• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Which country has produced some of the finest cricketers?

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Shoaib said:
Saqlain is one of the best odi spinners of all times.Saqlain has taken 288 wickets @21.78.No Indian bowler can do it but in dreams.
Anil Kumble alone is a superior Test match spinner to Saqlain. That counts more than ODI merit.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
crickhowell said:
There were some amazing NZers who would have been greats had they played for Aussie
John R Reid (im not american there was another john reid with a different middle initial no-one can remember)
Stewie Dempster
Bert Sutcliffe
Debbie Hockley (one of the best women players of all-time)
Dan Vettori will probably be when he retires

A big thing that determines a players perceived 'greatness' is the teams sucess, there have been some true greats, Bradman for one but some 'great' players are only very good in a great team.

NZ cricket-wise is a 'nearly' nation and because of it a lot of our best players are forgotten
The other one is John F Reid, who was the caretaker coach for NZ at the end of 1994/5 when Geoff Howarth went off to the winebar permanently.

Here's my NZ list:
Bert Sutcliffe
Martin Donnelly
Sir Richard Hadlee
Stewie Dempster
Martin Crowe
Glenn Turner

I don't think anyone else quite makes the cut yet. Let's see how blokes like Bondy go over the next few years.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Voltman said:
I don't think anyone else quite makes the cut yet. Let's see how blokes like Bondy go over the next few years.
Bond? He's still around? Could've sworn he retired to become a physiotherapist. :p

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
cricket player said:
Imran Khan
Wasim Akram
Waqar Younis
Shoaib Akhtar
Javed Miandad
Inzamam ul haq
Saeed Anwar
Saqlain Mushtaq

Hands down will crush Indias finest cricketers,In this case pakistan wins.
(!)

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
crickhowell said:
There were some amazing NZers who would have been greats had they played for Aussie

Dan Vettori will probably be when he retires
Except if Australian he'd not get anywhere near the side.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Best?

Never heard of people like Qadir?

Actually looking at your list, you've not heard of anyone since 1990.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
cricket player said:
1990 is when I was born so tell me how should I know their names?
Reading.

Martin Donnelly played in the 1930s and 1940s, and Bert Sutcliffe in the 1940s-60s. I was born in 1979. Yet I know about them... :p

cricket player

International Debutant
Because you were born in nation who has a odi statue and a test statue as well,

I was born in Afghanistan,Non cricket playing nation.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
cricket player said:
Because you were born in nation who has a odi statue and a test statue as well,

I was born in Afghanistan,Non cricket playing nation.
You have access to the Internet, obviously.

Take time out to read some of the biographies on Cricinfo.

Mr Mxyzptlk

I was born in Trinidad (of Trinidad and Tobago). My country doesn't have Test or ODI status. I was born in 1987. I know a fair bit about the history of the game.

Have you heard of Don Bradman by chance? He was around a lil bit before 1990.

cricket player

International Debutant
Yes I know don bradman,

I uderstand that I dont know more then you guys about history of cricket,but I am going with what I know.
Btw Trinidad isnt a country it is an island.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
cricket player said:
Then what is West Indies an Island?
The West Indies is a whole bunch of islands, including many seperate countries such as Jamaica, Trinidad & Tobago and so on. As far as I'm aware it doesn't exist as a single entity for any purpose except cricket these days. In other sports they compete seperately.