• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Md. Wasim

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Pratyush said:
Ganga has failed many more times than Atapattu and Md. Wasim and surely you know that enough following Windies cricket closely to know that. The comparison isnt appropriate.
Ganga: 54 c/innings, 21 single figures, 33 sub-20 (38.9%, 61.1%)
Wasim: 26 c/innings, 10 single figures, 16 sub-20 (38.5%, 61.5%)
Marvan: 126 c/innings, 49 single figures, 67 sub-20 (38.9%, 53.2%)

Draw your own conclusions!

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Pratyush said:
Atapattu also weant through a lean phase. The selectors should probably have seen other aspects if that is indeed the reason for him being dropped.
Other aspects like a much larger talent pool to select from?

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I thought he was really good during that 97 C and U series in Australia. IIRC, he even opened the batting for Pak against Aus in 99 in Aus with Saeed Anwar and he put on 76 for the first wicket and they even went through the first session at the Gabba with no wickets lost.... Strange that he is struggling to make club sides.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
marc71178 said:
Other aspects like a much larger talent pool to select from?
So according to you if a team has a slightly larger talent pool, it should keep chopping and changing 8-)

Shoaib

Banned
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
That's an excellent record?
That is an excellent record considering Pakistan has no opener who's average is in 30s since the retirement of Saeed Anwar.Pakistan need a solid opener like Saleem Elahi.His record would be a good reasom to promote him to national side.Pakistan r wasting an excellent player just like they've spoiled Hasan Raza and Shoaib Muhammad in the past.

Name Mat I NO Runs HS Ave 100 50 Ct St
Shoaib Mohammad 45 68 7 2705 203* 44.34 7 13 22 -
Hasan Raza 5 7 1 213 68 35.50 - 2 1 -
Mohammad Wasim 18 28 2 783 192 30.11 2 2 22 2
When Aamer Sohail became the chief of selectors in 2003,he said that hasan raza has been spoiled by giving test debut at very young age of 14.U can't expect from a 14 year old guy to get into the international cricket and score 100s straight on.Hasan Raza and Saleem Elahi both deserve to be in the side but Mohammad Wasim doesn't as he has a very poor record in domestic and international cricket.

Beleg

International Regular
That is an excellent record considering Pakistan has no opener who's average is in 30s since the retirement of Saeed Anwar.
Hameed, Umer, Farhat... just to name a few from the top of my head.

I am sure Salman Butt and Imran Nazir too have averages at least in 30's.

Check Elahi's record against Australia, England, South Africa, Sri Lanka, NZ and than say with a straight face that he is still a batting hope for Pakistan.

As I have said previously, he was completely incapable of keeping his bat seperate from the ball outside the off-stump - opposition feasted on that gladly.

Last edited:

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Pratyush said:
So according to you if a team has a slightly larger talent pool, it should keep chopping and changing 8-)
No, according to Marc, there is much greater pressure when there's a larger talent pool, hence an explaining factor to Atapattu getting a longer run.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Neil Pickup said:
No, according to Marc, there is much greater pressure when there's a larger talent pool, hence an explaining factor to Atapattu getting a longer run.
I know. But that is irrelevent. If you have faith in a player and believe he is good enough, you persist with him. You obviously do drop him if he doesnt keep performing beyond a point but that is not the sole criteria. If you find he is learning with every outing and has the adequate talent you persist with him regardless if having more players fighting for a specific spot.

Mypondering was on this specific aspect of whether he has the relevent talent and was good enough and did the selectors drop him based on solely his scores.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Pratyush said:
Ganga has failed many more times than Atapattu and Md. Wasim and surely you know that enough following Windies cricket closely to know that. The comparison isnt appropriate.
As Neil, pointed out, it was very appropriate.

You said Mohammed Wasim shouldn't have been dropped on the basis of:

"From what I saw of Md. Wasim, he was an excellent player. Unless Pakistan found some major flaw in his batting, I really dont know why he was dropped."

Then you suggested that Wasim should have been persisted with despite failure.

That and the stats that Neil posted, in what way is using Ganga not appropriate then?

Mr Mxyzptlk

Shoaib said:
That is an excellent record considering Pakistan has no opener who's average is in 30s since the retirement of Saeed Anwar.Pakistan need a solid opener like Saleem Elahi.
Have you not read the posts in this thread?? Imran Farhat, Salman Butt and Yasir Hameed all average over 30.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
That and the stats that Neil posted, in what way is using Ganga not appropriate then?
The number of innings. If you dont succeed in 54 innings you can almost be sure you wont in more. 26 innings with isnt all that bad if the player shows talent.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Pratyush said:
The number of innings. If you dont succeed in 54 innings you can almost be sure you wont in more. 26 innings with isnt all that bad if the player shows talent.
It's amazing that that's all you desire to take from my post. What about the initial comment pertaining to technique?

Ganga's first few innings were played before he even had a right to wash the feet of Test players. He then returned when he was more mature, but still incapable of handling the pressures of Test cricket. Still, he is young. I'd not want to give him another chance, but there's every likelihood that he'll rebound when he reaches his peak.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Pratyush said:
And yet again you completely miss the point then attack my post.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
marc71178 said:
How is it?

A lack of competition means players get more chances.
That is the point you made. But it is irrelevent.

I will explain again.Australia has a large player pool. It still persists with the players it feels have it in them usually.

A player (whether in a larger player pool or a smaller one) should be backed till a certain point if it the selectors can see some thing in the player talent wise.

This is why I pondered over whether the dropping of Wasim was related to his scores only or due to the faith of selectors because I saw potential in him.

I hope the point is clear now.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Pratyush said:
I will explain again.Australia has a large player pool. It still persists with the players it feels have it in them usually.
Yes, if they perform, they persist with them.

If they don't then they get the chop.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
marc71178 said:
No false accusation - you twisted what I said so you could attack it.
No I didnt attack you in any way. Please stop this crap thing you have thought in your mind. :wacko: