• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

No Asian Representation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chekmeout

U19 Debutant
In the Australian team over the years we have seen a lot of players representing the immigrant communities in Australia like the Eastern Europeans and the Italians. Both Kasprowicz and Katich are of eastern European descent, M di Venuto was of Italian origin. However, given the amount of Asians living in Australia, especially in Queensland and stuff. Correct me if I am wrong but I haven't noticed even one Asian player anywhere in Australian cricket. By Asians I am not referring to Indians/***** but to the Japs/Koreans etc.

What do you people think are the reasons for this? When I asked an Aussie friend of mine, he told me the Asians in his school were too scared of the ball to actually play cricket! What do you reckon guys?

Slats4ever

International Vice-Captain
because instead of playing sport they go to maths school and play computer games on the weekend. they have no interest in partaking in Australian sporting activities and our culture.

dro87

U19 12th Man
I'm sure there are many more italians than japanese in australia... And just a couple of them played first class, Velletta, M. Di Venuto, P. Di Venuto and Scuderi...

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Slats4ever said:
because instead of playing sport they go to maths school and play computer games on the weekend. they have no interest in partaking in Australian sporting activities and our culture.
Thats a pretty race specific remark and harsh in my opinion with all due respect. There have been guys like Jono, Masterblaster of Asian (indian) decent in Australia studying or living from birth who I am sure enjoy playing and watching sports like others.

Shounak

Banned
chekmeout said:
In the Australian team over the years we have seen a lot of players representing the immigrant communities in Australia like the Eastern Europeans and the Italians. Both Kasprowicz and Katich are of eastern European descent, M di Venuto was of Italian origin. However, given the amount of Asians living in Australia, especially in Queensland and stuff. Correct me if I am wrong but I haven't noticed even one Asian player anywhere in Australian cricket. By Asians I am not referring to Indians/***** but to the Japs/Koreans etc.

What do you people think are the reasons for this? When I asked an Aussie friend of mine, he told me the Asians in his school were too scared of the ball to actually play cricket! What do you reckon guys?
Well firstly, the reason you get Europeans like Kasper is that those Europeans are fully assimilated. Most of the cases their parents were probably born in Australia. After all, European immigrants came to Australia long before the Asians started. I very strongly doubt, however, that Kasper or Kato would know very much about the origins of their last name and cultures.

Asians simply don't play cricket in Australia. Of course a few may do, but the number is very small. I've played for numerous cricket clubs but have never had an Asian in my team. The Australian culture is multucultural, so this can't be attributed to any stigma or biases, just a lack of interest.

At my school the Asians were the ones captaining the Badminton, Table Tennis and Squash teams, it's just how it is.

We'll possibly see a change in 15 - 20 years, when Asians become more assimilated into mainstream Australian culture.

Any Aussies have anything to say?

Shounak

Banned
Pratyush said:
Thats a pretty race specific remark and harsh in my opinion with all due respect. There have been guys like Jono, Masterblaster of Asian (indian) decent in Australia studying or living from birth who I am sure enjoy playing and watching sports like others.
He's right. As much as I hate to say. There was an article about it in a major newspaper about Asian parents being too afraid to let their children to play in Soccer and Football teams. Greater emphasis is placed on studies.

Just look at the proportion of Asians in the top 20 of each state's high school results, the results here in Melbourne are disproportionately Asian. That is, 5 in 20 (or whatever the exact figure may be) Australians are not of Asian descent.

This may sound like a bit of a long shot. But if you came to a major city in Australia, you would observe the same thing.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Its about upbringing more importantly..Im a quater chink and at school theres around 2 asians playing cricket, im in the a's of course. Most play basketball, and same for rugby. Hardly any

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
It is true that us Indians attach a greater value to education than sports. It is a part of our culture. Being a chess champ in your school is not as good as being the top ranking student in your class. That is how bad it is out here.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Mister Wright said:
Richard Chee Quee anyone?
Indeed, I was just thinking that. He was quite close to the Australian team for a while there, and in a less strong era with middle order batsmen may have made it.

chekmeout

U19 Debutant
dro87 said:
I'm sure there are many more italians than japanese in australia... And just a couple of them played first class, Velletta, M. Di Venuto, P. Di Venuto and Scuderi...
I wouldn't be too sure about that.. Does anyone here have the approximate figures for the immigrant population in Australia?

King_Ponting

International Regular
The 2001 Census reveals that 23.1 per cent of the population were born overseas. Of those born overseas, 33.1 per cent were born in North-West Europe (mainly the United Kingdom and Ireland), 18.9 per cent in Southern and Eastern Europe and 12.1 per cent in South-East Asia. In terms of countries, the highest proportion of overseas born came from the United Kingdom (25.4 per cent of the overseas born), New Zealand (8.7 per cent) and Italy (5.4 percent).

Shounak

Banned
King_Ponting said:
The 2001 Census reveals that 23.1 per cent of the population were born overseas. Of those born overseas, 33.1 per cent were born in North-West Europe (mainly the United Kingdom and Ireland), 18.9 per cent in Southern and Eastern Europe and 12.1 per cent in South-East Asia. In terms of countries, the highest proportion of overseas born came from the United Kingdom (25.4 per cent of the overseas born), New Zealand (8.7 per cent) and Italy (5.4 percent).
But there was a period where there were heaps of immigrants from Europe. Their children are now classified as 100% Australian. Many of these so called "european" cricketers I'll bet fit into this category.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Damn, Mister Wright. Beat me to it on Chee Quee.

It truly is a particapative thing at the lower levels. Simply, very few people of Asian descent play cricket at the grassroots level, and therefore there is less likely to be an Australian representative with a Vietnamese, Chinese, et al. background.

Also, the other point that has been brought up about the time period is also relevant. In the next generation or two we may start to have a more people of playing, but for the time being most are still interested in the sports that their parents were themselves interested in. This is further harboured by the fact that many of recent immigrants - and then the next generation on - live in a similar area geographically within cities (i.e in the same suburb).

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
When I was at Highscoll - 8-10 years ago, the Asians were more interested in emulating Michael Jordan than they were Shane Warne. I don't know if it has changed that much since then, but they seemed to be more 'Americanised' than any other race at the school (except for the Yanks of course).

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Mister Wright said:
When I was at Highscoll - 8-10 years ago, the Asians were more interested in emulating Michael Jordan than they were Shane Warne. I don't know if it has changed that much since then, but they seemed to be more 'Americanised' than any other race at the school (except for the Yanks of course).
Yeah, a fair bit of that when I was at school. And then there were those who still played the table tennis and the badminton. Very few played Aussie Rules, which was the dominant sport at our school, but quite a few played Soccer.

Status
Not open for further replies.