• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Do you reckon Cricket can make the 2012 Olympics?

twctopcat

International Regular
Voltman said:
Too many quirky "end of the bulletin" news stories, more like it.

I was going to mention cheese rolling, but former All Black Marc Ellis won his heat last yere, so you wouldn't be guaranteed of a gold in that.

:D
Is that the chase the cheese down the hill gag??? Saw that a few days ago, mostly nz's taking part!Hilarious.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
twctopcat said:
Is that the chase the cheese down the hill gag??? Saw that a few days ago, mostly nz's taking part!Hilarious.
That's the one - there's usually ambulances waiting at the bottom and there's always broken bones.

:laugh:

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Well the sports up for inclusion in the 2012 games are Golf, Rugby U, Squash, Karate and Roller Sports.

Softball, Baseball and Modern Pentathlon may miss out, i think they decide this year.

Linda

International Vice-Captain
superkingdave said:
Well the sports up for inclusion in the 2012 games are Golf, Rugby U, Squash, Karate and Roller Sports.

Softball, Baseball and Modern Pentathlon may miss out, i think they decide this year.
Golf? Sounds positively enthralling.

V Reddy

International Debutant
Shouldn't we be taking baby steps before the big leap. I mean Cricket first look at getting into the Asian Games and the Commonwealth Games and then only we can only think of the Olympics. I hope people stop criticising USA for every petty thing of this world. What has USA got to do with ACC and ICC? I mean do yo guys seriously believe that Cricket deserves to be there especially seeing how the Cricket Boards, ACC and the ICC have reacted to these matters in the past? Cases in point being the 1998 CW games, ACC's response to Doha Asian Games,etc,.

Frankly as an Indian, i hope i don't get to see Indian Cricketers in action in CW or Asian Games in the near future after how the BCCI reacted during the 1998 CW Games.

Steulen

International Regular
Highly unlikely, but would be nice.

The thing cricket has in its favour is that a number of the best cricket-playing nations are totally useless at every other sport imaginable. India medals, anyone?

It would also give those tiny flyspeck islets masquerading as independent countries in the Caribbean a chance to compete in a team sport.

The Baconator

International Vice-Captain
V Reddy said:
Shouldn't we be taking baby steps before the big leap. I mean Cricket first look at getting into the Asian Games and the Commonwealth Games and then only we can only think of the Olympics. I hope people stop criticising USA for every petty thing of this world. What has USA got to do with ACC and ICC? I mean do yo guys seriously believe that Cricket deserves to be there especially seeing how the Cricket Boards, ACC and the ICC have reacted to these matters in the past? Cases in point being the 1998 CW games, ACC's response to Doha Asian Games,etc,.

Frankly as an Indian, i hope i don't get to see Indian Cricketers in action in CW or Asian Games in the near future after how the BCCI reacted during the 1998 CW Games.
The only reason people are rushing now is probably because with a cricket playing country hosting the games, it's the best chance, I mean who knows when another cricket playing country will next get the games.

jot1

State Vice-Captain
One of the reasons (amoung others) for not including cricket has always been the length of the game. 20/20 nullifies that, so just maybe there is a chance. I would love to see cricket at the olympics.

Stefano

School Boy/Girl Captain
I love Rugby! And I have begun to love Cricket. However, I wouldn't be very excited to see these two disciplines at the Olympics. Both Cricket and Rugby have a very, very long tradition, which was created without the Olympic Games.

Let's think about rugby: the great tradition of rugby was built through the 4-5-6 Nations Championships, through tthe test matches against New Zealand, South Africa or Australia, through the British Lions, through the Barbarians and since 1987 through the World Cup. I think that cricket is more or less similar: the Ashes, the test matches played in India, Pakistan, the West Indies... and the World Cup. What would the Olympic Games add to these two wonderful games? I would say nothing.

Rugby: first of all, it is impossible to play a long tournament in just 15-20 days. Rugby is such an exhausting game that you need at least 4-5 days of rest! Then, let's imagine rugby at the Olympics: no England, no Scotland, no Wales, no Ireland, but United Kingdom and the Republic of Ireland. Irish team would not represent both Eire and Ulster, but only Eire, which is a terrible strike to rugby traditions.

I have heard that Rugby Sevens could be added to the Olympic Games, but I am not so excited about it.

cpr

International Coach
Dunno, Rugby Sevens is great fun to watch, i'd favour that to be included.... suppose we could enter a British Lions type of team, but the irish representing Ireland instead.... It doesnt matter too much anyway, sevens is a different game to test rugby, a fair few England severns players arnt full internationals

As for tradition being a reason for not being included.... what about Football? (ok it was in the olympics before the world cup, but still), or Tennis... surely its heritege such as wimbledon, Rolan Garros etc outweigh the olympics?

Craig

World Traveller
I can just see a GB football team at the Olympics, the way things stand it may as well just be England as I can't think of anybody good enough in the Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland teams that is good enough for England, or be no better then the current players.

Stefano

School Boy/Girl Captain
cpr said:
As for tradition being a reason for not being included.... what about Football? (ok it was in the olympics before the world cup, but still), or Tennis... surely its heritege such as wimbledon, Rolan Garros etc outweigh the olympics?
Of course; in my opinion sports like soccer or tennis should be out of the Olympics.