• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who will be Sehwag's temporary opening partner?

Who will pair with Sehwag in the opening slot?

• Dheeraj Jadhav

Votes: 2 5.9%
  • Gautham Gambhir

Votes: 14 41.2%
  • Mahendra Singh Dhoni

Votes: 9 26.5%
  • Shikhar Dhawan

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Current middle-order regulars (Dravid, Laxman, Kaif, Yuvraj)

Votes: 7 20.6%
  • Other

Votes: 2 5.9%

• Total voters

adharcric

International Coach
With Sachin out and Ganguly most probably out for now, Team India will need a new player to step into the opener's role. Who will it be?

adharcric

International Coach
Yes, it is for ODIs. Some things I would like to see in this series:
-Yuvraj and Kaif need to prove their mettle with the bat, but they are very important to the team because of the athleticism and energy they bring to the field.
-Keep a 3/4/5 spot reserved for Kaif, another for Dravid and another for Laxman, because those three are essential cogs in the side and aren't as valuable at other positions.
-This means Dhoni will have to shift back down to the 6/7 spot. If Yuvraj is sent to open, India can bring in an all-rounder like JP Yadav at the #7 spot. If Gambhir, Jadhav or someone else is sent to open, Yuvraj can remain at the 6/7 spot.
-Our only secondary bowling options now are Yuvraj and Sehwag, and they cannot be depended on to bowl 10 overs between them on a consistent basis. Thus, an all-rounder like Yadav becomes more important.
Sehwag, Yuvraj, Dravid, Laxman, Kaif, Dhoni, Yadav, Pathan, Harbhajan, Zaheer, Nehra
how's that??

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
I wouldn't be in the least surprised to see them opt for Dhoni, in the expectation of an Afridi-esque effort. He's the new Gilchrist, remember? :)

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
I have a feeling it'll be Dhoni, although I wouldn't be surprised to see Gambhir get another shot.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
I think they will go for Dhoni but think Raina or some other agressive option should be tried.

chekmeout

U19 Debutant
They should and I think they will opt for Dhoni...
Though after Ganguly's ban is over, I guess he will open

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
I'd go with the erstwhile Flying Scotsman (Rahul McDravid) - but throw His Royal Lefthandedness Ganguly straight back in as soon as his stinging slapped wrists allow.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
luckyeddie said:
I'd go with the erstwhile Flying Scotsman (Rahul McDravid) - but throw His Royal Lefthandedness Ganguly straight back in as soon as his stinging slapped wrists allow.
Which nobody knows when it will be, because the Indian board refuse to accept the rules.

NikhilN

International Regular
I doubt Dhoni will become Sehwag's partner. Yuvraj Singh has the highest chance out of them all to open.

Deja moo

International Captain
Pratyush said:
That is a huge allegation. Indian board is within the rules to go for arbitration.
Plus there are legal eagles claiming that theres actually no explicit provision in the rules to suspend captains for this. Believe them or not, why dont people let the appointed arbitrator be the judge of that ?