• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Memories of The Ashes 1974/75

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
I've just watched for the first time in 30 years footage of the series between Australia and England in 1974/75. The tapes have approximately an hour of highlights from all 6 tests.
Even though England lost 4-1 it is still great to see such historic footage. At the time in England all the coverage we had was 25 minutes of highlights late in the evening and two hours of live crackly radio in the early hours of the morning.
I'm hoping that somewhere out there is footage available of the following winters (Australian summer) series between Australia and the West Indies which Australia won 5-1.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
I saw very little of that series myself (as you say, coverage was conspicuous by its absence), but if I recall, that was one of the many where our side made the current Aussies look like spring chickens. It was also a series where Thommo was absolutely lethal. Didn't he give Cowdrey a huge working-over?

Welcome to CW - good to have another old fart around.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Thommo's peak, without question. He was an awfully inconsistent bowler and had some poor periods, but around 1975 he was one of the most lethal bowlers ever seen. That series, and the other you mention against the West Indies, he did wonderfully well.

Having said that, I've not seen any video footage of the famous 75 series against the West Indies, only read about it. I've seen plenty of footage from the next Ashes series in England which Australia took 1-0, but I'm not sure extensive footage of series in Australia at that time was really available, excluding for the Ashes obviously. Hopefully I'm wrong, because I'd love to see it too.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Colin Cowdrey did indeed have a torrid time when he went out to cover for injuries. The best batsman in England at that time was Geoffrey Boycott and he opted not to go and didn't play again for three years. His place in the original party was taken by 36 year old Brian Luckhurst who sadly died recently. England also chose not to select their fastest bowler, John Snow. This meant that the two men who had done most to win the Ashes on the previous tour were not present. Had they both been on the tour I believe one or two of the Test Matches might have been closer but the series score of 4-1 would not have been any different.

archie mac

International Coach
This was the first Test Series I ever watched, if you have a chance have a look at Mike Coward's DVD 'The Chappell Years' it has quite a bit of footage of both the 1974-75 and 1975-76 series. It also features lots of interviews of the players from both of those series. :)

Ashes to Ashes, dust to dust, if Thommo doesen't get ya Lillee must!

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
archie mac said:
Ashes to Ashes, Funk to Funky,
Shane's mum's chemist served a junkie.

(I am so sorry, I just couldn't resist it)

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
archie mac said:
This was the first Test Series I ever watched, if you have a chance have a look at Mike Coward's DVD 'The Chappell Years' it has quite a bit of footage of both the 1974-75 and 1975-76 series. It also features lots of interviews of the players from both of those series. :)

I've got the DVD and VHS version of The Chappell Years. I bought the VHS Boxed Set because it includes the two 3 hour tapes with highlights of the 74/75 Ashes series. The DVD version doesn't have that series but has extensive highlights of the Centenary Test in 1977 which the VHS set doesn't have.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
FaaipDeOiad said:
Thommo's peak, without question. He was an awfully inconsistent bowler and had some poor periods, but around 1975 he was one of the most lethal bowlers ever seen. That series, and the other you mention against the West Indies, he did wonderfully well.

Having said that, I've not seen any video footage of the famous 75 series against the West Indies, only read about it. I've seen plenty of footage from the next Ashes series in England which Australia took 1-0, but I'm not sure extensive footage of series in Australia at that time was really available, excluding for the Ashes obviously. Hopefully I'm wrong, because I'd love to see it too.
Prior to his injury against Pakistan in 76/77, he was probably the quickest bowler ever (recent studies have shown that he bowled in excess of 170 ks).

Unfortunately, that injury to his shoulder brought him back to the pack somewhat and he was never consistently as lethal again.

archie mac

International Coach
The book on the series"Test of Nerves" by Frank Tyson. Was one of the 1st Cricket books I ever read, (6 times) I like to pick a combined side when I read a tour book, so here is this one, bare in mind I was only 10 at the time. I certainly have Tangles high on the batting list and no Ian Chappell?

Redpath
Edrich
Greg Chappell
Walker
Walters
Greig
Knott
Lillee
Mallett
Thomson
Willis

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Max Walker would certainly be flattered to see himself batting at Number 4.
This would be my eleven.

