• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

I really don't care if this doesn't deserve a thread, but...

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
...as everyone here knows, when whoever hands out cricket ability was doing the rounds, he didn't bother gracing the Croft Baker wards of Grimsby Hospital in the small hours of August 30, 1985. As such, my entire cricketing career before today had yielded 28 runs and 13 wickets, with a high point of a tortuous six, not out.

Hence, as I strode to the wicket at Tavistock CC at 1704 this afternoon I expected little reward for my obliging acceptance of my midday "er, Neil, someone's ill, and we need to leave in half an hour and there's no-one else left who's allowed out on their own after eight o'clock" phone call.

Therefore, It was with great delight that I strode back forty minutes later with 17 runs to my name, having struck two crisp cover drives to the boundary and added another, more agricultural slog-sweep.

My career average has moved from 2.16 to 3.21 in less than an hour.

I feel great... and I'd like to thank Rikki for inspiring me :D

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
It's true - he really does owe it all to Rikki. You see the sacrifices Clarke has to make for the benefit of others? I'm sure that, after Chris Taylor injured his shoulder yesterday, Rikki would have been the first to offer his own arm as a replacement if the surgeons had felt that amputation was really necessary. Furthermore, anyone who has to share a lunch table with James Ormond must be close to starving. I mean, the man makes Inzy look anorexic. He even makes Ian Blackwell look.... hang on. Let's not go overboard.

Well done, Neil. Rikki is truly an inspiration to us all.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
luckyeddie said:
It's true - he really does owe it all to Rikki. You see the sacrifices Clarke has to make for the benefit of others? I'm sure that, after Chris Taylor injured his shoulder yesterday, Rikki would have been the first to offer his own arm as a replacement if the surgeons had felt that amputation was really necessary. Furthermore, anyone who has to share a lunch table with James Ormond must be close to starving. I mean, the man makes Inzy look anorexic. He even makes Ian Blackwell look.... hang on. Let's not go overboard.

Well done, Neil. Rikki is truly an inspiration to us all.
:lol:

btw, Neil, many congratulations on your first double figures score. :notworthy

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
steds said:
:lol:

btw, Neil, many congratulations on your first double figures score. :notworthy
So how many Rikki Tee shirts can we put you down for?

We WILL get the lad the recognition he deserves. AA? Ptooey.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
I'll have 3, ta :happy:

No. Make that 13. Got to make up for missing Clarkewatch in Brizzle

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Well done Neil. You have given inspiration to us all. I will start pre-season training instantly...well maybe after I watch t.v. all day.

Scallywag

Banned
Thats embarassing Neil, do you think cricket is your game.
With players as poor as you I allways suggest they take up umpiring, how areyour eyes.

:D :D

Blaze

Banned
Neil how are you so bad?

Perhaps you lack application and/or concentration

EDIT - BTW congratulations on your personal best. I used to bat a lot like you did by the sounds of things. I averaged 2.87 from the age of 12-15 and had no confidence whatsoever. I hated batting because I had no belief in my ability. It took one score of 17 to get me going and now I average over 30 with the bat and am regarded as an allrounder.

Last edited:

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Voltman said:
I don't know whether to applaud out of politeness or pity.
I think the brave thing is to come on here and admit it that he hasn't got Lara's ability with the bat - face it, he hasn't even got Lara's ability with the ball.

Still, it's the taking part that counts (and his utter devotion to Rikki)

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Ah, the pain of the rubbish cricketer - one felt on a regular basis by folk such as us, Neil. However, folk such as us also know the pride of such exploits as a 25-ball 5 against 70mph bowling, or a successful reverse-sweep off a county triallist spinner - it's the little things that count. Good on you mate. :D

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
luckyeddie said:
I think the brave thing is to come on here and admit it that he hasn't got Lara's ability with the bat - face it, he hasn't even got Lara's ability with the ball.

Still, it's the taking part that counts (and his utter devotion to Rikki)
Lara is a handy little leggie after all... :p

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
luckyeddie said:
A first class average of over 100 indicates that he just might be the next Brad Hogg. I do apologise.
But what about his first-chance average (or whatever Richard calls the bowling equivalent)?