• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

5 more nations to play full ODI's

Steulen

International Regular
http://content.cricinfo.com/ci/content/story/212087.html

Great news. Kenya plus the five qualifiers from the ICC Trophy will have the same ODI status as the Test playing nations, until the next ICC Trophy in 2009. Even better, these sixteen countries will be ranked on the same ladder, with the lowest six forced to participate in the ICC Trophy to qualify for a new 4-year stint at the top. Watch out Zimbabwe, Bangladesh...you might well have egg on your faces after dropping below the likes of Kenya, Namibia and The Netherlands.

Of course, for this to work the top nations would actually have to arrange games against the newcomers, so forget it,...but it's nice dreaming :cool:

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Seems like a good move, anything that removes part of the hurdle between a team with official ODI status and the emerging countries is good in my view. As said tho it remains to be seen how many proper games the new ODI status countries will get.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Scaly piscine said:
Seems like a good move, anything that removes part of the hurdle between a team with official ODI status and the emerging countries is good in my view. As said tho it remains to be seen how many proper games the new ODI status countries will get.
Matches against each other will be full LOIs as well so a handful I would say.

What interests me is that there will be financial rewards which were not there earlier which will benefit these countries.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Yep, good move from my point of view. No reason Australia has to play farcical ODI series against the Netherlands or anything, but it's nice that they've got acknowledgement and been given full status and will actually be on the ladder etc. No other sport in the world has the silly divide between "real" international matches and "other" international matches.

I believe the sanctity of tests should be preserved, but with ODIs this is an excellent move.

Steulen

International Regular
Word. Although I don't see why the Aussies couldn't have played a warm-up match against The Netherlands prior to starting the NWS. It would have been an easy start for them and a real match for the Dutch; everybody happy. Would probably have prevented the Bangladesh debacle :).

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I agree with most of you guys. I think it is a good move as long as they give international status to the matches happening between these teams and them playing the A teams of the bigger sides often so that eventually, they all get better.

Steulen

International Regular
Why would it hurt the Dutch spirit? Australia would have made 280/5 or some such, Netherlands 150ao. No contest, but valuable experience. And even losing by 130 runs can boost your confidence if you can stroke that 4 off McGrath or clean bowl Gilchrist.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah, seems like a positive move from the ICC. A good way for these teams to develop is by playing each other regularly - can only mean better cricket for everyone.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Very nice news. Especially the fund-raising, it might mean that more nations can develop a professional cricketing scene. That's the big gap between sides today...

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Wow. An ICC idea that is universally welcomed (although Richard isn't here yet....won't somebody please think of the stats!! ;) ), what's going on?!?

It has to be good for spreading the franchise of cricket, which must be the ICC's ultimate aim. I do suspect that the new nations may end up playing amongst themselves, but it is certainly a step in the right direction.

With my British Isles hat on it'd be nice to see the Sweaties & the Micks qualify.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Well seeing as we go to 2 ODI series per summer, it would good if England could play say one match against Netherlands and one against Ireland/Scotland each summer

Kweek

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah i would love to watch the england team play the netherlands...in the netherlands..now just hope that we in holland get some coverage from it! thats all we need imo in holland to keep it growing.
as we had a lot of bad news about cricket in holland these last few year

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Steulen said:
Why would it hurt the Dutch spirit? Australia would have made 280/5 or some such, Netherlands 150ao. No contest, but valuable experience. And even losing by 130 runs can boost your confidence if you can stroke that 4 off McGrath or clean bowl Gilchrist.
Well, Devon did you by 100 runs...

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
I'm always one to go for the underdogs and show interest in the minnows but I really doubt they are up to the standard. And as a Bangladesh supporter I'm worried that they will just play each other so the teams have a decent win/loss ratio and overtake Bangladesh on the ladder even though the Tigers could and most likely would humiliate them.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
James90 said:
I'm always one to go for the underdogs and show interest in the minnows but I really doubt they are up to the standard. And as a Bangladesh supporter I'm worried that they will just play each other so the teams have a decent win/loss ratio and overtake Bangladesh on the ladder even though the Tigers could and most likely would humiliate them.
I think that idea of using these sides as warm-up matches, or an introduction into a series (when anticipation is high) is a good idea. Get a few people along, and have a Holland or a Canada play a match against both the home and the touring side before the official matches start.