• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket in schools

chekmeout

U19 Debutant
I'm curious as to know, which school competition do you think is the most competitive in the world? That is, where do you think is the standard of school-level cricket the highest?

Judging by my schools recent tour to India, my guess would probably be somewhere like Bombay... What do you guys think?

southern man

U19 Cricketer
cricket player said:
in England it is really high,but India have the toughest competition among australia and england.

Not from what I have heard.

My friends cousin spent a few years in England, and has recently came back to New Zealand. In England he dominated scoring big runs at will for his first XI. Since being back he has been scoring well but no more than what he was getting back in England.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
cricket player said:
in England it is really high,but India have the toughest competition among australia and england.
not really, school cricket competition is not that high over here, i remember when England were last in India Ravi Sharsti was talking about the high standard of their school cricket competions throughout India.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
School comp is tough in India, simply because of the no. of players involved and the competiton..... As you know, Cricket is almost the only game in India, unlike in England, Australia etc.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Neil Pickup said:
English schools are horribly split into two major camps - the public/independent/fee-paying schools, which run many cricket teams with full facilities and a massively experienced coaching line-up.

Then you have the free/government/state schools, where you're lucky if you actually get any cricket ever, and the experience is often limited at best.

One of my housemates last year was coached at his school (QE College Guernsey) by Jack Birkenshaw (ex-Leics and England), whilst the coaching line-up at my secondary school consisted of the Head of PE, and me.

Too true, my little school of 390 gets the services of HRJ Trump and D Breakwell.. Must be about 600FC wickets there.. Roger Twose, Richard Harden, Tom Webley have all played FC cricket and are old boys..

We regularly put out sides that stuff state run colleges about six times our size, and now they can't even put out teams.. We had Zimbabwe and Pakistan training on our ground a few years back, not to mention hosting Womens ODI's and Super 4's..

While it's nice to be on the winning side, it gets depressing from this side of the fence to see the collosal gap between private and state.. Not sure if its the same from other countries..

Although on the flip side, I could talk exactly the opposite about Football.. I guess its whatever schools prioritize in

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
southern man said:
Not from what I have heard.

My friends cousin spent a few years in England, and has recently came back to New Zealand. In England he dominated scoring big runs at will for his first XI. Since being back he has been scoring well but no more than what he was getting back in England.
Depends what schools you're talking about, my school was always strong.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Dasa said:
Who am I to talk. I went to Haileybury College.
Ah, the team that only needed three bowlers. Two opening bowlers have their first spell, and then Dutchy Holland comes on and bowls all day into the wind, while you continue rotating the pace bowlers from the top end. At the end of the innings - J. Holland: 35-20-17-5. Freak.