• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Bangledesh unwanted visitors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Scallywag said:
So whats wrong with playing in Darwin and Cairns. Australia wants to include both venues into the test circuit.
Can we see the Aussies play England , South Africa or even India in Darwin or Cairns then ?

Scallywag

Banned
JASON said:
Can we see the Aussies play England , South Africa or even India in Darwin or Cairns then ?
I'm sure we will in time.

But back to the original question what is wrong with playing in Darwin or Cairns.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Scallywag said:
I'm sure we will in time.

But back to the original question what is wrong with playing in Darwin or Cairns.
Because most Sri Lankans in Australia live in Sydney , Melbourne , Brisbane or major cities and their chance of seeing SL Team is made difficult !! Thus guaranteeing poor support for the Visiting Team from local fans and supporters !!

The Sri Lankans don't send the Aussies to play their Tests in Jaffna or Trincolnmalee in a newly created ground to prevent the touring Teams getting too unsettled and also to ensure their fans have better access to the Venues and facilities in major cities !

Because afterall the fans use these Test Matches to enhance their travel experience !!
Pushing Test Matches to the nooks and corners kills the Travel experience for the fan whether they be living in that country or travelling from Overseas.

But I would like to see the Day when Cricket Australia tries to sell an Ashes Test in Darwin to the ECB and see how that turns out ? :D

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
marc71178 said:
Certainly not England, since it's our summer at that time.
Thats another valid point that you have just pointed out to me Marc .

Sri Lanka , Bangladesh not considered good enough to play Tests in the Australian Summer by Cricket Australia !!

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
JASON said:
England played Balgladesh in Clester-le-Street as well as Lord's. That was only half a snub, I suppose.

Scallywag

Banned
JASON said:
Because most Sri Lankans in Australia live in Sydney , Melbourne , Brisbane or major cities and their chance of seeing SL Team is made difficult !! Thus guaranteeing poor support for the Visiting Team from local fans and supporters !!
Sri Lanka is not a crowd pulling team in Australia and Darwin and Cairns are both cities capable of hosting test matches.

JASON said:
The Sri Lankans don't send the Aussies to play their Tests in Jaffna or Trincolnmalee in a newly created ground to prevent the touring Teams getting too unsettled and also to ensure their fans have better access to the Venues and facilities in major cities !
Sri Lanka played Australia at Moratuwa in the very first of only four tests played there. Sort of knocks a big hole in your main arguement.

JASON said:
Because afterall the fans use these Test Matches to enhance their travel experience !!
Pushing Test Matches to the nooks and corners kills the Travel experience for the fan whether they be living in that country or travelling from Overseas.
Well mate there was the perfect example of fans to enhance their travel experience.

Darwin is a modern city with all the luxuries of a normal city so playing there is no different to playing in Perth or Adelaide.

JASON said:
But I would like to see the Day when Cricket Australia tries to sell an Ashes Test in Darwin to the ECB and see how that turns out ? :D
They dont have to sell anything to the poms if they want to play in Australia it is where Australia decides to hold the match. CA would not play the poms there now because there is not enough seats but htere were plenty for the Sri Lankan game.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
While I was disappointed that I didn't get the chance to watch the Lankans live, with the whole 10 year thing the ICC has implemented, there is pressure to fit in more Tests, which would best be done during winter in the north of Aus.

Also, maybe Cricket Australia were trying to take it to smaller crowds in case Murali came, which might have meant that there wouldn't be as much hostility towards him - looking after their PR?

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
The idea of a Top End Tour was good so Cricket Australia tried it out to give Bangladesh a bit of exposure and try out the idea. It was reasonably successful but wanted more to come of it so they invited a stronger side which wasn't playing any cricket at the time (Sri Lanka) and they hadn't played tests in Australia for almost 10 years. I am however disappointed with how many times Sri Lanka have been invited only as a one-day team.

The Bangladesh-India thing doesn't surprise me one bit, they've been knocked back many times and it's honestly appaling. Every other nation plays test and ODI series against them at home, what makes India better than Australia or England?

