• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

5 more nations to play full ODI's

chekmeout

U19 Debutant
In January/February 2005, Oman and UAE are scheduled to participate in the Asia Cup in Pakistan along with the other test playing nations. Say if these countries do not qualify, will the Asia Cup matches involving them be official ODIs?

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
chekmeout said:
In January/February 2005, Oman and UAE are scheduled to participate in the Asia Cup in Pakistan along with the other test playing nations. Say if these countries do not qualify, will the Asia Cup matches involving them be official ODIs?
Anything the ICC chooses to endore can be an official ODI. Canada aren't a full ODI side, but they still played ODIs at the 2003 WC, same with the UAE in 1996. So, one would assume not, but it is possible.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
FaaipDeOiad said:
Anything the ICC chooses to endore can be an official ODI. Canada aren't a full ODI side, but they still played ODIs at the 2003 WC, same with the UAE in 1996. So, one would assume not, but it is possible.
I dunno about that one, the two games Hong Kong (who didn't even make the ICC trophy) played in the 2004 Asia Cup are listed as full ODIs, so I'd assume the same would be true for any played by Oman & The UAE in the same comp.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
chekmeout said:
Gut says yes, based on the last Asia Cup.

And by Oman and UAE's performances, it looks likely that they don't qualify (what on earth is up with their batting?!)

chekmeout

U19 Debutant
Well, Oman NEVER had any chance whatsoever... I mean at the best it was serious optimism to expect them to qualify.
UAE on the other hand, was a bit surprising to see them going down to Bermuda. Definitely one of the upsets of the tournament. Though it's a bit too early to write of UAE. I still believe that they are a better side then Denmark.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
chekmeout said:
Well, Oman NEVER had any chance whatsoever... I mean at the best it was serious optimism to expect them to qualify.
UAE on the other hand, was a bit surprising to see them going down to Bermuda. Definitely one of the upsets of the tournament. Though it's a bit too early to write of UAE. I still believe that they are a better side then Denmark.
Well, the Danes have been okay all along. Feel Klokker v Ali Asad/Khuram Khan will be a key battle. If Fredrik can come out of those early overs, I think the Danes will win, as he's finally getting his bat to show his talent!

Craig

World Traveller
Hakon do you somewhat envy Denmark being better at cricket then Norway given they aren't too far away from Norway, so there must be a rivalry? If there isn't, you lot are soft.

Craig

World Traveller
What about in football?

Surely there is something Norway is better then Denmark and I don't mean fishing or whale hunting.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Craig said:
What about in football?

Surely there is something Norway is better then Denmark and I don't mean fishing or whale hunting.
Note that it wasn't me who said that.

I would never say such a thing.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Craig said:
What about in football?

Oh yes. Skiing. :p Football we're fairly even in in recent years, they owned us in the Euro qualifiers two years ago, though. That was built up to be a massive match and ended up as a boring 1-0. :( Women's handball there's also quite a strong rivalry - Denmark have been the strongest side in the world for a decade or so, Norway always around third or fourth, so there's something special about that.

Off topic deluxe now. :p

Craig

World Traveller
And you could also say one of your cyclists have worn the yellow and green jersey in the Tour de France, whereas no Danes haven't for a while (although they can say at least one Dane has won it, but Basso won't win it this year barring a collaspe from Armstrong).

And I think Boonen will get the green jersey as well (please don't hate me).

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Beleg said:
Norway has less squids.
You get a much, much better class of fjord in Norway.

I think they ought to give Slartibartfast the Freedom of Oslo or something.

It would probably come with an annual stipend of 10000 Krone, a pair of snow goggles, a thermal vest and the ubiquitous bucket of rollmop herrings. And a goat. They could make a saga out of it.

Wikipedia: SAGA - A traditional Norwegian cricketers dish, usually eaten at tea instead of the Chorley Cakes eaten by 'normal' people. It is made by boiling rollmop herrings and a whole goat in a bucket before being scooped out using a pair of snow goggles. The dish is then dried by being placed in a garment such as a thermal vest before being swung repeatedly around the head. It is then pressed into 'CHORLIKAIKS'. One is traditionally offered up to the Norwegian God of cricket, DAYVIDLOID.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
luckyeddie said:
You get a much, much better class of fjord in Norway.

I think they ought to give Slartibartfast the Freedom of Oslo or something.

It would probably come with an annual stipend of 10000 Krone, a pair of snow goggles, a thermal vest and the ubiquitous bucket of rollmop herrings. And a goat. They could make a saga out of it.

Wikipedia: SAGA - A traditional Norwegian cricketers dish, usually eaten at tea instead of the Chorley Cakes eaten by 'normal' people. It is made by boiling rollmop herrings and a whole goat in a bucket before being scooped out using a pair of snow goggles. The dish is then dried by being placed in a garment such as a thermal vest before being swung repeatedly around the head. It is then pressed into 'CHORLIKAIKS'. One is traditionally offered up to the Norwegian God of cricket, DAYVIDLOID.
:lol: It sounds fairly appalling to eat. :laugh:

tooextracool

International Coach
Craig said:
What the games count as official ODIs or the wickets or runs taken?

As far as I am concerned they are official, and you can't pick and choose them out of arguements as if they never happened despite the fact they did.
i dont think so, the standard of cricket in these 5 countries is quite clearly going to be far below the standard of most domestic sides. so in effect it would be like scoring runs in domestic cricket, it simply doesnt prove anything. inflating your average significantly against poor teams is a crime IMO, and there are plenty of players already guilty of it already. can you imagine how it would be with 5 other ODI teams?

Swervy

International Captain
tooextracool said:
i dont think so, the standard of cricket in these 5 countries is quite clearly going to be far below the standard of most domestic sides. so in effect it would be like scoring runs in domestic cricket, it simply doesnt prove anything. inflating your average significantly against poor teams is a crime IMO, and there are plenty of players already guilty of it already. can you imagine how it would be with 5 other ODI teams?
do you not think we (as in the cricket loving public) have to give up this notion that averages are the be all and end all.

Averages really are only useful as a comparison between players of similar era..and so does it really matter if an extra set of minnows joins in, if everyone has to play them?

Kweek

Cricketer Of The Year
I feel with the ODI Status granted, the teams will be asked to play more Tri-series and stuff. yeah they will get beaten for the 1st 5-6 years, but hopefully the media will give attention to it, with broadcasting the games and stuff, sport will grow(hopefully) more talent to pick from...better cricketers coming up...ta there you go.

tooextracool

International Coach
Swervy said:
do you not think we (as in the cricket loving public) have to give up this notion that averages are the be all and end all.

Averages really are only useful as a comparison between players of similar era..and so does it really matter if an extra set of minnows joins in, if everyone has to play them?
i think it most certainly does. its definetly possible that some players will inflate their averages against minnows,while others will not even take these games seriously. some like youhana might play more ODIs against them while others like harmison might not play at all. some like tresco and strauss will open the batting and therefore be more likely to score runs while others down the order wont. useless may score prolifically against them, and then fail miserably against quality opposition only to still end up with a decent average. hence scoring runs against such opposition should for all purposes be ignored.