• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Bodyline 1932-33

archie mac

International Coach
Lillian Thomson said:
The BBC really ought to do something commercially with their 40 Minute documentary. As far as I know it hasn't been shown since it's original airing in 1984. It has a great interview with Larwood who was interviewed by Fred Truman and also has interviews with Bill Bowes, Gubby Allen and Bob Wyatt who played for England in the series and Bill O'Reilly, Leo O'Brien and Harry Alexander who played for Australia. It also has contributions from Joe Hardstaff, Jim Swanton and Dennis Monkhouse who all have personal recollections from the series and great archive footage of Bradman and Jardine and superb newsreel coverage of the action. This program is a real gem and to leave it gathering dust in the archives is a terrible waste.
I am yet to see it, but Frith quoted from it on numerous occasions in Bodyline Autopsy.

C_C

International Captain
Jardine and the MCC agreed months before the tour to use an agressive version of 'leg-theory ' and there was even a meeting between Jardine, Larwood, the other bowler and a couple of members of MCC to talk about it, as talked about in 'its just not cricket'.
Perhaps.
The discussion might've been if that tactic should be used in test matches or not....but fact remains that Bodyline was implimented ATLEAST a season before the infamous series in english county cricket and it wasnt shelved immediately after the bodyline fiasco either.
One person, terrorising the county cricket during bodyline, was Learie Constantine.
George Headley faced it too and came off considerably better than most aussie batsmen.

archie mac

International Coach
C_C said:
Perhaps.
The discussion might've been if that tactic should be used in test matches or not....but fact remains that Bodyline was implimented ATLEAST a season before the infamous series in english county cricket and it wasnt shelved immediately after the bodyline fiasco either.
One person, terrorising the county cricket during bodyline, was Learie Constantine.
George Headley faced it too and came off considerably better than most aussie batsmen.
Arthur Carr in his book 'Cricket with the lid off" thought it a fair tactic, captain of Notts he let Larwood and Voce bowl it a lot in the 20s. It should not be forgotten that Jardine scored a Century against the Windies bowling Bodyline in England.

My biggest regret was that the 'Star Newspaper' sent Jack Hobbs and not PGH Fender to cover the BL series. I would have loved to read his comments on the matches.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Note this is an old thread.

I've just watched the 40 Minute Documentary from 1983 again and it's interesting to note that on one of the old Newreel clips the commentator from 1932 says that Larwood's bowling was disapproved of not only by the spectators at the ground but also by the whole Sub-Continent. I'm not up on the history of the Sub-Continent but presumably in the 1930's Australia was considered part of it.

archie mac

International Coach
Tomm NCCC said:
Wouldnt be suprised if bodyline made a comeback this year
Might be a bit hard since they have changed the rules (laws) on the fielding positions, but we should see plenty of 'Chin Music' :-O

BoyBrumby

Englishman
TBF I'd say things are far worse now in terms of what DRJ rather quaintly called "short long-hops" then they were during 32/33. I realise that protective equipment has advanced a lot, but nowadays even tailenders are considered fair game for the short stuff.

I can't recall who said it, but a writer once remarked (and I'm inclined to agree) that if Voce & Larwood were bowling bodyline then the Windies attacks of the late 70s & 80s were bowling headline.

archie mac

International Coach
BoyBrumby said:
TBF I'd say things are far worse now in terms of what DRJ rather quaintly called "short long-hops" then they were during 32/33. I realise that protective equipment has advanced a lot, but nowadays even tailenders are considered fair game for the short stuff.

I can't recall who said it, but a writer once remarked (and I'm inclined to agree) that if Voce & Larwood were bowling bodyline then the Windies attacks of the late 70s & 80s were bowling headline.
Could quote that one, I have not heard that before :D

The helmets must make a huge difference though. I never wore one until last season, but I am much more confident even on the worst of pitches.

andmark

International Captain
Lillian Thomson said:
I've just watched three accounts of this series. One, a DVD documentary from Australia "It's Not Cricket". Two, a drama-documentary series from 1984 which is fairly entertaining but the cricket scenes are pretty awful and some of the facts not very accurate in terms of persons present during that tour. Thirdly and by far the best is a 40 minute documentary produced by the BBC in 1983. Includes interviews with many of the players involved including Harold Larwood, Gubby Allen, Bill Bowes, Bob Wyatt and many more. Unfortunately Bradman chose not to participate. It was amazing to see how many of the players from that series were still alive fifty years later and still loved talking about the matches.
That is strange but it must be good talking about it