• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

All Time Classic Catches

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Mcgrath had to run 418 km's, dive full stretch (which is amazing for a lanky man such as McGrath), he took it in one hand (although the other hand was close by), land on his gut and hold the ball, it was amazing.

Having said that, i think sinclairs was better just for the entertainment value, just looked better...

Taylors catch sticks out for me, the juggle and kick.

There was also a catch by Mark Waugh in slips, Warne was bowling, batsman had a big slash at it, trying to drive him out of the ground, the ball was behind Waugh and he stuck out his right hand and grabbed it, that was awesome.

Also, David Boons catch on Warnes hat trick ball, that was freakish.

Blaze

Banned
Macka said:
Am I the only one who doesn't really rate McGrath's catch? It was an important catch if I remember correctly, but it wasn't amazing. I'd rate Sinclair's recent effort against Australia as a far better catch.

Mayu Pasupati took a blinder a few years ago in a NZ domestic game. That is one catch I will always remember. Taylor's boot catch was amazing, too. Unfortunately, I haven't seen most of the catches mentioned in the thread.

Totally agree about McGrath. Sinclairs catch certainly looked more spectacular.

Paupati's was in the final a few years back against Canterbury.. Definetly the best catch I have ever seen.. by quite some distance as well

kwigibo

School Boy/Girl Captain
ME Waugh's catch, 4th innings, 3rd test in India in 2001. I think it was Tendulkar, might have been Laxman, played a full-blooded pull in front of square, Waugh was at a shortish mid-wicket I think, took it full length horizontal 3 feet above the ground. The batsman had hit it so well he looked completely dumbfounded, and the whole thing seemed to happen twice as quickly as a catch to silly point.

That's the one that sticks out.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
kwigibo said:
ME Waugh's catch, 4th innings, 3rd test in India in 2001. I think it was Tendulkar, might have been Laxman, played a full-blooded pull in front of square, Waugh was at a shortish mid-wicket I think, took it full length horizontal 3 feet above the ground. The batsman had hit it so well he looked completely dumbfounded, and the whole thing seemed to happen twice as quickly as a catch to silly point.

That's a great one, and Steve Waugh took a similar one a couple of years before.

Top_Cat

Probably Boonie's catch at short-leg off Azharuddin in 1991. Boonie managed to juggle a full-blooded leg-glance from one guy who could take paint off pickets with it when in form.

Michael Slater's catch off Mark Butcher in a Test at the SCG still amazes me. I have it on video and for the life of me I still can't see the ball travel from Mark Butcher's sweep to Slater's hands at short-leg. All I see is the shot and Michael Slater coming up with the ball. Incredible.

Mark Waugh off Inzi at Hobart in 1999 is still an incredible catch. Inzi was 100+ and absolutely nailed a full-blooded cut which Mark Waugh managed to cope with at slip. That turned the game, really, because Inzi was looking to really take the game away from Australia.

Geoff Marsh at gully off Ijaz Ahmed in 1990 was special. He was 121 and about to move to 125 when Marsh intercepted a bullet.

Ajay Jadeja off AB in the 1992 World Cup at the 'Gabba was one of the better outfield catches I've seen but Steve Waugh's catch off Roger Harper would surely never be beaten. Not just for how speccy it was but just for the fact he was rapidly heading for the sightscreen and had to worry about a much heavier obstacle (Merv Hughes) as well as taking it over his shoulder........

C_C

International Captain
Several come to mind.
One is Jonty Rhodes going horizontal and few feet off the ground to catch a Brian Lara special square cut during the hero cup in 92.....
Recently during IND-PAK, there was a stunner of a catch by Mohd. Kaif.....
Several others are mentioned in here.....one i remember from a clip was of Eknath Solkar diving to the middle of the pitch to catch a backward defensive off a west indian batsman.

benchmark00

Voltman said:
Paul "Fatty" Vautin in some testimonial match in the early 1990s...
:laugh:

Can anyone remember on the 12th man i think it was.... 'Fatty's F***in caaaaatch'?

:laugh:

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
Mathew Sinclair at Colonial is probably the best I've seen, closely followed by Adam Dale. Collingwood's the other day was a screamer, Hayden catching Dippenaar in Adelaide in 2001 and Ponting at gully off Sinclair in Brisbane that same season. I was walking through the gate as it happened dammit! I've seen Dyson's many times and it was great.

