Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Substitution Tactics

Cricket Web Staff Member / Global Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar

Substitution Tactics

Okay, I know most of us don't like substitutions, but they're happening as of next week - so we might as well get used to it for the time being and have a think about how best they could be used.

Let's hear some ideas!
    MSN Messenger: minardineil2000 at hotmail dot com | AAAS Chairman
    CricketWeb Black | CricketWeb XI Captain
    ClarkeWatch: We're Watching Rikki - Are You?

Up The Grecians - Exeter City FC

Completing the Square: My Cricket Web Blog

First 10 overs will stay the same, then rest used between 20 and 40 over period, might make scores lower as unprepared batsman would need time before freeing up their arms.

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    As I understand it the sub must be named before the toss (otherwise it's a real no-brainer), so I think generally subs will be bowlers who bat a bit & batters who bowl a bit so the captain (I'm assuming the captain has the say when to make the sub) has both suits covered.

The Aussies could have someone like Symonds or Harvey as their sub. If they bat first someone like Hayden could be subbed & if they bowl McGrath would get the ar$e. If they bowl first I could see McGrath (or whoever) bowling out at the outset & then the sub coming straight on.

I'm not in favour of subs, BTW.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"as much a news event as an actual footballer, a worthy stop-start centre forward, but an all-time hyper-galactico when it comes to doing funny things with cars and hats, a player whose signing proves once again that the Premier League is still undoubtedly the best in the world when it comes to doing things with cars and hats."
    - Barney Ronay on Mario Balotelli

Hall of Fame Member superkingdave's Avatar
    The commentators seem confused about it they were talking about someone replacing someone who had bowled his ten, and then bowling himself. This can't happen and i assume that if someone were to replace a player who has batted and got out, he can't bat himself
    Dave Mohammed >>>> You

Stranger leering through a pair of binoculars
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil Pickup
    Okay, I know most of us don't like substitutions, but they're happening as of next week - so we might as well get used to it for the time being and have a think about how best they could be used.

Let's hear some ideas!
    Substitutions...huh...Yes im a little out of it...
    Mark Waugh
    "He's [Michael Clarke] on Twitter saying sorry for not walking? Mate if he did that in our side there'd be hell to play. AB would chuck his Twitter box off the balcony or whatever it is. Sorry for not walking? Jesus Christ man."
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put it into a fruit salad
    RIP Craigos

That's correct. For that reason I can't see tactics being much different to starting with seamers and replacing one quick with a batsman when he's bowled out.

It would be most likely an allrounder who is quite good at both batting and bowling, e.g Cairns in his heyday would replace Chris Martin once he has bowled out, or a guy like Mark Richardson after he has batted

Quote Originally Posted by shaka
    It would be most likely an allrounder who is quite good at both batting and bowling, e.g Cairns in his heyday would replace Chris Martin once he has bowled out, or a guy like Mark Richardson after he has batted
    Then Cairns wouldn't get to bat or bowl, which is daft.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Pickup
    Then Cairns wouldn't get to bat or bowl, which is daft.
    Yes he would because he would take over one position therefore would be eligible to bowl or bat depending on whether his replacee has batted / bowled or not. thats how I understand the rule

well form what i understand you name your subs at the toss, but just a questiom how many players can be subsituted for the 2nd part of the innings??

Yes he would because he would take over one position therefore would be eligible to bowl or bat depending on whether his replacee has batted / bowled or not. thats how I understand the rule
    If you replace Martin with Cairns after Martin has bowled his 10, Cairns inherits Martin's 10 which have already been used.

If you replace an opening bat with Cairns after the opening bat is out, Cairns inherits that position and so by definition is 'out' too.

Otherwise you end up with 11 wickets, which really isn't cricket!

but then he could do the other, e.g. bat for Martin or field / bowl for Richardson, one really would not want Martin to bat or Richardson to field

Hall of Fame Member superkingdave's Avatar
    but then he could do the other, e.g. bat for Martin or field / bowl for Richardson, one really would not want Martin to bat or Richardson to field
    yeah but you'd want Cairns to be able to do both

its likely to be an allrounder who gets the position under the new rules, ie someone who can do both, the choice afaik is done before the toss is made, ie when the team for the game is given to officials before walking to the pitch to conduct the toss.

The substitute thing makes it more unlikely for a 12th man to go and play for his club, alas Brett Lee wont be able to go and play for NSW or something.

Quote Originally Posted by superkingdave
    The commentators seem confused about it they were talking about someone replacing someone who had bowled his ten, and then bowling himself. This can't happen and i assume that if someone were to replace a player who has batted and got out, he can't bat himself
    I think theres a slight chance you may be wrong. As far as I have understood the rule, it is possible for a substitute to bat although the person substituted off has already gotten out but in that case the regular number 11 is not allowed to bat.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong - this whole rule is pretty confusing.
    Founder & President of VSAS

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information