• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Which country has produced some of the finest cricketers?

Swervy

International Captain
SJS said:
That is a remarkable subject to debate ! Here are some more to keep people occupied.

1. Which country has produced some of the most decent opening batsmen ?

2. Which country has produced some of the ordinary fast bowlers ?

3. Which country has produced some of the unremarkable fielders ?

4. Which country has produced some of the less competent wicket keepers ?

5. Which country has produced any of the above ?

Have a great day :p
I have the answer to all 5 questions....INDIA :D

Langeveldt

Soutie
Considering for most of it's history, South Africa has only had about 10% of the population (ie white) able to play FC cricket, i think it's got the best star per person ratio...

Barry Richards
Graeme Pollock
Peter Pollock
Allan Donald
Shaun Pollock
Mike Proctor
Clive Rice

etc. etc.

Swervy

International Captain
Langeveldt said:
Considering for most of it's history, South Africa has only had about 10% of the population (ie white) able to play FC cricket, i think it's got the best star per person ratio...

Barry Richards
Graeme Pollock
Peter Pollock
Allan Donald
Shaun Pollock
Mike Proctor
Clive Rice

etc. etc.
what better than WI's?

Slifer

International Captain
Barbados alone in the WI would beat South Africa and it only has a population of about 270,000

C_C

International Captain
If we go by just nations and per capita, this is a no-contest. Barbados has produced the most number of great/good cricketers per capita than any other nation.

This is probably how Barbados squad of 15 would look like:

Gordon Greenidge
Desmond Haynes
Conrad Hunte
Gary Sobers
Frank Worrell
Clyde Walcott
Everton Weekes
Semour Nurse
David Murray
Malcolm Marshall
Joel Garner
Wes Hall
Charlie Griffith
Sylvester Clarke
Wayne Daniel

All that from a nation of quarter million people.......and an XI selected from this list could probably give anybody a run for their money.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Swervy said:
and this is where the definition of what a great player falls down...

Geoff Howarth??? Not much more than a competent international player!!!
Ewan Chatfield?? A good bowler yes....great..far from it
Duleep Mendis?? Village green slogger more like
Ratnayeke and Ratnayake?? Decent players who in fact would probably struggle to get into the current SL team

Sri Lanka have produced ONE great cricketer so far, Murali..they have produced several very very good batsmen, Aravinda being number one over a long period of time..wouldnt call him a great though.
A player like Roy Dias was certainly a very capable batsman and if he had have played in the current era, may well have been looked upon as one of the better of his time.

NZ have produced a few more..Richard Hadlee being the obvious number one. Glenn Turner and Martin Crowe are probably the best batsmen they have ever produced and I would certainly put them ability wise very high up on any list of players I have seen play
I take your point.

What I was saying was that these are the greatest among the Sri Lankan cricketers thus far !!

Definitely not by comparison to the Vast Vast number of great cricketers :D produced by a Test Cricket playing Nation which despite playing 126 years of Test Cricket prides itself on coming number 2 to the other nation that has played Test cricket the same number of years !! :laugh: :laugh:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
cricket player said:
Imran Khan
Wasim Akram
Waqar Younis
Shoaib Akhtar
Javed Miandad
Inzamam ul haq
Saeed Anwar
Saqlain Mushtaq

Hands down will crush Indias finest cricketers,In this case pakistan wins.
Shoaib Akhtar?? Youve got to be kidding!!

cricket player

International Debutant
crickhowell said:
Afghanistan has a national team, see SPIN magazine , may 2005
They are ICC affliates,

In the ACC(Asia Cricket Council)It was an tournament if They would have won it they would played in the ICC Trophy but instead Oman and UAE qualified for The ICC

UAE Finishing 1
Oman Finished second which they both qualified for ICC trophy,

Afghanistan in the other hand,

Beat
Hong kong
Malaysia
Iran

They Finished 6 in The ACC trophy

What an Achievement for a team that doesnt have good facilities and neither have good coaching to go with,

They have The ability to beat any affliates as they have showin,

Their batting is top class,And bowling alot to be desired but it is alright,
I am really proud of those boys,24 years of war in Afghanistan :@
Instead of guns young man now picking up cricket bats,
A great achievement boys,good luck in the future :)