Best piece of genius - Mark Taylor's juggling soccer skills to dismiss Carl Hooper
Most overrated catch of alltime - Glenn McGrath at Adelaide

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
I don't see how McGrath's catch is overrated at all. The amazing thing about that catch is that he had so little time to do it, because the ball travelled so fast and didn't get up very high. It wasn't a typical "judging it in the deep" outfield catch, it was closer to something you'd see a mid-on or cover off a mi**** where you have a splitsecond to move towards it and dive or you wouldn't get to it, except traveling way faster. It was simply the best outfield catch I've ever seen.

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
FaaipDeOiad said:
I don't see how McGrath's catch is overrated at all. The amazing thing about that catch is that he had so little time to do it, because the ball travelled so fast and didn't get up very high. It wasn't a typical "judging it in the deep" outfield catch, it was closer to something you'd see a mid-on or cover off a mi**** where you have a splitsecond to move towards it and dive or you wouldn't get to it, except traveling way faster. It was simply the best outfield catch I've ever seen.
Obviously he did have a fair amount of time to be able to cover that much ground and it was a fluke. The ball miraculously popped out of the left and landed back in the right. It was a great catch but shouldn't be mentioned in the same sentence as some of the others mentioned. It was identicle to Craig McMillan's in the VB Series the previous summer and that hasn't been replayed since. Because he's a New Zealander and it's the same with Sinclair's catch.

crickhowell

U19 Vice-Captain
i bought that 12th man cd today, "Were putting five dollars up in cold hard cash for the most forgettable sporting moments" im listening right now. Pasupati's catch was better than sinclairs. Pasupati caught it full flight about 5ft up. I was right ****ing behind him!

Macka

U19 Vice-Captain
Voltman said:
Paul "Fatty" Vautin in some testimonial match in the early 1990s...
How did I forget that! That was a stunning catch. Never in a million years did I think he was going to come close to catching it.

Cloete

International Captain
vic_orthdox said:
Adam Dale's in the Mercantile Mutual Cup, around (roughly) the late 1990s. And the catch by a South African at Backward Point in a ODI (can't remember who it was against) - I thought it was Gibbs, but maybe it was Bacher - that was as good as anything you could ever see.
Yews I remember that really well!

He had to run further than McGrath then dived like a superman flying sort of style but sideways, facing the pitch. He took it in hus upper hand which was his left as he was running from mid-on. Simply Amazing!

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
steds said:
Troughton's catch off Hildreth yesterday certainly wasn't bad.
Yes it was superb, even my better half commented "that catch was unreal".

One of the best catches I have ever seen.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
kwigibo said:

I was sitting in the stadium and that catch happened diagonally opposite to me. If only I had a camera, I would have taken a prize winning picture. I agree it is the best catch I have seen "LIVE". On TV, without a doubt, it is the Bacher one, followed by some stuff by Laxman, Jonty, Gibbs and others. The Kirtley catch was awesome too.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
FaaipDeOiad said:
Some more that stick in my mind:

Mark Taylor catching... was it Chanderpaul or something? I really don't remember the batsman, but it was his famous catch where he juggled the ball about 4 times, including kicking it once with his foot, before holding on to it in the slips.

Steve Waugh took one once... once again I don't remember the details, but he was at shortish midwicket and the ball was absolutely smashed at him, and he took it two-handed diving at full stretch. I remember at the time that it was about as good a catch as I could possibly imagine, given the pace the ball was traveling as well as the dive.

Ricky Ponting took an absolute gem during Michael Clarke's 6/9 in Mumbai that doesn't get mentioned as much as it should, for sheer reflexes.

Then of course, there's that McGrath catch, and that Rhodes catch. Never seen the Bacher one, unfortunately.
That Ricky Ponting catch was of Dinesh Kaarthick, I think. But I gotta disagree. I think Ponting himself took a better catch, at Short midwicket, of Sachin Tendulkar in the 2001 series at Mumbai. I remember it well. It was so great because he had so little reaction time, what with the ball actually coming off Langer's back as he turned around at his position of Short leg. Sachin was absolutely dismayed to see a perfectly good pull shot causing his dismissal when he was playing as well as he ever did.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
I just noticed on the KFC Classic Catches ad, the guy takes his eyes off the ball!

I feel so violated.