• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Which country has produced some of the finest cricketers?

cricket player

International Debutant
Which country is it,In my opinion it is pakistan behind India then Australia then West indies,

Pakistan
Imran khan
Wasim Akram
Waqar Younis
Saeed Anwar
Javed miandad
Shoaib Akhtar
Inzamam ul haq
Etc

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
If we're talking of all time, then it's got to be either England or Australia. It stands to reason that the two teams who've been longest in existance would be at the top of producing quality cricketers. If I had to make a choice, I'd say England but only just.

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
cricket player said:
That is the only great player they have produced besides warne and mcgrath.
So someone like Steve Waugh isn't up to the standard of Saeed Anwar or Shoaib Akhtar?

Top_Cat

That is the only great player they have produced besides warne and mcgrath
Alan Border
Greg Chappell
Steve Waugh
Dennis Lillee
Neil Harvey
Ritchie Benaud
Bill O'Reilly
Clarrie Grimmett

And so on.

And your characterisation of Shoaib Akhtar as 'great' is laughable.

Top_Cat

Some one like steve waugh wouldnt able to hit 194 in odis some one like steve waugh wont break 100mhp speed.
There are a couple of Aussie players who have come close to that 194, y'know (Mark Waugh and Adam Gilchrist). And in all likeliness Gilchrist will be regarded as a 'great' when his career is finished for many other reasons than his highest ODI score.

And as for the 100mph speed, Jeff Thomson was likely even quicker yet does this make him a 'great' player? I think not.

cric_manic

First Class Debutant
West Indies-
Sir Frank Worrell
George Headley
Malcolm Marshall
Sir Garfield Sobers
Sir Vivian Richards
B.Lara

Plus many more

cricket player

International Debutant
Top_Cat said:
Alan Border
Greg Chappell
Steve Waugh
Dennis Lillee
Neil Harvey
Ritchie Benaud
Bill O'Reilly
Clarrie Grimmett

And so on.

I understand he is not all that great in terms of being responsible and being respectfull,but He is the worlds fast bowler and if you dont call that great then I dont know what you call great.

cricket player

International Debutant
Top_Cat said:
There are a couple of Aussie players who have come close to that 194, y'know (Mark Waugh and Adam Gilchrist). And in all likeliness Gilchrist will be regarded as a 'great' when his career is finished for many other reasons than his highest ODI score.

And as for the 100mph speed, Jeff Thomson was likely even quicker yet does this make him a 'great' player? I think not.
I dont care If they came close beating saeed anwars record what matters for me is who holds that world record and that my friend is saeed anwar,

southern man

U19 Cricketer
Top_Cat said:
Alan Border
Greg Chappell
Steve Waugh
Dennis Lillee
Neil Harvey
Ritchie Benaud
Bill O'Reilly
Clarrie Grimmett

And so on.

Kiwi :p

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
cricket player said:
That is the only great player they have produced besides warne and mcgrath.
Haha.

My ranking in terms of the all-time XIs and how strong they are would be roughly:

Australia
West Indies
England
South Africa
Pakistan
India
New Zealand
Sri Lanka
Zimbabwe
Bangladesh

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
My order

Australia
West Indies
Pakistan
England
South Africa
India
New Zealand
Sri Lanka
Zimbabwe

Bangladesh and Kenya and every one else have been playing for too small a period to disect between them and havent produced substantial number of quality cricketers yet.

Top_Cat

I understand he is not all that great in terms of being responsible and being respectfull,but He is the worlds fast bowler and if you dont call that great then I dont know what you call great.
Number 1, he's not the fastest bowler anymore. Get over it.

Number 2, being fast != being great.

And southern_man, I KNEW some Kiwi would bring that up but he played all his cricket for Aus so :p right back at ya. :D

Anyway, if there's one thing us Aussies excell at it's claiming other country's stars as our own. Phar Lap, Mel Gibson (USA) and Russell Crowe come to mind (although, you can have Crowe back..............).

cricket player

International Debutant
Top_Cat said:
Number 1, he's not the fastest bowler anymore. Get over it.

Number 2, being fast != being great.

And southern_man, I KNEW some Kiwi would bring that up but he played all his cricket for Aus so :p right back at ya. :D

Anyway, if there's one thing us Aussies excell at it's claiming other country's stars as our own. Phar Lap, Mel Gibson (USA) and Russell Crowe come to mind (although, you can have Crowe back..............).
2,Being The first Man In History of Cricket by Breaking The 100 barrier=Great If not then =what

Mr Mxyzptlk

cricket player said:
2,Being The first Man In History of Cricket by Breaking The 100 barrier=Great If not then =what
That's an achievement, not a career.

Get some perception of the sport.

Top_Cat

:wallbash:

I reiterate; being fast != great.

Sorry but my criteria for greatness is a little more stringent than the capability to record a speed 1/2km/h faster than Jeff Thomson.