McCosker
Redpath
Chappell I
chappell G
Walters
Greig
Knott
Lillee
Underwood
Thomson
Willis

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
luckyeddie said:

Bonus points for incorporating a Bowie song.

Swervy

International Captain
luckyeddie said:

I am sure he will be a 'Star man' this summer

archie mac

International Coach
Lillian Thomson said:
This would be my eleven.

McCosker
Redpath
Chappell I
chappell G
Walters
Greig
Knott
Lillee
Underwood
Thomson
Willis
A much better side, although I thought Edrich faced the music better than most.

I wonder how the current lot would go facing Thommo and Lillee with no helmets, and no limits on Bumpers?

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Lillian Thomson said:
This would be my eleven.

McCosker
Redpath
Chappell I
chappell G
Walters
Greig
Knott
Lillee
Underwood
Thomson
Willis
I wonder how your top 5 would have fared against the Aus attack. Didn't even England's batsmen make hay when L&T missed the final test?

I always thought Amiss was rather unfairly criticised for his failures in that series, especially when you see how the very good WI lineup struggled 12 months later, and I suspect that he was as good as the Aus openers. OTOH, Willis was still a long way from being the finished article in 1974/5 and I'd probably pick Walker.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Lillian Thomson said:
Colin Cowdrey did indeed have a torrid time when he went out to cover for injuries. The best batsman in England at that time was Geoffrey Boycott and he opted not to go and didn't play again for three years. His place in the original party was taken by 36 year old Brian Luckhurst who sadly died recently. England also chose not to select their fastest bowler, John Snow. This meant that the two men who had done most to win the Ashes on the previous tour were not present. Had they both been on the tour I believe one or two of the Test Matches might have been closer but the series score of 4-1 would not have been any different.
Snow hadn't played for England for a year or so before that tour, so it wasn't a surprise when he wasn't picked. Would he & Boycs have made a difference? I think you're probably right that they wouldn't. Maybe England would have made a better fist of the first test, but Aus were far too strong to be seriously troubled.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
wpdavid said:
Snow hadn't played for England for a year or so before that tour, so it wasn't a surprise when he wasn't picked. Would he & Boycs have made a difference? I think you're probably right that they wouldn't. Maybe England would have made a better fist of the first test, but Aus were far too strong to be seriously troubled.
Mike Denness has gone on record as saying that he tried everything to persuade the selectors that John Snow should go to Australia and it's interesting that he returned for the following summers series in England and also played against the West Indies in 1976.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Lillian Thomson said:
Mike Denness has gone on record as saying that he tried everything to persuade the selectors that John Snow should go to Australia and it's interesting that he returned for the following summers series in England and also played against the West Indies in 1976.
I didn't know about Denness' wishes. As you say, Snow did come back the following summer and did pretty well. To be honest, I'd forgotten that he played in all 4 tests in 1975 until I checked Cricinfo after your last message. He was a class act, no question.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
wpdavid said:
I wonder how your top 5 would have fared against the Aus attack. Didn't even England's batsmen make hay when L&T missed the final test?

I always thought Amiss was rather unfairly criticised for his failures in that series, especially when you see how the very good WI lineup struggled 12 months later, and I suspect that he was as good as the Aus openers. OTOH, Willis was still a long way from being the finished article in 1974/5 and I'd probably pick Walker.
Lillee was not the finished article in that series. He had just returned from a long injury layoff and still relatively raw. He was similar to Lee today - quick, movement but not overly accurate.

Thomson was frighteningly quick and all over the place.

Both Thommo and Lillee bowled seriously quickly all day.

Walker was an underrated bowler. Big inswing and leg-cutters combined with accuracy at about 130 ks.

Gilmour was a predecessor to Wasim Akram - left-arm swing in both directions at good pace and a big hitter. His career was curtailed by off-field activities that led to gout, regular hang-overs, etc.

Mallett was a good off-spinner for the time but would be handled easily today.

Finally, the wickets were very bowler oriented.

Brisbane and Sydney were absolute green-tops whilst Perth was much quicker than today.

On today's wickets, Id back today's batting lineup.

On wickets of 74-75, no batting line-up would be confident.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
social said:
Gilmour was a predecessor to Wasim Akram - left-arm swing in both directions at good pace and a big hitter. His career was curtailed by off-field activities that led to gout, regular hang-overs, etc.
Gilmour didn't play in the 74/75 series.