• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Disputed catches and edges behind - double standards?

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Disputed catches have been a hot top recently - Pietersen the other night and Jones in the test against Bangladesh just 2 instances. Jones in particular attracted a huge amount of vitriol from various sources.

Despite the fact that i have yet to see conclusive evidence that it didn't carry to him, lets say that it didn't carry, lets also say that Jones knew that it didn't carry (also unproven). Then Jones has claimed a catch that he knows didnt carry to him.

What I want people's views on is how this is considered different from when a batsmen gets an edge behind and stands his ground? (a la Atherton vs SA, Clarke the other night). The batsman in most cases will know that he has got an edge - isn't this as much cheating as claiming a catch that has bounced? How come the batsman is just considered 'lucky' and no one calls him a cheat?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I'm pretty certain we've discussed something similar to this before and my opinion remains the same: it's a question of active or passive deception.

If a keeper goes up knowingly claiming a catch on the bounce, he is actively trying to deceive the umpire (cheating in common parlance), but if a batter merely stands his ground & waits for the umpire's decision there is no active deception. Of course, his actions may stray into the grounds of wilful active deception if, say, he were to rub his hip or arm, suggesting the ball had made contact with either of those rather than the bat.

The batter standing his ground is at best morally ambiguous, but IMO it isn't cheating. I don’t think we can demand any sportsman to willingly surrender, but it does the old heart good when someone walks.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
BoyBrumby said:
I'm pretty certain we've discussed something similar to this before and my opinion remains the same: it's a question of active or passive deception.

If a keeper goes up knowingly claiming a catch on the bounce, he is actively trying to deceive the umpire (cheating in common parlance), but if a batter merely stands his ground & waits for the umpire's decision there is no active deception. Of course, his actions may stray into the grounds of wilful active deception if, say, he were to rub his hip or arm, suggesting the ball had made contact with either of those rather than the bat.

The batter standing his ground is at best morally ambiguous, but IMO it isn't cheating. I don’t think we can demand any sportsman to willingly surrender, but it does the old heart good when someone walks.
Yeah that pretty much perfectly sums it up.

As Brumby said, the equivalent to a fielder claiming a catch he knew he didn't take is the batsman claiming he didn't hit it by rubbing his arm or touching his pad etc. Different to just standing his ground waiting for the umpire to raise the finger.

Kweek

Cricketer Of The Year
in the catches Jones took, the ball DIDNT carry, but jones didnt appeal but the bowler did, the umpire gave it, so nobody made a mistake BUT the umpire.
Pietersen, i havnt seen that one myself so cant say anything about it.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
kwek said:
in the catches Jones took, the ball DIDNT carry, but jones didnt appeal but the bowler did, the umpire gave it, so nobody made a mistake BUT the umpire.
Pietersen, i havnt seen that one myself so cant say anything about it.
as i said, i have yet to see conclusive evidence that the jones catch didn't carry - it has been proved in the past that the camera DOES lie

gio

U19 Cricketer
superkingdave said:
as i said, i have yet to see conclusive evidence that the jones catch didn't carry - it has been proved in the past that the camera DOES lie
IMO, this was proved by the pietersen catch. it looks very much like it's hit the ground, but the way the ball comes up all in one motion without moving suggests to me that his fingers were under it. Cameras can't prove anything, other than if the ball bounced just before hitting the gloves/hands.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
superkingdave said:
Isn't the fielder then, in the right to make the umpire make the decision over the legality of the catch?
Not really. If he's claiming something he knows to be false he's attempting to actively deceive the umpire. The batter who stands his ground isn't, he's merely not incriminating himself.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
BoyBrumby said:

Thats pretty much hitting the nail on its head mate :happy:

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
BoyBrumby said:

Yep, agreed.

shaka

International Regular
Does anyone have footage of this catch incident? so that i can decide for myself

Craig

World Traveller
It is hard to say what is the right thing to do. I mean if somebody walks they will walk every other time, but if the team needs 1 run to win and one wicket left and there is a disputed catch or edge, you wouldn't walk, nobody would, and that in my book count's as double standards. However, if I were a walker (I would like to think I would), and that same situation happened, I would stay my ground and wait to be given out or not. If I walked the opposition would think I'm a legend for having the spirit in mind, but I would not be popular with my team-mates, but if I stayed it would be the opposite.

Catch-22.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
biased indian said:
u r eyes needs glasses badly :)
The fact is the 2D image from TV is proven not to be as conclusive as people make out - hence it cannot be proven.