Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: No Asian Representation?

No Asian Representation?

In the Australian team over the years we have seen a lot of players representing the immigrant communities in Australia like the Eastern Europeans and the Italians. Both Kasprowicz and Katich are of eastern European descent, M di Venuto was of Italian origin. However, given the amount of Asians living in Australia, especially in Queensland and stuff. Correct me if I am wrong but I haven't noticed even one Asian player anywhere in Australian cricket. By Asians I am not referring to Indians/***** but to the Japs/Koreans etc.

What do you people think are the reasons for this? When I asked an Aussie friend of mine, he told me the Asians in his school were too scared of the ball to actually play cricket! What do you reckon guys?
    Founder & President of VSAS

The same could be asked about NZ

Plasmanaut on Fire Champion!
    yeah i cant think of any prominent ones, will think about it tomorrow when im more awake though
    Member of CW Green
    Kerry O'Keefe - Worlds funniest Commentator

International Vice-Captain Slats4ever's Avatar
    because instead of playing sport they go to maths school and play computer games on the weekend. they have no interest in partaking in Australian sporting activities and our culture.
    WCC - Manager of Warwickshire

I'm sure there are many more italians than japanese in australia... And just a couple of them played first class, Velletta, M. Di Venuto, P. Di Venuto and Scuderi...

Quote Originally Posted by Slats4ever
    because instead of playing sport they go to maths school and play computer games on the weekend. they have no interest in partaking in Australian sporting activities and our culture.
    Thats a pretty race specific remark and harsh in my opinion with all due respect. There have been guys like Jono, Masterblaster of Asian (indian) decent in Australia studying or living from birth who I am sure enjoy playing and watching sports like others.

Quote Originally Posted by chekmeout
    In the Australian team over the years we have seen a lot of players representing the immigrant communities in Australia like the Eastern Europeans and the Italians. Both Kasprowicz and Katich are of eastern European descent, M di Venuto was of Italian origin. However, given the amount of Asians living in Australia, especially in Queensland and stuff. Correct me if I am wrong but I haven't noticed even one Asian player anywhere in Australian cricket. By Asians I am not referring to Indians/***** but to the Japs/Koreans etc.

What do you people think are the reasons for this? When I asked an Aussie friend of mine, he told me the Asians in his school were too scared of the ball to actually play cricket! What do you reckon guys?
    Well firstly, the reason you get Europeans like Kasper is that those Europeans are fully assimilated. Most of the cases their parents were probably born in Australia. After all, European immigrants came to Australia long before the Asians started. I very strongly doubt, however, that Kasper or Kato would know very much about the origins of their last name and cultures.

Asians simply don't play cricket in Australia. Of course a few may do, but the number is very small. I've played for numerous cricket clubs but have never had an Asian in my team. The Australian culture is multucultural, so this can't be attributed to any stigma or biases, just a lack of interest.

At my school the Asians were the ones captaining the Badminton, Table Tennis and Squash teams, it's just how it is.

We'll possibly see a change in 15 - 20 years, when Asians become more assimilated into mainstream Australian culture.

Any Aussies have anything to say?

Quote Originally Posted by Pratyush
    Thats a pretty race specific remark and harsh in my opinion with all due respect. There have been guys like Jono, Masterblaster of Asian (indian) decent in Australia studying or living from birth who I am sure enjoy playing and watching sports like others.
    He's right. As much as I hate to say. There was an article about it in a major newspaper about Asian parents being too afraid to let their children to play in Soccer and Football teams. Greater emphasis is placed on studies.

Just look at the proportion of Asians in the top 20 of each state's high school results, the results here in Melbourne are disproportionately Asian. That is, 5 in 20 (or whatever the exact figure may be) Australians are not of Asian descent.

This may sound like a bit of a long shot. But if you came to a major city in Australia, you would observe the same thing.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Mister Wright's Avatar
    Burger Time Champion!
    Richard Chee Quee anyone?
    Cricketweb Colts Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    Hayden > Lehmann
    I'm a member of Club Kerry

I'm Green

The color of immortality, nature and envy - you are truly a unique person. While clearly the color of nature, you also symbolize rebirth, fertility and hope in the world. On the other side of the spectrum, a natural aptitude to money with green coming to signify money and possibly even *********!

Stranger leering through a pair of binoculars
    Its about upbringing more importantly..Im a quater chink and at school theres around 2 asians playing cricket, im in the a's of course. Most play basketball, and same for rugby. Hardly any
    Mark Waugh
    "He's [Michael Clarke] on Twitter saying sorry for not walking? Mate if he did that in our side there'd be hell to play. AB would chuck his Twitter box off the balcony or whatever it is. Sorry for not walking? Jesus Christ man."
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put it into a fruit salad
    RIP Craigos

Hall of Fame Member honestbharani's Avatar
    It is true that us Indians attach a greater value to education than sports. It is a part of our culture. Being a chess champ in your school is not as good as being the top ranking student in your class. That is how bad it is out here.
    We miss you, Fardin. :(. RIP.
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    In the end, I think it's so utterly, incomprehensibly boring. There is so much context behind each innings of cricket that dissecting statistics into these small samples is just worthless. No-one has ever been faced with the same situation in which they come out to bat as someone else. Ever.
    A cricket supporter forever

Member of CW Red and AAAS - Appreciating only the best.

Check out this awesome e-fed:

PWE Efed

Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Wright
    Richard Chee Quee anyone?
    Indeed, I was just thinking that. He was quite close to the Australian team for a while there, and in a less strong era with middle order batsmen may have made it.
    I know a place where a royal flush
    Can never beat a pair

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Mister Wright's Avatar
    Burger Time Champion!
    Does women's cricket count?

Connie Wong

Quote Originally Posted by dro87
    I'm sure there are many more italians than japanese in australia... And just a couple of them played first class, Velletta, M. Di Venuto, P. Di Venuto and Scuderi...
    I wouldn't be too sure about that.. Does anyone here have the approximate figures for the immigrant population in Australia?

International Regular King_Ponting's Avatar
    The 2001 Census reveals that 23.1 per cent of the population were born overseas. Of those born overseas, 33.1 per cent were born in North-West Europe (mainly the United Kingdom and Ireland), 18.9 per cent in Southern and Eastern Europe and 12.1 per cent in South-East Asia. In terms of countries, the highest proportion of overseas born came from the United Kingdom (25.4 per cent of the overseas born), New Zealand (8.7 per cent) and Italy (5.4 percent).

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information