• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Do you reckon Cricket can make the 2012 Olympics?

cpr

International Coach
As you may or may not know, the host nation of the olympics gets to introduce a totally new sport to the games, usually something thats popular in that country, and not too hot elsewhere?

So cricket anyone for London?

Thinking about it the 20/20 game is a realistic possibility.... its not that long timewise (tennis is in and games of that can easily go over 3 hours), its got a growing appeal (who knows who'll have started to pick it up in 7 years time), its something the americans wont win gold in :) (also it'd be popular with nations like Sri Lanka, Carribean countries etc, who tend not to dominate the medals tables!), the venue's are there and ready, and baring motorsports, it must surely be the worlds most popular sport NOT in the olympics.... Hell i even heard someone somewhere mention the possibility of video gaming making a move for olympic status!!!

As for implementing it, following how football does it would make it more level/interesting. The rules limit the big teams (infact i think it limits ALL the teams) to essentially an under-23 squad, with a couple of older players allowed too... this means that by and large those involved arnt the big superstars who'd dominate the smaller nations, but up and coming youngsters who arnt miles ahead of the rest of the field like the big names are.....

Would like to hear what everyone thinks about cricket for 2012. Hey its not often i venture into cricket chat, (its too fast paced and daunting! So many posts every time i look!) so humour me on this one people :)

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
The limited number of nations that could compete properly for medals might discourage it. More possibly done as an exhibition sport, though?

cpr

International Coach
Basketballs an olympic sport, dont think anyone bar Russia or the US have ever won it, have they? I'm guessing many of the team sports (non athletics ones i mean, stupid stuff like equestion and the likes :)) tend to be dominated by 3-4 countries throughout time.... Depending how 20/20 develops worldwide over the next 7 years, potentially theres winners in GB (NOT England! we've gotta mascarade it as a team GB), Austrailia, South Africa, India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, fairly competitive field there.... Then do the West Indies enter one joint team, or individual islands enter a team (in athletics people tend to represent their island, not a joint west indies team).... sure non athleticly competitive countries like UAE, Bangladesh etc would enjoy a sport they can at least claim to be better than average at.....

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
cpr said:
Basketballs an olympic sport, dont think anyone bar Russia or the US have ever won it, have they? I'm guessing many of the team sports (non athletics ones i mean, stupid stuff like equestion and the likes :)) tend to be dominated by 3-4 countries throughout time.... Depending how 20/20 develops worldwide over the next 7 years, potentially theres winners in GB (NOT England! we've gotta mascarade it as a team GB), Austrailia, South Africa, India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, fairly competitive field there.... Then do the West Indies enter one joint team, or individual islands enter a team (in athletics people tend to represent their island, not a joint west indies team).... sure non athleticly competitive countries like UAE, Bangladesh etc would enjoy a sport they can at least claim to be better than average at.....
Problem is that you couldn't make it Under 23. You'd be ruling the USA out straight away! :wheelchai

Bob will get a call up! :lol: :stretcher

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
cpr said:
Basketballs an olympic sport, dont think anyone bar Russia or the US have ever won it, have they?
argentina is the defending champion... :)

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
i think its a possiblity but has cpr said it has to be 20/20, but well see how things go in the next 7 years.

NikhilN

International Regular
Doubt it, the International Olympic Association(or whatever they are called) don't like cricket.

chekmeout

U19 Debutant
NikhilN said:
Doubt it, the International Olympic Association(or whatever they are called) don't like cricket.
Wait, rephrase that..
The Americans in charge don't like cricket...

Really cricket is a far more widely played and followed sport than baseball, softball, handball etc. After all it's the second largest spectator sport in the world. I know it is to a large deal due to the subcontinent but still - the subcontinent counts too..

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
chekmeout said:
Wait, rephrase that..
Run that one by me again...

If 'The Americans' were in charge of the IOC, where did they figure in the final voting?

I'd love to see cricket in the Games - but I fear the nearest we will get would be Lord's being used for the Archery. Still, we can dream. It's been in before.

King_Ponting

International Regular
NO cricket has no chance. Trailled at the commonwealth games and then excluded the following games. There isnt a future for cricke in the olympics

crickhowell

U19 Vice-Captain
chekmeout said:
Wait, rephrase that..

Really cricket is a far more widely played and followed sport than baseball, softball, handball etc. After all it's the second largest spectator sport in the world. I know it is to a large deal due to the subcontinent but still - the subcontinent counts too..
remember Condi Rice did promise to learn about cricket

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
When do they have to decide by, isnt that the most important thing. If they can make the decision as late as possible on the competing sports then 20/20 and cricket would have a better chance

Swervy

International Captain
King_Ponting said:
NO cricket has no chance. Trailled at the commonwealth games and then excluded the following games. There isnt a future for cricke in the olympics
but that wasnt twenty20 though was it

twctopcat

International Regular
If London want a gold for team GB, they need to just pop darts/snooker in there. 20/20 would give the aussies another gold to add to thorpedo's collection.

Swervy

International Captain
well if cricket did get in they should just have it as best club (non-pro) players from each country

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
twctopcat said:
You've been watching too many films mate!!!
Too many quirky "end of the bulletin" news stories, more like it.

I was going to mention cheese rolling, but former All Black Marc Ellis won his heat last yere, so you wouldn't be guaranteed of a gold in that.

:D