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
James90 said:
The idea of a Top End Tour was good so Cricket Australia tried it out to give Bangladesh a bit of exposure and try out the idea. It was reasonably successful but wanted more to come of it so they invited a stronger side which wasn't playing any cricket at the time (Sri Lanka) and they hadn't played tests in Australia for almost 10 years. I am however disappointed with how many times Sri Lanka have been invited only as a one-day team.

The Bangladesh-India thing doesn't surprise me one bit, they've been knocked back many times and it's honestly appaling. Every other nation plays test and ODI series against them at home, what makes India better than Australia or England?
Dalmiya.......

C_C

International Captain
I think Dalmiya should do something about this defamation...... i respect that dude a lot, for he has done a lot for cricket....shouldnt this be directed towards Dungarpur, given that Dalmiya is no longer the head of BCCI but Dungarpur is ?

Scallywag

Banned
C_C said:
I think Dalmiya should do something about this defamation...... i respect that dude a lot, for he has done a lot for cricket....shouldnt this be directed towards Dungarpur, given that Dalmiya is no longer the head of BCCI but Dungarpur is ?
Wheres all this evidence of Ponting being let off while Ganguly gets punished for going over time with the overs.

C_C

International Captain
Wheres all this evidence of Ponting being let off while Ganguly gets punished for going over time with the overs.
Hold on to yer panties....i am still working on it...and it has nothing of relevance with this thread.Stick to the topic, nazi-boy.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Scallywag said:
Sri Lanka is not a crowd pulling team in Australia and Darwin and Cairns are both cities capable of hosting test matches.
I can tell you Australia are not crowd pullers in Sri Lanka either !! I was in all three Tests and saw more Aussies than Sri Lankans in most of the Tests.

Which means the 100-150 travelling Aussies outnumbered Sri Lankans at all three Tests and on all days of these Tests.

And this is not the first time Sri Lankans don't seem to want to watch the Aussies.
As I have known this to be the case in the past several tours Australia has made there.

India and Pakistan seem to be the main crowd pullers followed by England who bring in their travelling army of several thousand fans and enrich the Sri Lankan economy, being expensive tourists that they are and not of a back packing cheap tourist type ,if you see what I mean !! :D

May be SL Cricket should put the future Aussie tours in Moratuwa and Tricolnmalee, because at least the rural folk may become interested in watching aussies. Most of the fans at Galle , Kandy and Colombo during the last Aussie tour were school kids given free tickets. :D

Scallywag said:
Sri Lanka played Australia at Moratuwa in the very first of only four tests played there. Sort of knocks a big hole in your main arguement.
Moratuwa was one of the 4 test grounds that SL cricket had access to then and so the Test was played there !! Just like Brisbane exhibition ground once hosted tests.

I don't see Darwin and Cairns as part of Australia's main test venues until Bangla and SL came around.

So there's a big hole in your argument,OK !!

Scallywag said:
They dont have to sell anything to the poms if they want to play in Australia it is where Australia decides to hold the match. CA would not play the poms there now because there is not enough seats but htere were plenty for the Sri Lankan game.
That just either shows either poor planning and judgement or lack of insight on the distribution of Sri Lankan fans in Australia on the part of Cricket Australia.
Any donkey's uncle can tell you that Sri Lankans in Australia are located in Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane and Perth and not in woop woop country !!

Why the hell did Cricket Australia expect the Sri Lankan fans in Aussie, NZ (or even from SL) to waste their hard earned dollars travelling to see the Bush with added expenses on travel on expensive domestic carriers and accomodation ?

One thing about SL fans is they are smart and know when to not waste their money on rubbish tours !! :D

Last edited:

Scallywag

Banned
JASON said:
I can tell you Australia are not crowd pullers in Sri Lanka either !! I was in all three Tests and saw more Aussies than Sri Lankans in most of the Tests.
Which validates CA decision to play these non crowd pulling games in Darwin amd Cairns so Australians in the Northern half can watch their national team.

C_C

International Captain
So sorry Al-queda soldier
Hahahaha

I dont think Al-Qaeda is interested in boderline atheists.
Actually, they are.
We are hated just a wee bit less than America from their prespective.
8-)

Status
Not open for further replies.