• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Anderson

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
There are other bowlers who are better than him and have moved ahead in the pecking order.

Dydl

International Debutant
I just remember a magazine raving about him and his 'great' chance of having an effect on the Australians...and then not seeing hide nor hair of him the whole tour so far..:confused:

At least I understand properly now. :)

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
he'll be behind lewis and tremlett as well now, probably wharf as well, poor old jimmy anderson, i am a fan of him, he has talent and potential, but at this moment in time he is no where near good enough (esspecially for the tests), i predict that we will see him again playing for england one day, but not for a while yet.

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
Im pretty sure England quickly went off Alex Wharf when they found out all he did was bang the ball in half way down pitch. Caught people off guard for the first few times but once they got use to it he got easily played.

Anderson will play for England again, he bowls too many wicket taking balls not to, something which few English players can do. He just needs to sort out his accuracy in between the wicket taking balls. He should never have played for England so early in his Career than he did.

Also when he first came on the scene he was bowling at high 80's even touching 90mph, but he soon got tired after a few months and began only bowling mid to low 80's which is a big difference.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
andersons great late swing is a devastating weapon, and yes i agree, wharf was poor, hopefully we will not see him again.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
sledger said:
andersons great late swing is a devastating weapon, and yes i agree, wharf was poor, hopefully we will not see him again.
Well, what he (Anderson) has now got to do is go away and learn how to play cricket.

I don't mean that in any insulting sense, and it's not meant to be a joke (I have to explain pretty well everything to some people on this site - even the explanations require some explanation).

He has an amazing gift - the ability to bowl quickly and to swing the ball (Brett Lee is the only other one on the world stage now worth talking about unless Shoaib puts the self-destruct into reverse, and they do it at a frightening pace). I don't think he knows how or why. Consequently, when one wheel comes off, they all do.

Golaxi

School Boy/Girl Captain

SpaceMonkey said:
Im pretty sure England quickly went off Alex Wharf when they found out all he did was bang the ball in half way down pitch. Caught people off guard for the first few times but once they got use to it he got easily played.

Anderson will play for England again, he bowls too many wicket taking balls not to, something which few English players can do. He just needs to sort out his accuracy in between the wicket taking balls. He should never have played for England so early in his Career than he did.

Also when he first came on the scene he was bowling at high 80's even touching 90mph, but he soon got tired after a few months and began only bowling mid to low 80's which is a big difference.
hes now back playing for lancs in the county circuit again. Hes getting himself on the way back to where he was now. The other day i saw him getting up around the 88mph mark and his accuracy is also back. Maybe we'll see him again for England in a couple of years or so. Hes still behind S.Jones and Tremlett at the mo but i rate him higher than Jon Lewis. Anyway S.Jones seems to be getting up to the 90s now.

cpr

International Coach
nah i wouldnt say his accuracy is back, even for lancs, sure he's having some great innings, but there coming at the same rate as some pretty bad ones, he's still failing to bowl economically, not taking many maidens, and coming away wicketless with it.... however he seems to have one great innings and one shocker per match.

He wont be back with england till next year i reckon, Tremlett and Jones have proved they deserve to be ahead of him, hopefully a winter with the academy (which is what he should have had this winter, wasted sat on the sides doing nothing whilst he's still young enough to learn). Then if he hits county form he can come back, a better player for it

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Because he has gone down the pecking order and if he wants to get back into the ENG side he has to produce some superb bowling for Lanchashire...

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
I suppose you have to remember he's still young and also i think (not 100% sure) he came through the Burnley youth system rather than Lancashires. (maybe they are linked?) so might not have had the amount of good coaching from as young an age as others.

simmy

International Regular
He is behind Tremlett but I'd rather seem him bowling in an England shirt than Tremlett. Trems is too nice and should bowl faster (stupid criticism I know...!).

Anderson is so young... he'll be back.

kendall

U19 Vice-Captain
I think you would revise your opinion if you were a batsmen coming to find a 6 foot 7 or whatever he is man baring down on you and bowling the ball around your nose. I saw him come on against glamorgan who at the time were coasing a few overs later Tremlett had decimated the middle order with his bounce and accuracy batsmen simply done like it is not NICE. As for Anderson he has been hanedled badly and now is whare he should be in county crikcet, i hope he returns.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
SpaceMonkey said:
Really?
I struggle to believe Wharf has had the success he has in ODIs and it simply has to be merely a matter of time before he gets found-out with such a rubbish domestic record, but the fact remains that out of 7 spells of more than 3 overs he's only had 1 especially poor one.
His performances have got no worse - yet.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
simmy said:
He is behind Tremlett but I'd rather seem him bowling in an England shirt than Tremlett. Trems is too nice and should bowl faster (stupid criticism I know...!).
Tremlett is one thing - rubbish.
Far too many no-balls and extremely wayward.
If he played for anyone except Hampshire (or maybe Yorks) he'd be a fringe-player and have the record to go with it.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
cpr said:
nah i wouldnt say his accuracy is back, even for lancs, sure he's having some great innings, but there coming at the same rate as some pretty bad ones, he's still failing to bowl economically, not taking many maidens, and coming away wicketless with it.... however he seems to have one great innings and one shocker per match.
Anderson's one-day economy-rate this season is 3.76-an-over.
His First-Class economy-rate is poor at 3.54-an-over but to go for 3.76-an-over in English domestic one-day cricket is no mean achievement.
Especially for the bowler who looked like he had roughly no idea where the ball was going at The Wanderers in January.

kendall

U19 Vice-Captain
Richard said:
Tremlett is one thing - rubbish.
Far too many no-balls and extremely wayward.
If he played for anyone except Hampshire (or maybe Yorks) he'd be a fringe-player and have the record to go with it.
I think you will be proved very wrong about Tremlett and he doesnt just take wickets at the rose bowl.