• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Bodyline 1932-33

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
I've just watched three accounts of this series. One, a DVD documentary from Australia "It's Not Cricket". Two, a drama-documentary series from 1984 which is fairly entertaining but the cricket scenes are pretty awful and some of the facts not very accurate in terms of persons present during that tour. Thirdly and by far the best is a 40 minute documentary produced by the BBC in 1983. Includes interviews with many of the players involved including Harold Larwood, Gubby Allen, Bill Bowes, Bob Wyatt and many more. Unfortunately Bradman chose not to participate. It was amazing to see how many of the players from that series were still alive fifty years later and still loved talking about the matches.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I'd strongly recommend David Frith's Bodyline Autopsy as the best book yet written on the subject. It's quite impeccably researched (uncovering one genuine scoop) and does it readers the credit of allowing them to make their own minds up about the events.

Christopher Douglas's Douglas Jardine Spartan Cricketer is also well worth a read. It paints a rather different picture of Jardine than the coldly arrogant Pommie autocrat of popular (Aussie) legend.

BTW, is the Bodyline mini-series available on DVD in the UK? I saw it once as a kid many, many years back & thoroughly enjoyed it. I'd like to see it again.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
I've ordered the David Frith book and look forward to reading it. The mini-series has only been released in Australia at the moment but you can get it from UK suppliers on eBay or order it from one of many Australian Online DVD retailers.

archie mac

International Coach
BoyBrumby said:
I'd strongly recommend David Frith's Bodyline Autopsy as the best book yet written on the subject. It's quite impeccably researched (uncovering one genuine scoop) and does it readers the credit of allowing them to make their own minds up about the events.

Christopher Douglas's Douglas Jardine Spartan Cricketer is also well worth a read. It paints a rather different picture of Jardine than the coldly arrogant Pommie autocrat of popular (Aussie) legend.

BTW, is the Bodyline mini-series available on DVD in the UK? I saw it once as a kid many, many years back & thoroughly enjoyed it. I'd like to see it again.
Just finished Bodyline Autopsy, I agree the best account of the most written about series in Cricket history. I have read 6 books dealing with the subject, and many more about the series (bios on Bradman, O'Reilly, Larwood ect.) If people do not want to 'heavy' an account of the series, Bodyline the novel is not to bad a read, although it was slammed by the critics. I have the DVD series just need the time to watch it now :@ (less time spent on here might help)

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Lillian Thomson said:
I've just watched three accounts of this series. One, a DVD documentary from Australia "It's Not Cricket". Two, a drama-documentary series from 1984 which is fairly entertaining but the cricket scenes are pretty awful and some of the facts not very accurate in terms of persons present during that tour. Thirdly and by far the best is a 40 minute documentary produced by the BBC in 1983. Includes interviews with many of the players involved including Harold Larwood, Gubby Allen, Bill Bowes, Bob Wyatt and many more. Unfortunately Bradman chose not to participate. It was amazing to see how many of the players from that series were still alive fifty years later and still loved talking about the matches.
is that the one where Gary Sweet played Bradman? :-O

archie mac

International Coach
broncoman said:
is that the one where Gary Sweet played Bradman? :-O
Thats the one, also Hugo Weaving (matrix) as Jardine. I think I am right in saying this is still the highest rating Aust. made mini series.

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
not sure, tbh with you i didnt know anything about it until i saw it on sale in a DVD shop last week, i had to pick it up and have a look, theres just something about Gary Sweet playing Bradman that doesnt sit well with me!
ill probably buy it now....

C_C

International Captain
One big Myth about bodyline i find is the notion that Jardine thought up the bowling tactic while on route to Australia by boat.
For Bodyline was tried atleast a season before that infamous series in English County cricket.

archie mac

International Coach
C_C said:
One big Myth about bodyline i find is the notion that Jardine thought up the bowling tactic while on route to Australia by boat.
For Bodyline was tried atleast a season before that infamous series in English County cricket.
Yes that is true, I don't think the fielding postions were quite as aggressive though. He obtained them from Frank Foster before the team left for Australia.
:)

C_C

International Captain
I will look it up soon....when i can clean up my desk that is...but i think its called 'A social history of English Cricket'.
Its a wonderful book that painstakingly traces the historical and social origins/rammifications of cricket from the 1600s/1700s all the way to 1970s packer incident.

crickhowell

U19 Vice-Captain
C_C said:
Jardine and the MCC agreed months before the tour to use an agressive version of 'leg-theory ' and there was even a meeting between Jardine, Larwood, the other bowler and a couple of members of MCC to talk about it, as talked about in 'its just not cricket'.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Yeah, I bought this for a source for my history essay. I`ve read a gazzillion books on Bodyline since and it`s all damn interesting. Wouldn`t mind seeing the latest movie.

archie mac

International Coach
Nnanden said:
Yeah, I bought this for a source for my history essay. I`ve read a gazzillion books on Bodyline since and it`s all damn interesting. Wouldn`t mind seeing the latest movie.
Is there a latest movie?

archie mac

International Coach
You had me excited there :-O

This one was first televised in the 80s, but has just be released to DVD/Video :)

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
archie mac said:
You had me excited there :-O

This one was first televised in the 80s, but has just be released to DVD/Video :)
Yeah, I knew that. :ph34r:

Haha, thanks. :)

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
The BBC really ought to do something commercially with their 40 Minute documentary. As far as I know it hasn't been shown since it's original airing in 1984. It has a great interview with Larwood who was interviewed by Fred Truman and also has interviews with Bill Bowes, Gubby Allen and Bob Wyatt who played for England in the series and Bill O'Reilly, Leo O'Brien and Harry Alexander who played for Australia. It also has contributions from Joe Hardstaff, Jim Swanton and Dennis Monkhouse who all have personal recollections from the series and great archive footage of Bradman and Jardine and superb newsreel coverage of the action. This program is a real gem and to leave it gathering dust in the archives is a terrible waste.