• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Bermuda & Windies

chekmeout

U19 Debutant
This may seem as a stupid question, but I was wondering why aren't Bermuda part of the West Indies?

Also, when did West Indies start playing collectively as a team and whose decision was it to unite these countries to form the West Indies team?

Swervy

International Captain
I will take a wild guess at the fact that Bermuda isnt actually in the Carribean..and so way back before flying was the main mode of transport, it would have been very hard to have integrated Bermuda into the West Indian cricketing scene...just a guess

chekmeout

U19 Debutant
Swervy said:
I will take a wild guess at the fact that Bermuda isnt actually in the Carribean..and so way back before flying was the main mode of transport, it would have been very hard to have integrated Bermuda into the West Indian cricketing scene...just a guess
Bermuda is an island in the Caribbean Sea which makes it part of the Caribbean... (I think)

Steulen

International Regular
<probably stupid question mode>

Has Bermuda ever been English territory?

</probably stupid question mode>

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Originally quite a few players from Bermuda were invited to play for the West Indies, but they stopped picking them when they failed to turn up because of their flights disappearing.

Kweek

Cricketer Of The Year
Bermuda Triangel (H) good stuff that, ive always been interested in that....just like Atlantis btw ;) both things fascinate me :)

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Bermuda, like Dave's triangle shows, isn't in the Caribbean, but much, much further north.

A bit of background info on the West Indies Federation from Wikipedia:

Provinces

The provinces of the West Indies Federation were:

* Antigua and Barbuda
* Barbados
* Dominica
* Grenada
* Jamaica (to which were attached the Cayman Islands and Turks and Caicos Islands as dependencies)
* Montserrat
* Saint Christopher-Nevis-Anguilla (present day Saint Kitts and Nevis and Anguilla)
* Saint Lucia
* Saint Vincent and the Grenadines
* Trinidad and Tobago

History

The Federation was an internally self-governing, federal state made up of ten provinces (in the British West Indies), all British colonial possessions. The federation was created by the United Kingdom in 1958 as a way of simultaneously satisfying the demands for independence of all colonies in the region. The legal basis for the federation was the British Caribbean Federation Act 1956, and the date of January 3, 1958 was set by an Order-in-Council proclaimed in 1957.

The head of state was Queen Elizabeth II. Her Governor-General was Patrick Buchan-Hepburn, 1st Baron Hailes.

The combined population of the West Indies Federation was between 6 and 7 million people. The proposed site for the capital city was Chaguaramas, a few miles west of Port-of-Spain, Trinidad and Tobago, but the site was part of a United States naval base.

The Federation maintained a particularly close relationship with the nation of Canada, which had a similar past of being a part of the British Empire and becoming a Confederation. In the early years several Caribbean leaders suggested the West Indies Federation should investigate the possibility of joining the Canadian Federation but this was never more than a fleeting interest.

This did not stop Canada from providing the West Indies Federation with two of the region's most important gifts, these gifts were two merchant ships named "The Federal Palm" and "The Federal Maple", these two vessels visited every island in the federation twice monthly.

Although the Federation was initially optimistically embraced, the unity did not last. The largest provinces, especially Jamaica and Trinidad, quickly gained control over the federal government's agenda, much to the displeasure of the smaller provinces, and were reluctant to establish a customs union. This in turn caused the larger provinces to resent being members of a union that had so many members hostile to them, and increased pro-independence sentiment. Federal elections were held on March 25, 1958. Two Federal parties were organised as confederations of local political parties, both of whom were organised by Jamaican politicians; the West Indian Federation Labour Party by Norman Manley and the Democratic Labour Party by Alexander Bustamante. The WIFLP won the election and Grantley Adams (of Barbados) became Prime Minister.

Dissolution

In 1961, the Jamaican province held a referendum on political secession from the Federation. It passed, with 54% of the vote, despite the opposition of Manley, the province's Premier at the time, and Jamaica became a fully independent country. After Jamaica left, the next largest province, Trinidad and Tobago, left in 1962, (the Premier of the time, Eric Williams saying "One from ten leaves nought" ("zero"), and after the departure of Trinidad and Tobago, the country was soon wound up.

The situation was regularised by the Parliament of the United Kingdom's West Indies Act 1962. The remaining provinces reverted to being colonies supervised directly from London, most of which became independent later on, as follows -

* Antigua and Barbuda - 1981
* Barbados - 1966
* Dominica - 1978
* Grenada - 1974
* Saint Kitts and Nevis - 1983
* Saint Lucia - 1979
* St Vincent and the Grenadines - 1979

Anguilla, the Cayman Islands, Montserrat, Turks and Caicos Islands remain overseas territories of the United Kingdom.

chekmeout

U19 Debutant
But still, don't you folks reckon that it is at least slightly unfair for a country of Bermuda to be competing at the world stage independently whereas TEN countries of a similar size and population (maybe even more) in the same region play together as one unit??

Isn't that a tad bit unfair?

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
chekmeout said:
But still, don't you folks reckon that it is at least slightly unfair for a country of Bermuda to be competing at the world stage independently whereas TEN countries of a similar size and population (maybe even more) in the same region play together as one unit??

Isn't that a tad bit unfair?
Isn't it unfair that India has a population of 1.2 billion and New Zealand has, well, a lot less.

C'est la vie.

Chubb

International Regular
Neil Pickup said:
Isn't it unfair that India has a population of 1.2 billion and New Zealand has, well, a lot less.

C'est la vie.
4 Million, and several Konvenience Kiwis like myself.

musha_13

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
What about Guyana. They arn't even an island but they are still part of the West Indies. I don't even think their coast is the Caribianen Sea.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
musha_13 said:
What about Guyana. They arn't even an island but they are still part of the West Indies. I don't even think their coast is the Caribianen Sea.

Which sea's that then? :)

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
Correct me if I am wrong on this ...

English cricket team and ECB incorporates players from England and Wales. However, Scotland has to play on its own, even though it is part of the UK/GB along with England and Wales. Can anyone explain this to me ?

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
If a Scottish (or even Irish) player is good enough, then they'll play for England anyway (Gavin Hamilton, Ed Joyce). Don't know the official explanation for it being E&WCB, mind.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I think any British-born player is entitled to play for England, we've had several Sweaties over the years (Hamilton, Dougie Brown, Peter Such, Mike Denness off the top of my head; probably loads more) & Martin McCague, although Oz-raised, didn't have to undergo a qualifying period because he was born in Northern Ireland. Joyce tho is from the Republic (Dublin IIRC) so has to undergo the residency qualification like KP did.