• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Which country has produced some of the finest cricketers?

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
cricket player said:
How many Continents in the world? 7
It's moments like these that I wish we had PMs, if only so that I could help you stop making a fool of yourself. *sigh*

Craig

World Traveller
Voltman said:
The other one is John F Reid, who was the caretaker coach for NZ at the end of 1994/5 when Geoff Howarth went off to the winebar permanently.

Here's my NZ list:
Bert Sutcliffe
Martin Donnelly
Sir Richard Hadlee
Stewie Dempster
Martin Crowe
Glenn Turner

I don't think anyone else quite makes the cut yet. Let's see how blokes like Bondy go over the next few years.
How about Stephen Fleming given what he has done as captain and where he stands on the list of all-time New Zealand run scorers.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Craig said:
How about Stephen Fleming given what he has done as captain and where he stands on the list of all-time New Zealand run scorers.
No - afraid not. His position on the runscoring list is more down to longevity than actual realisation of talent.

He still averages under 40 in tests after all.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Beleg said:
Martin Crowe is a great in my book. So is Arvinda De Silva.

Other Sri-Lankan notables: Jayasuria, Attapatu, Ranatunga, Tilkaratne, Mendis, Vass.
Other NZ-notables: Chris Cairns, Turner, (opener from the fifties, forgot his name), Fleming, John Wright, Lance Cairns. (must be some more)

I'd say NZ hedges Sri Lanka slightly.

My own listing with regard to all time strongest teams:

West Indies
Australia
England
Pakistan
South Africa
India
NZ
Sri Lanka
Zimbabwe
Bangladesh
As a Sri Lankan I would say, NZ has produced far more number of fine cricketers in its cricketing history !! SL is still a long way away from NZ , IMO. But in 50 years time when the history of Cricket is written then, I hope we would have produced many more great cricketers that we would be amongst the foremost cricketing countries !!

Great NZ cricketers that I have read about- Sir Richard Hadlee, Martin Crowe, Geoff Howarth, Martin Donnelly, Stewart Dempster, Walter Hadlee, Glen Turner, Ewan Chatfield and so on .....

Greatest SL cricketers thus far , IMO

Murali, Aravinda de Silva, Jayasuriya, Ranatunga, Roy Dias, Duleep Mendis, Rumesh Ratnayake, Vaas, Ravi Ratnayake, Lalith Kaluperuma, D S De Silva, Madugalle .

But NZ has produced far far greater cricketing talent than us ,IMO.

Swervy

International Captain
JASON said:
As a Sri Lankan I would say, NZ has produced far more number of fine cricketers in its cricketing history !! SL is still a long way away from NZ , IMO. But in 50 years time when the history of Cricket is written then, I hope we would have produced many more great cricketers that we would be amongst the foremost cricketing countries !!

Great NZ cricketers that I have read about- Sir Richard Hadlee, Martin Crowe, Geoff Howarth, Martin Donnelly, Stewart Dempster, Walter Hadlee, Glen Turner, Ewan Chatfield and so on .....

Greatest SL cricketers thus far , IMO

Murali, Aravinda de Silva, Jayasuriya, Ranatunga, Roy Dias, Duleep Mendis, Rumesh Ratnayake, Vaas, Ravi Ratnayake, Lalith Kaluperuma, D S De Silva, Madugalle .

But NZ has produced far far greater cricketing talent than us ,IMO.
and this is where the definition of what a great player falls down...

Geoff Howarth??? Not much more than a competent international player!!!
Ewan Chatfield?? A good bowler yes....great..far from it
Duleep Mendis?? Village green slogger more like
Ratnayeke and Ratnayake?? Decent players who in fact would probably struggle to get into the current SL team

Sri Lanka have produced ONE great cricketer so far, Murali..they have produced several very very good batsmen, Aravinda being number one over a long period of time..wouldnt call him a great though.
A player like Roy Dias was certainly a very capable batsman and if he had have played in the current era, may well have been looked upon as one of the better of his time.

NZ have produced a few more..Richard Hadlee being the obvious number one. Glenn Turner and Martin Crowe are probably the best batsmen they have ever produced and I would certainly put them ability wise very high up on any list of players I have seen play

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Swervy said:
Geoff Howarth??? Not much more than a competent international player!!!
World-class wine drinker though. :D

Ewan Chatfield?? A good bowler yes....great..far from it
He was the greatest international bowler/courier driver ever...

Swervy

International Captain
Voltman said:
World-class wine drinker though. :D
whats the story about Howarth and wine then?? Is he an alchy or something.

Last i saw of him, he looked a bit rough :beer:

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Swervy said:
whats the story about Howarth and wine then?? Is he an alchy or something.

Last i saw of him, he looked a bit rough :beer:
He liked the odd drop.

"Odd" in Geoff's case meaning "often".

The NZ players expressed concerns about his drinking on the 1994 tour of South Africa.

crickhowell

U19 Vice-Captain
cricket player said:
Because you were born in nation who has a odi statue and a test statue as well,

I was born in Afghanistan,Non cricket playing nation.
Afghanistan has a national team, see SPIN magazine , may 2005

crickhowell

U19 Vice-Captain
Voltman said:
Reading.

Martin Donnelly played in the 1930s and 1940s, and Bert Sutcliffe in the 1940s-60s. I was born in 1979. Yet I know about them... :p
i was born in 1991 and know all about them!

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Voltman said:
Reading.

Martin Donnelly played in the 1930s and 1940s, and Bert Sutcliffe in the 1940s-60s. I was born in 1979. Yet I know about them... :p
Pillow talk from their exs?

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
That is a remarkable subject to debate ! Here are some more to keep people occupied.

1. Which country has produced some of the most decent opening batsmen ?

2. Which country has produced some of the ordinary fast bowlers ?

3. Which country has produced some of the unremarkable fielders ?

4. Which country has produced some of the less competent wicket keepers ?

5. Which country has produced any of the above ?

Have a great day :p