• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

All Time Classic Catches

Swervy

International Captain
Probably a thread similar somewhere, but what the heck!!!!

3 that stand out in my mind:

Kallicharan c) & b) Botham 57 (Adelaide 1980)...Kalli smacked the ball, Botham in his follow through managed to knock the ball into the air, and then fall on his back and take the catch.

Ghavri c) Howarth b) snedden 6 (Melbourne 81)..Geoff Howarth fielding at a shortish mid wicket (if my memory serves me well), Ghavri hit the ball hard and somehow Howarth plucks the ball out the the air.

Clarke c)Dyson b) Yardley 5 (Sydney 82)...Sylvester Clarke took a trademark swipe at the ball, almost middled it (if had middled it, I doubt it would have landed even now), Johnny Dyson was three quarters of the way to the boundary at a deepish mid-wicket, maybe a bit straighter!!!, the ball sailed over his head, but he jumped up and took what many beleive is quite simply the greatest catch of all time.

Other great ones...Collingwoods the other day...Drakes getting Davison in the World Cup, that McGrath catch.

Anymore for anymore

tooextracool

International Coach
adam bachers catch of tendulkar is undoubtedly the best catch i've ever seen. i think its quite impossible to take a better catch than that.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Some more that stick in my mind:

Mark Taylor catching... was it Chanderpaul or something? I really don't remember the batsman, but it was his famous catch where he juggled the ball about 4 times, including kicking it once with his foot, before holding on to it in the slips.

Steve Waugh took one once... once again I don't remember the details, but he was at shortish midwicket and the ball was absolutely smashed at him, and he took it two-handed diving at full stretch. I remember at the time that it was about as good a catch as I could possibly imagine, given the pace the ball was traveling as well as the dive.

Ricky Ponting took an absolute gem during Michael Clarke's 6/9 in Mumbai that doesn't get mentioned as much as it should, for sheer reflexes.

Then of course, there's that McGrath catch, and that Rhodes catch. Never seen the Bacher one, unfortunately.

Slow Love™

International Captain
The John Dyson "goalkeeper" catch off Sylvester Clarke in '82 is probably the best I've ever seen.

I think Taylor's one off the boot in slips was off Carl Hooper - I'm pretty sure it was a right-hander, anyway.

There was one in the late 80's/early 90's at the MCG where Steve Waugh ran around the boundary and ended up completing the catch behind the sightscreen - can't quite remember who it was against though...

Oh,and for sheer drama, there's the famous catch that bounced off Chris Tavare's chest at slip, and ricoched to Geoff Miller, ending Border and Thomson's famous 10th wicket chase in Melbourne '82.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Slow Love™ said:
The John Dyson "goalkeeper" catch off Sylvester Clarke in '82 is probably the best I've ever seen.
How old are you dude. I thought you were in your late twentys.

Kweek

Cricketer Of The Year
well i always been told that Tim de Leedes catch @ the Champions throphy in 2002 of A dasilva was one of the best ever, anyone saw that one live?

chekmeout

U19 Debutant
There was one of Jonty Rhodes in the early 1990's .. I had it as my avatar till a while ago.. That was a pretty amazing catch

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
The most extraordinary catch I've ever seen was by Jack Bond of Lancashire in a Gillette Cup Final against Kent in the early 70's. It also went a long way toward winning the match for Lancashire when Asif Iqbal appeared to be winning the match for Kent.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Adam Dale's in the Mercantile Mutual Cup, around (roughly) the late 1990s. And the catch by a South African at Backward Point in a ODI (can't remember who it was against) - I thought it was Gibbs, but maybe it was Bacher - that was as good as anything you could ever see.

deeps

International 12th Man
bradley hogg's catch whilst touring india in 97?? That was absolutely brilliant

Deemed by many as the catch of the century

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
VVS Laxman catching an Australia right-hander (can't remember) in the slips. Another millimetre of width and it would have hit the turf.

Mike Hussey's catch at mid-off in the Mercantile Mutual, leaping to hang onto an absolute screamer.

Glenn McGrath's catch to dismiss Vaughan in Adelaide.

David Boon's catch at short-leg to afford Warnie his hat-trick.

Macka

U19 Vice-Captain
Am I the only one who doesn't really rate McGrath's catch? It was an important catch if I remember correctly, but it wasn't amazing. I'd rate Sinclair's recent effort against Australia as a far better catch.

Mayu Pasupati took a blinder a few years ago in a NZ domestic game. That is one catch I will always remember. Taylor's boot catch was amazing, too. Unfortunately, I haven't seen most of the catches mentioned in the thread.

shaka

International Regular
Pasupati's catch for Wellington was stunning as was Sinclair's boundary dive