• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian Cricket and All-Rounders

Swervy

International Captain
vic_orthdox said:
Aah, "The Maestro" of Victorian cricket himself. Don't impress him, you may as well move states.
what ..has he something to do with coaching at Victoria these days then

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Swervy said:
what ..has he something to do with coaching at Victoria these days then
Cricket Operations Manager, or something like that. Bowls off-spin for St. Kilda 2nd XI still (they're 1sts contain the likes of Graeme Rummans, Nick Jewell, Shaun Craig and Michael Klinger) and takes ridiculous numbers of wickets for ridiculously low number of runs.

As I indicated before, he's a real powerbroker in Victorian cricket. Don't know if he is still on the selection panel, but he once was, and uses his position as a player to keep on the lookout for talent.

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
I just don't think there's enough in it to be an allrounder because you see almost no-one in grassroots level who is good at both. I remember very early on I was pretty mediocre at but. When I failed with the bat I usually got a wicket or two and when I went wicketless I usually got some runs. I just worked on my game in general, my batting improved and my bowling didn't. Ever since I've always thought of myself as a batsman. I think people will always be better at one than the other and usually you see players trying to improve their better skill to meet the requirements of playing at their particular level. Should you remain a genuine allrounder there's always the idea that you'll be thought of as a bits and pieces player

Last edited:

Swervy

International Captain
vic_orthdox said:
Cricket Operations Manager, or something like that. Bowls off-spin for St. Kilda 2nd XI still (they're 1sts contain the likes of Graeme Rummans, Nick Jewell, Shaun Craig and Michael Klinger) and takes ridiculous numbers of wickets for ridiculously low number of runs.

As I indicated before, he's a real powerbroker in Victorian cricket. Don't know if he is still on the selection panel, but he once was, and uses his position as a player to keep on the lookout for talent.
still playing....wow!!!!

found these:
http://stkilda.cricketvictoria.com....;team=St Kilda;player=Shaun Graf;site_id=1282

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Steve maybe, but Mark, I wouldn't say so.
Certainly early on Steve was definitely in the allround category but the only reason Mark would not have been considered as such was because his batting was so good. In reality, he was a good enough bowler to be an pace-bowling allrounder (he regularly bowled 130+km/h and swung the ball) but as his back troubles became worse, he reverted to off-spin and at that point, he most certainly became a batsman. :)

He never rated himself much as an off-spinner (thankfully) and figured every wicket was a bonus; I remember reading a book where Steve Waugh said he told Mark to warm up in a match and "Mark gave me the usual "You're kidding." look" but he took a few wickets that day!

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
IMO, from what I saw (admittedly didn't see Steve when he was an all-rounder) but from early 90s onwards, when they were both bowling pace Mark looked to me to be the tougher to handle customer, capable of pulling a jaffa out of nowhere.

To me, Mark certainly had the talent with ball in hand to be an all-rounder, and often had success in a five or six over spell when the opposition was getting a partnership together. Its just that he didn't bowl often enough to be classified as an all-rounder.

There were matches in the early 90s, I think, where Aus went in with two spinners and used a combination of the two Waugh brothers as a third pacer ('93 Ashes strikes a chord).

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
vic_orthdox said:
There were matches in the early 90s, I think, where Aus went in with two spinners and used a combination of the two Waugh brothers as a third pacer ('93 Ashes strikes a chord).
a famous incident of that was in that famous 1 run win by the windies at adelaide in 92 when the combination was McDermott/Hughes/May/Warne/Waugh's.

kendall

U19 Vice-Captain
It is strange that they havnt produced one for years but they seemed to have coped pretty well without one and i suppose gilchrist is an allrounder

brockley

International Captain
My money is on john hastings making a impact for NSW next year,bradstreet gone it leaves a door open,he is a fast bowler and a bit of a hitter,if things go right he could replace watson in the one day team.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
:yawn: Anyone who bowls right arm inswingers - and can't do much else with the ball - won't make it at first class level. Let alone play for Australia.

Fact is Hastings is much more of a bowl than a batsman, anyways. He'll end up being more of a Reiffel type. He'll be on the cusp of being a bowling all-rounder for a long time, without ever being one.

SteveG

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Steve Waugh, before he had injuries that limited his bowling, was a very good medium pace bowler. Late 80's til early 90's was probably his prime.

The Maestro

School Boy/Girl Captain
Very good? Id say average to ok. Anyway at the same time his batting was pretty bad so he could hardly be termed as an all rounder. Thats like saying Mark Richradson was an all rounder cos at one stage he could bowl