• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Paul Collingwood has a death wish

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Pratyush said:
There have been the ghost stories and concerns over the Giles injury
GHOST stories?

You know, when I'd heard that certain, er, 'happenings' had, er, help me out here, DD.

<quack> LE jumped to the wrong conclusion when the phrase 'put the willies up the Aussies' was mooted last week. Then today's reference to 'Gayden'.....

It was an easy enough mistake to make.

<quack> He's been working too hard.

I have, I have.

Slow Love™

International Captain
gio said:
So why didn't hayden just ignore it, just as Colly had done for the previous fortnight when Hayden et all had been given him the stick?
I don't know, but it COULD be because there's a slight difference between being pelted with a cricket ball in the chest from halfway down the pitch and getting a bit of a sledging.

It's hardly the worst thing to happen on a cricket field, but christ, people, the reason Hayden reacted the way he did was because it probably hurt. Most of us would have probably reacted similarly. It's probably likely that many international batsman would have. It's not a natural part of the game - when you get hit by a bouncer, you're supposed to be prepared to protect yourself - but you don't expect the ball to come at high speed right at your upper body from close up immediately after you've blocked one up the pitch.

I have no real qualm with Jones, because it was a quick, spontaneous act, and he immediately apologized. However, it shouldn't be that difficult to see why Hayden would crack it, when Collingwood further inflamed the affair by giving Hayden a serve when he'd already turned around to get on with the game.

Would perceptions be different on both sides if the positions were reversed. Of course they would. That wouldn't make the Aussie supporters in that situation any less wrong. Or the English supporters less right for thinking it was all a bit much and that [insert English batsman's name here]'s reaction was justified. Think about it.

No, really, give it a try. :)

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Slow Love™ said:
Too late! I think you already might have. :p
You really ARE a whingeing Aussie, aren't you?

God, what would you be like if someone stole your surfboard wax or something really serious?

What dould you do - ban Simon Jones or go for the full fingernail extraction and Welsh Inquisition?

"Confess, Simon, have you?"

"No, bach."

"Confess, or the sheep gets it, isn't it?"

Langeveldt

Soutie
Pair of tossers to be honest, haven't got time for either of them.. Jones was stupid to throw when it was uncalled for, and Hayden's reaction was rubbish and thoroughly predictable... What a shame

Slow Love™

International Captain
luckyeddie said:
You really ARE a whingeing Aussie, aren't you?
Who's whingeing? I'm "explaining". Since the loss to Bangladesh (and the subsequent tearing of my handbag into shreds), I feel I have an excellent sense of perspective about things. And you're wrong about this. Don't feel too bad about it, it happens to all of us at some stage - hell, Scallywag pulls it off every post.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Slow Love™ said:
Who's whingeing? I'm "explaining". Since the loss to Bangladesh (and the subsequent tearing of my handbag into shreds), I feel I have an excellent sense of perspective about things. And you're wrong about this. Don't feel too bad about it, it happens to all of us at some stage - hell, Scallywag pulls it off every post.
Lol! :D

James

Cricket Web Owner
nts said:
If a fielder wants to throw down the stumps - even if batsmn's in his crease - he can. It's called pressure. A batsman's rightful place at that stage is not infront of the stumps (or obstructing fielders from any other position). As long as the thrower is not aiming to hit the batsman, if he gets hit its his problem. get over it Gayden.
Watch your comments in future please, that sort of behavior is un-called for.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Slow Love™ said:
Whingeing, explaining - it's all the same to me. I've seen it all before - goodness, I can even remember the time when Australia weren't the best side in the world (mind you, I can't remember when England WERE the best - I'm only 52). You'd have had something to moan about then.

As for me being wrong - well, as you say, it does happen. I can remember when this woman asked me whether the 43A went via Megalaughton Lane and I said that it did. A little while later, I remembered that it didn't - it just stopped at the BOTTOM of Megalaughton Lane. Unfortunately, she had gone.

Still, anyone can make a mistake - and I was only 4 at the time.

tooextracool

International Coach
FaaipDeOiad said:
You will notice, on the replay, that after the first moment when Jones apologises, Hayden turns away seeming satisfied by it and starts to walk back to the crease, before he suddenly turns and moves towards Collingwood, who is running in. One can only assume Collingwood came out with some sort of comment which displeased Hayden in some way, hence the conflict. It's perfectly within the rules of course, but I don't subscribe to the view that Collingwood was some sort of hero for coming out with a nasty remark when Hayden was clearly a bit ****ed off already and escalating the situation. It's not like he was running in to protect Jones or anything.
seeming satisfied? he was still swearing even after he turned his back. he was perfectly right to do so, but i dont see why collingwood did anything wrong, considering he only did what hayden has been doing for years now.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
luckyeddie said:
Whingeing, explaining - it's all the same to me. I've seen it all before - goodness, I can even remember the time when Australia weren't the best side in the world (mind you, I can't remember when England WERE the best - I'm only 52). You'd have had something to moan about then.

As for me being wrong - well, as you say, it does happen. I can remember when this woman asked me whether the 43A went via Megalaughton Lane and I said that it did. A little while later, I remembered that it didn't - it just stopped at the BOTTOM of Megalaughton Lane. Unfortunately, she had gone.

Still, anyone can make a mistake - and I was only 4 at the time.
:laugh: :laugh: what does it feel like to be perfect for the past 48 years? :D

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Anil said:
:laugh: :laugh: what does it feel like to be perfect for the past 48 years? :D
We all have our crosses to bear.

Either way, I'm not actually always right - it's just the fact that I'm so darned convincing that you all believe me, even when I'm not.

Perhaps I ought to be a politician

badgerhair

U19 Vice-Captain
luckyeddie said:
Whingeing, explaining - it's all the same to me. I've seen it all before - goodness, I can even remember the time when Australia weren't the best side in the world (mind you, I can't remember when England WERE the best - I'm only 52).
I supposed that you were excluding your early childhood from this reminiscence until you started wittering on about telling lies to old ladies at age four. What leads you to suppose that England were not the best in the world in the mid-to-late 50s? I mean, we beat everybody else around that time, and I'm not sure what other measure you can really use.

Cheers,

Mike

Barney Rubble said:
he wasn't afraid of Hayden because he knew he had intimidating guys like Pietersen to back him up. .
:laugh: You have to be kidding. Either that or you yourself are scared of your own shawdow.

That pretty boy is about as intimidating as Posh Spice.

Nice earings though.