• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Miandad gets it spot on

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
http://www.telegraphindia.com/1050708/asp/sports/story_4964328.asp

After the London blasts should visitng teams object playing in London now?

If the hope country can guarantee safety of a visiting team, it is no business of the visiting team to try and muscle where the home team plays the match.

If some specific players have concerns, for themselves or their family, individuals can opt out but ruling out Karachi as a whole is ridiculous.

Its also sad cash low PCB didnt pursue the matter further.

Deja moo

International Captain
What cash low PCB ? Have they already spent all of the 20 million $US they made when India toured them last year ?

Swervy

International Captain
Pratyush said:
http://www.telegraphindia.com/1050708/asp/sports/story_4964328.asp

After the London blasts should visitng teams object playing in London now?

If the hope country can guarantee safety of a visiting team, it is no business of the visiting team to try and muscle where the home team plays the match.

If some specific players have concerns, for themselves or their family, individuals can opt out but ruling out Karachi as a whole is ridiculous.

Its also sad cash low PCB didnt pursue the matter further.
sounds like typical crap from Miandad...a world of difference between the highly volatile and instabe atmosphre of Karachi (didnt the mayor say there would be a bloodbath in Karachi recently) and a city that is at risk of terrorist attack (much like every major city in the world) like London.

Do you think Islamic extremist would really target the Pakistani team in London?

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Deja moo said:
What cash low PCB ? Have they already spent all of the 20 million $US they made when India toured them last year ?
So many tours cancelled before that means in perspective it was a survival tour for the PCB when India toured it.

I dont see why PCB would not put forward the case more despite or with the cash. Saimuddin, the cricinfo Pakistan journalist also feels the PCB should have pursued the matter further.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
If they want to cancel the tour, let them. With no disrespect to Pakistan, no England player is going to care whether they tour Pakistan or not. Nor will anyone care if Pakistan don't want to play in England.

Swervy

International Captain
Lillian Thomson said:
If they want to cancel the tour, let them. With no disrespect to Pakistan, no England player is going to care whether they tour Pakistan or not. Nor will anyone care if Pakistan don't want to play in England.
I half agree...I doubt any England player will be relishing the thought of playing in Pakistan!!!

But I for one would love to see pakistan play in England, and I reckon a fair few Pakistan supporters in the UK would as well

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Swervy said:
sounds like typical crap from Miandad...a world of difference between the highly volatile and instabe atmosphre of Karachi (didnt the mayor say there would be a bloodbath in Karachi recently) and a city that is at risk of terrorist attack (much like every major city in the world) like London.
If PCB is guaranteeing safety the English Cricket board has no business in trying to object over specific venues.

Deja moo

International Captain
Pratyush said:
So many tours cancelled before that means in perspective it was a survival tour for the PCB when India toured it.

I dont see why PCB would not put forward the case more despite or with the cash. Saimuddin, the cricinfo Pakistan journalist also feels the PCB should have pursued the matter further.
The PCB cannot refuse to play there for one simple reason- they have many players already playing county cricket and the likes. Do you think they're going to cancel their contracts now and return to Pakistan in fear of terrorist attacks? No. Therefore theres not going to be any basis for the PCB to refuse to play there.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Deja moo said:
The PCB cannot refuse to play there for one simple reason- they have many players already playing county cricket and the likes. Do you think they're going to cancel their contracts now and return to Pakistan in fear of terrorist attacks? No. Therefore theres not going to be any basis for the PCB to refuse to play there.
Read the colun b Saimudding on cricinfo. The ECB also didnt have much of a case to refuse to play in Karachi. Fact is PCB didnt insist on England playing there like ECB would have done had they faced any similar situation.

Swervy

International Captain
Pratyush said:
If PCB is guaranteeing safety the English Cricket board has no business in trying to object over specific venues.

mmm..think about it...the New Zealand team almost got caught up in a bomb in Karacki a couple of years ago, and attack that left several 'Westerners' dead...the mayor of the city suggested that there would be a bloodbath at local elections, Imran Khan (top Pakistani player and polititian) has stated he totally understands the ECBs concerns, and recently a 'western' target ie the local KFC has been attacked....if you were the ECB, would you be entirely happy sending your players to Karachi

Deja moo

International Captain
Pratyush said:
Read the colun b Saimudding on cricinfo. The ECB also didnt have much of a case to refuse to play in Karachi. Fact is PCB didnt insist on England playing there like ECB would have done had they faced any similar situation.
A bomb blew up right in front of the hotel where then Kiwi cricketers wer hosted. Plus Karachi has a history of sectarian and terrorist violence. Theres their case right there. London is different since its an isolated incident, in the mould of Mumbai, NY and Madrid. Do you mean to say theres a valid case to not host spoting events in those cities as well ?

dinu23

International Debutant
no city is a safe city. when LTTE bombed the Katunayake air port here, G. Bush said not to travel to SL. but months after the bombing the trade center get an attack.
I think PCB should have taken the case further.
and on London, three bombings in one city in a day.I think they have serious security problems.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Swervy said:
mmm..think about it...the New Zealand team almost got caught up in a bomb in Karacki a couple of years ago, and attack that left several 'Westerners' dead...the mayor of the city suggested that there would be a bloodbath at local elections, Imran Khan (top Pakistani player and polititian) has stated he totally understands the ECBs concerns, and recently a 'western' target ie the local KFC has been attacked....if you were the ECB, would you be entirely happy sending your players to Karachi
Fact 1 : Karachi has a history of violence.

Fact 2 : Being a political leader, motives cannot be ruled out of any statement Imran Khan makes

Fact 3: ECB may not want to tour Pakistan due to safety concerns but those concerns are not a factor if Pakistan takes responsibility for safety.

ECB toured Zimbabwe because else they would face fines. ICC still allow Zimbabwe to play intl. cricket. If the ICC insisted England play in Pakistan (which was a real possibility), England would have played and kept its objections at bay.

If India (who did object to play the test in Karachi) can play a successful one dayer in Pakistan, and England can agree to play a one dayer in Karachi now, the safety concerns seem to be on poor grounds.

Think about it - would the PCB want a situation where they are humiliated in Karachi? If they are in favour of cricket being played in Karachi, international teams should not have problems.

Scallywag

Banned
Pratyush do you think that miandad was spot on?.

Me I think Imran was spot on.

But its up to the players and the players only.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Scallywag said:
But its up to the players and the players only.
I dont have a problem with specific players opting out as I earlier stated because of concerns of them individuals or their families.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Pratyush said:
How can they guarantee safety in a city that is so volatile?

And besides, didn't the ECB send out an independent firm to report on it?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
dinu23 said:
and on London, three bombings in one city in a day.I think they have serious security problems.
Rubbish - it was all one carefully planned attack.

If anything I'd say London is safer now.

cricket player

International Debutant
If you dont tour a country because of the Bomb attacks and terrorism,You are making the terrorists life easier,by letting them know that They have succeded in what they want,Which is scaring the **** out of the people and ****ing the economy.