• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Paul Collingwood has a death wish

King_Ponting

International Regular
i dont really think it could be called a death wish, however it would be interesting to see how the aussies bowl to him in the natwest final when he bats

deeps

International 12th Man
u gotta be out of ur mind to pick a fight with matty hayden..

especially if he's holding a bat :P

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Hussain made a very good poitn during commentary. Usually the fielders liked to stay away from such a thing he said as they would have to face the Aussie stick if they came up.On this specific scenario, every one acted as a team. Collingwood came in, Flintoff came in.

The throw by Jones was unwarranted and not to be condoned by any means ofcourse and the sky commentators saying it was involuntary were speaking hogwash according to me. Hayden had every right to react but he should have simmered down after the apology.

But the incident brought out the change in the English team more than many others.

Scallywag

Banned
Pratyush said:
But the incident brought out the change in the English team more than many others.
Jones undies for one, did you see his face when he crapped himself as Hayden turned around.

Deja moo

International Captain
Sticking for your team mates is no excuse for picking up a fight with a guy who has been wronged. For all the sledging the Aussies get involved in, getting physical is one thing you can never accuse them of. I hope Collingwood wears his diapers next time he walks out to bat.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Whilst none of the actions of the players in that situation can be condoned (starting with Simon Jones), it is pleasing in some ways to see that England are willing to stick up for each other - this kind of "all-for-one, one-for-all" attitude has been the backbone of some of the great sporting teams of all time.

Collingwood waded into that dispute because he wasn't afraid of Hayden - he wasn't afraid of Hayden because he knew he had intimidating guys like Pietersen and Flintoff to back him up. A confidence in your team-mates' support breeds confidence in your own actions, and a lack of fear of the opposition. In the Ashes, these will be important factors. This little scrap could help England - they have proven they do not fear Australia. Not for their cricket, not for their aggression, not for their talent, not for their physical power - not at all.

Collingwood won't be worried next time he walks out to bat. He knows for every hit he takes, the Aussie quicks will take two or three when they bat.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Scallywag said:
Jones undies for one, did you see his face when he crapped himself as Hayden turned around.
An unfortunate incident, and yes, Simon Jones really did look a little worried, to say the least - or maybe he wondered about the consequences of his action. After all, he got into huge amounts of hot water in the West Indies for giving batsmen momentous 'send-offs'.

Personally, I thought that Hayden's reaction was yet another example of how England are getting under the skin of some of these Aussies - and long may that at least continue.

The next ball really should have been a beamer, though.

(I joke, I joke)

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Pratyush said:
The throw by Jones was unwarranted and not to be condoned by any means ofcourse and the sky commentators saying it was involuntary were speaking hogwash according to me.
I don't think it was unwarranted and he immediately apologised - it was an unfortunate bounce up onto Hayden, there was no intent to hit him, because there's no way Jones could've predicted that bounce.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
luckyeddie said:
Personally, I thought that Hayden's reaction was yet another example of how England are getting under the skin of some of these Aussies - and long may that at least continue.
Honestly though, I'm not sure hitting them with the ball is the way England want to be getting under the Australian's skin. I mean, anybody is liable to get worked up if you chuck the ball at them and hit them in the head, but it's not like Hayden was shaken up by a good bouncer or being dismissed or something like that.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
I'm sure that you'd find Australians who would say that Hayden's actions were indicative of how the Australians are going to be punching back all the way through the series, no matter how much England try and spark up, etc. Not worth reading too much into, I would have thought.

All in all, it means dead set nothing. Neither team really gains a "psychological win" or anything out of it, it wasn't as though any of the combatants took a blatant step down or shied away from confrontation.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
I don't think it was unwarranted and he immediately apologised - it was an unfortunate bounce up onto Hayden, there was no intent to hit him, because there's no way Jones could've predicted that bounce.
I don't think Jones meant to hit him, but the throw was obviously pointless and unwarranted. Hayden had his back half-turned and was already well within the crease. There was no possible intent from Jones except to shake the batsman up by throwing it back to the keeper and trying to intimidate him or whatever, and Hayden had every right to get upset with him given that it wasn't a legitimate run out attempt anything of the sort.

It also set the scene for the worst bouts of biased commentary from the Sky team yet, with David Lloyd referring to it as "the incident earlier where Simon Jones tried to run Hayden out and he didn't like it". I mean, come on...

Craig

World Traveller
deeps said:
u gotta be out of ur mind to pick a fight with matty hayden..

especially if he's holding a bat :P
Even without holding a bat, he is still a strong guy (I once heard he bench presses the most kg in the whole Aussie team).

I don't blame Hayden for getting upset, I would too, and so would everybody else.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
FaaipDeOiad said:
Honestly though, I'm not sure hitting them with the ball is the way England want to be getting under the Australian's skin. I mean, anybody is liable to get worked up if you chuck the ball at them and hit them in the head, but it's not like Hayden was shaken up by a good bouncer or being dismissed or something like that.
I'm sure that if Jones had 'chucked the ball at him and hit him in the head' Hayden, even allowing for the whingeing Aussie he is, would have had every right to be upset. He didn't - Jones threw the ball at the stumps and it bounced up and hit him on the torso - and not particularly hard either.

From where I'm sitting, it's the Aussie supporters (well, one or two of the usual ones) who are getting all worked up about a storm in a teacup. Bit of an over-reaction, chaps, but don't worry. You'll have plenty more opportunities to whine before the summer's out.

(written just a bit tongue-in-cheek for those who can't actually tell the difference)

steds

Hall of Fame Member
age_master said:
and Hayden could take all of them
Please. Collingwood would use his speed and amazing agility and Freddie would just squash him...and if that doesn't work we'd just get Simon Jones to throw the ball again

Entrael

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
It is *clear* that it was accidental. I believe Hayden had every right to be angry, lets face it a cricket ball isnt soft, it can do some damage and the ball appeared to hit hayden near the shoulder and would of limited his movement for a while.

Saying that Hayden may have gone over the top but its the heat of the moment, its country verse country, what can people except. Haydens not gonna say "oh oww, that hurts" and make nothing out of it. If i was in his position i would of done the same thing and i know most people would.

And also lets not continue on the track of who will smash who in a fight. I've never seen a punch up in a cricket match and im sure there wont be one for a long time.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Entrael said:
And also lets not continue on the track of who will smash who in a fight. I've never seen a punch up in a cricket match and im sure there wont be one for a long time.
There's no harm in imagining...

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Okay just to set the record straight, the throwing of the ball was not involuntary. It was very much voluntary according to me. The intention to hit is obviously very much questionable and in all likelihood there wasnt any intention to hit Hayden.

But I have never liked such an action by the bowler to show as if he is about to throw the ball at the batsman or throwing the ball towards the batsman with it going to the keeper.

When there is no intention to throw at the stumps such an action is usually unwarranted which is where Jones was wrong. It was ironical that it did hit Hayden and he had every right to feel infuriated.

It would be respectful to Jones to calm down after an apology. But on an after thought, why should he have when it was an unnecessary throw by Jones which served no purpose in the first place. A little extra agression was needed at that point to not let the English bully the Aussies the way the Aussies usually bully teams. :D

Last edited: