• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Neutral umpires !

chipmonk

U19 Debutant
Why is the ICC still in the dark ages ?

Neutral umpires likely for Pakistan-England ODIs

Cricinfo staff

July 3, 2005

Pakistan are likely to appoint two neutral umpires for their one-day series at home against England later this year. According to ICC rules, only one third-country umpire is required to stand for a one-dayer, with the other umpire being from the home country, but Shaharyar Khan, the chairman of the Pakistan board, said that they planned to go one step further.

"Making errors is a human trait. But when a home umpire gets it wrong, it might ignite strong reactions. This situation is least likely to happen in case of neutral umpires," Shaharyar told the BBC Sport website. "When we play against India, the struggle can be felt everywhere in the two nations. Any mistake by a home umpire may cause resentment not only among fans but teams as well."

The ICC rules currently state that while one neutral umpire is mandatory for ODIs, the home board can appoint two third-country umpires if both teams agree. "The ICC said if a member country wants to introduce neutral umpires, it will have to consult the visiting team," Shaharyar said. "We have to consult England, but I don't think they would disagree.

"I am to meet ECB people on Friday. I will also write them officially in this regard and we hope to reach to a decision very soon. At least three months are needed for the appointment of neutral umpires by the ICC. Fortunately, we have this time for the England home series."

Pakistan have long been advocates of neutral umpires in international cricket. They were the first nation to appoint third-country umpires for a Test, when VK Ramaswamy and Piloo Reporter officiated in two Tests between Pakistan and West Indies in 1986-87, long before the ICC regulations came into place. More recently, Pakistan were also miffed at a few close decisions going against them in the VB Series in Australia earlier this year. That prompted them to table a proposal before the ICC executive committee asking for two neutral umpires in all ODIs as well. The committee rejected the proposal, but allowed individual countries the flexibility to appoint two neutral umpires if the countries so desired.

England are scheduled to play three Tests and five one-day internationals in Pakistan in November-December 2005.

© Cricinfo

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
I think it gets a bit hard to always provide two neutral umpires, especially with the number of ODIs taking place.