• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The victim of a bad umpire

cricket player

International Debutant
Last week I mean last week I was given out caught behind,but it wasnt to be,The leg umpire wasnt even convinced that the ball touched my bat neither Did I.The ball was a mile of my bat,

We are lacking behind knowledge able umpires these days, :huh:

Swervy

International Captain
cricket player said:
Last week I mean last week I was given out caught behind,but it wasnt to be,The leg umpire wasnt even convinced that the ball touched my bat neither Did I.The ball was a mile of my bat,

We are lacking behind knowledge able umpires these days, :huh:
bad decisions have been throughout history at all levels of the game. I have batted 6 times this season and twice been out to errors by the umpire,and throughout my time of player cricket at whatever level (24 years now), I have been on the receiving end of some howlers.

Just one of those things.

You should be happy that someone is willing to give up an afternoon to umpire for you

cricket player

International Debutant
Swervy said:
bad decisions have been throughout history at all levels of the game. I have batted 6 times this season and twice been out to errors by the umpire,and throughout my time of player cricket at whatever level (24 years now), I have been on the receiving end of some howlers.

Just one of those things.

You should be happy that someone is willing to give up an afternoon to umpire for you
The guy gets money he doesnt umpire for nothing :)

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
cricket player said:
The guy gets money he doesnt umpire for nothing :)
At the end of the day his expenses might just about cover his petrol money.

If you have ever umpired, you would know that it's an exacting task - and on many occasions a thankless one. Periods of intense concentration, having to remember to stand on one leg and do a little hop every now and again, keeping an eye out for a cloud on the horizon so you can check your light-meter and, of course, the hours and hours spent practicing those signals remembering to keep your index fingers bent, to say nothing of wearing a silly white stetson and saying "Aaave come fer ma boy" like Simon Taufel does all the time - although he DOES actually say "Aaave come fer ma boy Bruce, ya drongo sport" but you get the message.

It's a hard life being an umpire.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
As a cricket player (no pun intended!), there is bound to be anger at an umpire when given a bad decision. After all there is a lot of effort and hard work put in my a cricket player(again not referring to you cp - you are hardly serious! ;))But what is important is to take it in your strde and act like a sportsman.

When you play the game you accept the umpire being the final authority. He can make a decision which does not go in your favour, some times even very obvious mistakes. But he hasnt done it intentionally. It is just an error of judgement and it should be accepted with humility..

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Pratyush said:
But he hasnt done it intentionally. It is just an error of judgement and it should be accepted with humility..
Exactly. You can always beat him up on the car park afterwards.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
luckyeddie said:
Exactly. You can always beat him up on the car park afterwards.
Now Fardin is a good/innocent young Pakistani lad/boy. He would never do such a thing!

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Pratyush said:
Now Fardin is a good/innocent young Pakistani lad/boy. He would never do such a thing!
Sorry, I never meant to imply that he would.

Fardin - get someone else to beat him up just to be sure :D .

Barney Rubble

International Coach
How about this one - I got bowled, for a very scratchy 7, earlier in the season, and I thought "ok, fair enough, good ball on a bad pitch", and walked off. My team-mate who was at the non-striker's end later told me (as I had noticed when I was there) that that particular bowler had been bowling no-balls all day and the umpire had only call about 3 of them. He said the ball that had got me was a no-ball by about 6 inches over the crease, which was a little frustrating.

About 3 weeks later, I spoke to my coach who was umpiring at the other end in that game, and he said that when I got out, and as I was walking off, their umpire had come up to him and said "that was a no-ball I'm afraid, but I forgot to call it in time - he'd already started walking off. Sorry". That was so infuriating - I was about 10 feet away from him, why didn't he just call me back? And how can you "forget" to call a no-ball? Grrrrrr..... :@

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Barney Rubble said:
How about this one - I got bowled, for a very scratchy 7, earlier in the season, and I thought "ok, fair enough, good ball on a bad pitch", and walked off. My team-mate who was at the non-striker's end later told me (as I had noticed when I was there) that that particular bowler had been bowling no-balls all day and the umpire had only call about 3 of them. He said the ball that had got me was a no-ball by about 6 inches over the crease, which was a little frustrating.

About 3 weeks later, I spoke to my coach who was umpiring at the other end in that game, and he said that when I got out, and as I was walking off, their umpire had come up to him and said "that was a no-ball I'm afraid, but I forgot to call it in time - he'd already started walking off. Sorry". That was so infuriating - I was about 10 feet away from him, why didn't he just call me back? And how can you "forget" to call a no-ball? Grrrrrr..... :@
In this case you are entitled to blame the umpire. The umpire has the power to and should have changed decision within 3 minues(or thirty seconds?) of making the initial decision.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Pratyush said:
In this case you are entitled to blame the umpire. The umpire has the power to and should have changed decision within 3 minues(or thirty seconds?) of making the initial decision.
He has until the next ball or something, right? In this case, the outcome of the match would unlikely have been changed by my dismissal, because we were a school 3rd XI playing another school's 1st XI, who were a worse standard than us but with two high-class players who we should not reasonably have been playing against. One bowler skittled us for 84, and one batsman smacked 54* of the target - we took three wickets, even though he was hoarding the strike, showing we could have won if he'd got out cheaply.

However, in some games, the early dismissal of an opening batsman and captain (that's me :D ) for 7 would have a great impact on the result, so there's no reasonable excuse for an umpire doing that. I've probably played over 100 matches in my short life, and that's the worst injustice I've ever been on the wrong end of.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Pratyush said:
Yes, it was a mistake, and that's darn stiff.

But alternatively (this is a bit different to Barney's situation, but still) imagine your an umpire, its a line ball decision on a no-ball, and you hesitate for a second. Suddenly the batsman is bowled, and you haven't yelled out the "No-Ball!" call yet, and if you do so it'll look fairly dodgy happening after the dismissal has already occurred.

It is a ridiculously thankless job, umpiring.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Do what I do - get comprehensively bowled every time, so you don't ever have to worry about getting sawn off...

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
Neil Pickup said:
Do what I do - get comprehensively bowled every time, so you don't ever have to worry about getting sawn off...
That doesn't prevent a noey like Barney Rubble

chekmeout

U19 Debutant
Well, I have only been on the receiving end of a bad decision once and it was a shockingly bad decision in a very crucial match. It was the final match of the season and victory would propel us to second position in the Inter-School tournament. We had skittled the other team out for a paltry 124 runs and we were expected to easily win the match. Since it was the final match of the tournament and until that point I had been the leading run-scorer of the tournament, I needed one decent innings here to ensure the Player of the Tournament trophy.

My innings got off to a slow start with me just making a couple of runs in the third over. Then I started to pick up the pace and hit three consecutive fours. On the fourth ball the bowler bowled a shortish delivery which bounced and hit me on the top part of my thigh while I was standing well outside leg stump. Just for the heck of it, the bowler appealed and the umpire gave it out! Even the bowler was shocked and apologised to me later but I was so seriously ****ed off at that point. We didn't even win the match, we tied the game and lost our second place though I still got the Player of the Tournament :p..

But when I thought over it, I realised that it was no biggie and it happens so often. And I really shouldn't be complaining as I had had a couple of good decisions in the game before. I mean once I had clearly nicked the ball, didn't walk and the umpire didn't give me out. But irrespective of whether you get a good decision earlier, when you get a bad decision its bluddy ****ing off!! :D