Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you reckon Cricket can make the 2012 Olympics?

cpr

Do you reckon Cricket can make the 2012 Olympics?

As you may or may not know, the host nation of the olympics gets to introduce a totally new sport to the games, usually something thats popular in that country, and not too hot elsewhere?

So cricket anyone for London?

Thinking about it the 20/20 game is a realistic possibility.... its not that long timewise (tennis is in and games of that can easily go over 3 hours), its got a growing appeal (who knows who'll have started to pick it up in 7 years time), its something the americans wont win gold in (also it'd be popular with nations like Sri Lanka, Carribean countries etc, who tend not to dominate the medals tables!), the venue's are there and ready, and baring motorsports, it must surely be the worlds most popular sport NOT in the olympics.... Hell i even heard someone somewhere mention the possibility of video gaming making a move for olympic status!!!

As for implementing it, following how football does it would make it more level/interesting. The rules limit the big teams (infact i think it limits ALL the teams) to essentially an under-23 squad, with a couple of older players allowed too... this means that by and large those involved arnt the big superstars who'd dominate the smaller nations, but up and coming youngsters who arnt miles ahead of the rest of the field like the big names are.....

Would like to hear what everyone thinks about cricket for 2012. Hey its not often i venture into cricket chat, (its too fast paced and daunting! So many posts every time i look!) so humour me on this one people
    "All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a philosopher." - Ambrose Bierce
    Langeveldt: I of course blame their parents.. and unchecked immigration!
    GingerFurball: He's Austrian, they tend to produce the odd ****ed up individual
    Burgey: Be careful dealing with neighbours whose cars don't have wheels but whose houses do.
    Uppercut: Maybe I just need better strippers

The limited number of nations that could compete properly for medals might discourage it. More possibly done as an exhibition sport, though?

Don't think so

cpr
    Basketballs an olympic sport, dont think anyone bar Russia or the US have ever won it, have they? I'm guessing many of the team sports (non athletics ones i mean, stupid stuff like equestion and the likes ) tend to be dominated by 3-4 countries throughout time.... Depending how 20/20 develops worldwide over the next 7 years, potentially theres winners in GB (NOT England! we've gotta mascarade it as a team GB), Austrailia, South Africa, India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, fairly competitive field there.... Then do the West Indies enter one joint team, or individual islands enter a team (in athletics people tend to represent their island, not a joint west indies team).... sure non athleticly competitive countries like UAE, Bangladesh etc would enjoy a sport they can at least claim to be better than average at.....

Quote Originally Posted by cpr
    Basketballs an olympic sport, dont think anyone bar Russia or the US have ever won it, have they? I'm guessing many of the team sports (non athletics ones i mean, stupid stuff like equestion and the likes ) tend to be dominated by 3-4 countries throughout time.... Depending how 20/20 develops worldwide over the next 7 years, potentially theres winners in GB (NOT England! we've gotta mascarade it as a team GB), Austrailia, South Africa, India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, fairly competitive field there.... Then do the West Indies enter one joint team, or individual islands enter a team (in athletics people tend to represent their island, not a joint west indies team).... sure non athleticly competitive countries like UAE, Bangladesh etc would enjoy a sport they can at least claim to be better than average at.....
    Problem is that you couldn't make it Under 23. You'd be ruling the USA out straight away!

Bob will get a call up!

Quote Originally Posted by cpr
    Basketballs an olympic sport, dont think anyone bar Russia or the US have ever won it, have they?
    argentina is the defending champion...
    Quote Originally Posted by FRAZ View Post
    very very close friend of mine is an Arab Christian and he speaks Arabic too and the visible hidden filth shows the mentality which may never change .....
    Quote Originally Posted by FRAZ View Post
    AAooouchh !!!!!
    I still remember that zipper accident of mine when I was in kindergarten ..... (Thing is OK I repeat thing is OK now )!!!

i think its a possiblity but has cpr said it has to be 20/20, but well see how things go in the next 7 years.

Doubt it, the International Olympic Association(or whatever they are called) don't like cricket.
    liveyalifenikhilsway@hotmail.com -MSN

Quote Originally Posted by Cricinfo
    Hello and welcome back
    Rain has stopped and palyers are back in the middle
    Play is about to stop

Quote Originally Posted by NikhilN
    Doubt it, the International Olympic Association(or whatever they are called) don't like cricket.
    Wait, rephrase that..
    The Americans in charge don't like cricket...

Really cricket is a far more widely played and followed sport than baseball, softball, handball etc. After all it's the second largest spectator sport in the world. I know it is to a large deal due to the subcontinent but still - the subcontinent counts too..
    Founder & President of VSAS

Target Champion! Stuarts Xtreme Skateboarding Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by chekmeout
    Wait, rephrase that..
    Run that one by me again...

If 'The Americans' were in charge of the IOC, where did they figure in the final voting?

I'd love to see cricket in the Games - but I fear the nearest we will get would be Lord's being used for the Archery. Still, we can dream. It's been in before.
    Nigel Clough's Black and White Army, beating Forest away with 10 men

No.
    Not even close.
    Rugby sevens, on the other hand...

International Regular King_Ponting's Avatar
    NO cricket has no chance. Trailled at the commonwealth games and then excluded the following games. There isnt a future for cricke in the olympics

Quote Originally Posted by chekmeout
    Wait, rephrase that..

Really cricket is a far more widely played and followed sport than baseball, softball, handball etc. After all it's the second largest spectator sport in the world. I know it is to a large deal due to the subcontinent but still - the subcontinent counts too..
    remember Condi Rice did promise to learn about cricket
    C'mon COLTS

Southern Dynamo Midfielder

www.myspace.com/themakeoutkidsnz

Stranger leering through a pair of binoculars
    When do they have to decide by, isnt that the most important thing. If they can make the decision as late as possible on the competing sports then 20/20 and cricket would have a better chance
    Mark Waugh
    "He's [Michael Clarke] on Twitter saying sorry for not walking? Mate if he did that in our side there'd be hell to play. AB would chuck his Twitter box off the balcony or whatever it is. Sorry for not walking? Jesus Christ man."
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put it into a fruit salad
    RIP Craigos

An Aussie with a Lancashire accent living in Keighley,West Yorks
    Quote Originally Posted by King_Ponting
    NO cricket has no chance. Trailled at the commonwealth games and then excluded the following games. There isnt a future for cricke in the olympics
    but that wasnt twenty20 though was it
    rave down, hit the ground

MSN: djjacksono@hotmail.com

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information