• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

walk or not???

Shounak

Banned
Pratyush said:
Yes the have the responsibility to make the correct decisions and they can do it better if players help them with more honesty.
Agreed. But we live in a world with door locks, car locks, theft, burgalaries, muggings, rape, lalalalalalalalalalala.. We're at a stage in cricket where no matter what a boundary fielder signals to the umpire. They will always resort to the walkie talkie. There is no trust.

But in principle, I agree with every single you've typed.

howardj

International Coach
There are some general principles regarding walking that are worth mentioning:

* It's OK to walk - it's great if someone walks, but just don't expect everyone to

* It's OK not to walk - it's the umpire's job to make decisions, and as long as you do not deliberately mislead him (by rubbing your arm, when its hit your glove, for instance) then you're fine

* Even players who do walk, are selective walkers - they walk only when it suits them. For instance, it's amazing that Gilchrist only started walking in 2002/03 - after he became well and truly entrenched in the Australian team. Dont recall him walking much back in the late 1990's when he was trying to establish himself in the ODI and Test teams.

* If you do not walk, and are out, but are given not out, you should rightfully expect to cop some verbal from the opposition.

Last edited:

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Swervy said:
Pratyush..do you play cricket yourself??
I have played a lot of cricket with my mates but now I just work and watch it. I am just too much of an idealist undrealistic person in most things not just cricket though :(

Chubb

International Regular
I think walking is the gentlemanly and fair thing to do... but i've never done it. Last year I was on 22 opening for Upottery against a backwoods village side called Luppitt. I attempted a hook but I mistimed it badly, and I gloved it through to the keeper. I was expecting to be given out but my team mate umpire Snake didn't give it. I was frozen to the spot. I was angry with myself for not walking, and started to slog a lot. I ended up gloving the same guy to the keeper, this time a different ump giving me out (I had started to walk). When I got back into the pav our opener the Ginger Wizard told me he walks in friendlies but not in the league. I was very angry about doing it. I didn't feel good, I was a cheat. I ended up with 27.... and we won by five runs. It felt like I'd cheated a win

Now if I edged it I would walk but I don't get much opportunity to do that as due to my extreme ineptitude I am usually bowled or LBW.

Last edited:

The Baconator

International Vice-Captain
I've never walked, but I've never really had much of a chance and i probably wouldn't walk then. I wouldn't say I'm a cheat because there have been a number of occasions where I could have claimed a catch that didn't carry but didn't, even if that does seem like a bit of a double standard.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It'd be interesting to know the standard of cricket played by those who are strong advocaters of walking as opposed to those who wouldn't walk.
Haha, I remember bringing this up before! I know you've played some rep cricket and so have I but the last 'high' level for me was A-grade (1st grade to you Eastern staters) around 10 years ago.

Langeveldt

Soutie
I never walk, you can't walk, its totally pointless.. I get irritated with people that walk because it's irresponsible...

Whats the point at putting yourself at a disadvantage if your opponent doesn't walk? You might have the moral high ground, but they get the spoils.. I'd walk if everyone did it, but the fact is they don't..

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
shounak said:
I was under the impression the umpire also gave Gilly out. So the outcome would've been the same regardless.
After he walked I think. At any rate, pretty stupid on Gilchrist's part.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Pratyush said:
Okay so we both regard Gilchrist differently then. For me he is a revelation as a modern player both as a player and for his coduct and I would not hush it as a PR stunt because if it was so easy do dodge such a persona many others would do the same. To each his own.
u guys do realize that there is a certain BC Lara who has basically walked every single time he got a nick and still cops some of the most dubious decisions? A match in the VB series comes to mind when the noise actually came from the clicking of the handle of his bat, with the ball centimetres away from his bat and he was given caught behind.

My own opinion is pretty simple. You can be Lara and Gilchrist and walk every time u nick, then u atleast have a justification for feeling angry when you are wrongly given out. Or you can be like Sachin or Jonty and simply heed the umpires' decision, whatever it may be..... A man I could never tolerate was Steve Waugh. He never walked when he nicked them and i have seen him get away with some very obvious caught behinds and yet, every time the umpire wrongly gives him out, he makes a big scene about it all before going back to the pavilion.

cricket player

International Debutant
Hi,There is a umpire standing their for a reason,He decides whether you are out or not,
walking is a stupid thing to do,

Shounak

Banned
honestbharani said:
atleast have a justification for feeling angry when you are wrongly given out..
Everyone has the right to feel angry about a wrong decision. But no-one has the right to make a scene about it. That's dissent.

All players should be punished for dissent. Regardless of their stance on walking.

So basically, Gilly showing dissent shouldn't be treated any differently to Tugga doing the same.

cricket player

International Debutant
shounak said:
Everyone has the right to feel angry about a wrong decision. But no-one has the right to make a scene about it. That's dissent.

All players should be punished for dissent. Regardless of their stance on walking.

So basically, Gilly showing dissent shouldn't be treated any differently to Tugga doing the same.
Last Time When I was given out wrongly I stand In the creas for about one minute just to make it clear that my foot was way located way outside leg stump,
Even the captain of the other team said I wasnt out.

Swervy

International Captain
cricket player said:
Last Time When I was given out wrongly I stand In the creas for about one minute just to make it clear that my foot was way located way outside leg stump,
Even the captain of the other team said I wasnt out.
and did the umpire reverse his desicion?... I would hope the answer is no.

and even if he had, you would still have looked like a bit of an ****

cricket player

International Debutant
Swervy said:
and did the umpire reverse his desicion?... I would hope the answer is no.

and even if he had, you would still have looked like a bit of an ****
Umpire didnt reverse his decision,but I dont want that to be happening to some one else,Umpires clearly know that a batsman has only one chance and a bowler has plenty so I should not have been given out,Hell even if it was going to hit the stumps he shouldnt have given me out beause it was going down the leg clearly,It is not fair to the batsman,

And some members who are batsman here knows that I am talking about,

Swervy

International Captain
cricket player said:
Umpire didnt reverse his decision,but I dont want that to be happening to some one else,Umpires clearly know that a batsman has only one chance and a bowler has plenty so I should not have been given out,Hell even if it was going to hit the stumps he shouldnt have given me out beause it was going down the leg clearly,It is not fair to the batsman,

And some members who are batsman here knows that I am talking about,
no its not fair...but still no excuse to hang around the crease for ages protesting the lack of justice in this world.

May I also suggest that you actually hung around the crease not for the reason of ensuring future justice for all other batsmen (that certainly sounds like a noble thing to do of course) but in fact you wanted to have a bit more of a bat..in your heart of hearts can you honestly tell me that you were thinking of the other batsmen it could happen to right at that moment?