• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ashes

Lucky

Cricket Spectator
I am doing an assignment on The Ashes 2005, I am rating the best Australian player from each of these catagories depending on their stats and their performances in England before the Ashes start and then after the Ashes, comparing both the opinions.
Here are the categories,
Opener
Middle Order
Lower Order
Spin Bowler
Pace Bowler
All Rounder
I will be writing my own opinions but I would like to have more opinions from the public/professionals about who you think will perform better in each of these positions. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

(I had to put some space in between because it wasn't being typed up correctly)
Thanks

Mod Edit: Your forum link won't display properly because we're not, contrary to what you might think, an advertising board. Feel free to discuss here, but don't make explicit posts linking to other sites.

Last edited by a moderator:

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
On this Ashes tour, currently, the best in each category are as follows.

Opener - Gilchrist (Not much choice here, but he's had a better time of it than Hayden).
Middle Order - Symonds (Freakishly consistent)
Lower Order - Hussey (Genius at shepherding the tail and nudging boundaries)
Spinner - Hogg (who else?)
Paceman - Lee
All Rounder - Symonds

Time will tell after the Ashes.

Scallywag

Banned
LongHopCassidy said:
On this Ashes tour, currently, the best in each category are as follows.

Opener - Gilchrist (Not much choice here, but he's had a better time of it than Hayden).
Middle Order - Symonds (Freakishly consistent)
Lower Order - Hussey (Genius at shepherding the tail and nudging boundaries)
Spinner - Hogg (who else?)
Paceman - Lee
All Rounder - Symonds

If you are talkig about Ashes then Gilly wont be an opener and the rest are unlikely to play. Maybe Lee but McGrath is far superior to Lee in Tests.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Based on their record both in England and elsewhere in tests:

Opener: Langer (Hayden has a better average, but has never had success in England and is out of form, so take your pick)
Middle-order: Ponting
Lower-order: Gilchrist
Spinner: Warne
Pace bowler: Mcgrath

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Lucky said:
I'm talking about the Test team and not the ODI team...
In which case, you will have one game to go on - and that's at Leicester, starting later this week.

So far, Australia haven't played any 'proper' (i.e. 4+ day) cricket on the tour, so it's pretty difficult to establish a baseline.

King_Ponting

International Regular
On this Ashes tour based on previous form, the best in each category are as follows.

Opener - Langer
Middle Order - Ponting
Lower Order - Gilchrist (who else)
Spinner - Warne (the master)
Paceman - Mcgrath/ Lee (flip a coin)
All Rounder - Gilchrist (Batting + Keeping)

tassietiger

U19 Debutant
Opener - Justin Langer
Middle Order - Ricky Ponting
Lower Order - Simon Katich
Spin Bowler - Shane Warne
Pace Bowler - Glenn McGrath
All Rounder - Adam Gilchrist

When he's firing, Hayden is better than Langer. Unfortunately he hasn't been firing for a while. I was tempted to go Gilly middle order, but he had to be an all-rounder so I went Katich, as Clarke's a bit out of touch, if that's possible for someone who is relatively new on the Test cricket scene

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
Katich seems more middle-order. Lower order could be Warne or Gillespie, as Gilchrist fits in the all-rounder role.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
FaaipDeOiad said:
Based on their record both in England and elsewhere in tests:

Opener: Langer (Hayden has a better average, but has never had success in England and is out of form, so take your pick)
Middle-order: Ponting
Lower-order: Gilchrist
Spinner: Warne
Pace bowler: Mcgrath

yep i imagine they will be the better performing of the lot

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
King_Ponting said:
On this Ashes tour based on previous form, the best in each category are as follows.

Opener - Langer
Middle Order - Ponting
Lower Order - Gilchrist (who else)
Spinner - Warne (the master)
Paceman - Mcgrath/ Lee (flip a coin)
All Rounder - Gilchrist (Batting + Keeping)

Mate, Tests. Really no need for a coin in the paceman department - otherwise spot on.