form, McGrath & Warne can bowl long spells, but even they can't bowl all day, if Lee's only going to bowl 4 or 5 over spells, then Gillespie needs to be bowling very well.

Scaly piscine

I think Australia will go for Warne - Gillespie - Lee - McGrath. But I think Kasper would do better than Lee or Gillespie overall if picked.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Lee has a lot more fitness then Shoiab so he will bowl more then 4 or 5 over spells. But they will go for Kaspra, Gillespie, McGarth and Warne. If they were going to drop Kaspra or Gillespie it would have been in NZ. Lee is not bowling any better and Gillespie and Kaspra are side bowling crap.

Mister Wright

chaminda_00 said:
Lee has a lot more fitness then Shoiab so he will bowl more then 4 or 5 over spells. But they will go for Kaspra, Gillespie, McGarth and Warne. If they were going to drop Kaspra or Gillespie it would have been in NZ. Lee is not bowling any better and Gillespie and Kaspra are side bowling crap.
It has been quoted extensively that Lee will be used in short spells between 4 & 6 overs becuase it is felt that he is not as effective and gets tired if he bowls longer spells. Ponting, Buchannon et al have all said as much.

Slow Love™

International Captain
This poll would probably have been better titled "Who do you think SHOULD take the field at Lords?".

As it stands, I think McGrath, Lee, Gillespie and Warne will play (although I'm not as absolutely certain that Lee will take the field as some CW posters).

I would probably like to have seen McGrath, Lee, Kasper and Warne though. It's bothered me how much the English batsmen have gone after Gillespie, even if his final performance was much better (though still far from his best, IMO). But if Dizzy plays quite well against Leicestershire, I'd be reasonably happy with him playing (so long as he outperforms Kasprowicz, that is). His form concerns me a lot more than Kasper's does on the tour so far, though.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Mister Wright said:
It has been quoted extensively that Lee will be used in short spells between 4 & 6 overs becuase it is felt that he is not as effective and gets tired if he bowls longer spells. Ponting, Buchannon et al have all said as much.
Well i think he will be wasted if only used in short spells, by the time he creates pressure he will be taken off.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Slow Love™ said:
This poll would probably have been better titled "Who do you think SHOULD take the field at Lords?".

As it stands, I think McGrath, Lee, Gillespie and Warne will play (although I'm not as absolutely certain that Lee will take the field as some CW posters).

I would probably like to have seen McGrath, Lee, Kasper and Warne though. It's bothered me how much the English batsmen have gone after Gillespie, even if his final performance was much better (though still far from his best, IMO). But if Dizzy plays quite well against Leicestershire, I'd be reasonably happy with him playing (so long as he outperforms Kasprowicz, that is). His form concerns me a lot more than Kasper's does on the tour so far, though.
I think the English would have targeted Kaspra if he played more in the ODIs and if he plays in the Test they will target him.

Mister Wright

chaminda_00 said:
Well i think he will be wasted if only used in short spells, by the time he creates pressure he will be taken off.
They would be insane if they used him in anything longer than a 6 over spell, even that will be too much. So many times he has been bowled in extended spells to "keep the pressure on" and has just been punished as the spell goes on. He is only really effective in his first 3 or 4 overs, then the speed drops and tiredness sets in and he starts getting wayward.