• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Paul Collingwood has a death wish

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Pedro Delgado said:
So I take it you're in the "nobody wants to see that on a cricket field" mould then Faaip, fair enough mate. Personally I found it quite funny, and these little skirmishes can lead to great cricketing battles against bat and ball, which will hopefully be the case this summer with those two. Jones is wont to throw down the stumps, he's an aggresive cricketer and tries to get into batsmen, nowt wrong with that inho although his aim leaved a lot to be desired t'other day. Hayden is renowned for "walking to the ball" isn't he, maybe Jones didn't like it and wanted to say "you don't walk to my bowling mate". Seems fair do's to me, just unfortunate that his aim was awful.
Not exactly, and I don't think the incident is a majorly important one. However, throwing the ball at Hayden OR at the stumps at that moment in time was completely idiotic, and it doesn't take a genius to realise you've got a decent chance of hitting the batsman, and Hayden was therefore completely justified in getting annoyed with Jones, and with Collingwood. You will notice, on the replay, that after the first moment when Jones apologises, Hayden turns away seeming satisfied by it and starts to walk back to the crease, before he suddenly turns and moves towards Collingwood, who is running in. One can only assume Collingwood came out with some sort of comment which displeased Hayden in some way, hence the conflict. It's perfectly within the rules of course, but I don't subscribe to the view that Collingwood was some sort of hero for coming out with a nasty remark when Hayden was clearly a bit ****ed off already and escalating the situation. It's not like he was running in to protect Jones or anything.

gio

U19 Cricketer
Collingwood had taken a lot of flak from the Aussies and Hayden in particular, so used this moment to get back at him... plus, later in the game when Lee ran in front of and tripped Tres (and almost got run out) Lee apologised and Tres took it like a man...

that's the difference between these two sides...I think Australia are feeling a little victimised at the moment with the press, and the crowd getting on their back, as well as the poor early results...This was Hayden's reaction to it all by chucking his toys out the pram...

deeps

International 12th Man
Pedro Delgado said:
Most possibly would. I think temperament has a lot to do with it. If the same incident had happened with Lee hitting Mick or Marcus for example, I doubt we would have seen the histryonics we saw with Matty.
Matty is a big man... He can get away with doing it... As did andy Symonds against waqar in the world cup.

If someone small, like Tatenda Taibu, or Mohammed Ashraful tried something like that, it woudln't have any effect, as Simon Jones isn't going to be terrified of either batsman.

deeps

International 12th Man
FaaipDeOiad said:
You will notice, on the replay, that after the first moment when Jones apologises, Hayden turns away seeming satisfied by it and starts to walk back to the crease, before he suddenly turns and moves towards Collingwood, who is running in. One can only assume Collingwood came out with some sort of comment which displeased Hayden in some way, hence the conflict.
exactly..so why ppl are saying that hayden got worked up by it, and feels victimised or whatever is totally untoward.

In actual fact, it's collingwood who copped alot of flak from the aussies, and felt victimised and it was his feeble attempt of getting back at them.

Trying to act all tough, with his mates watching his back. If it was in the carpark, one on one, collingwood wouldn't be found in the same postcode as haydos

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
TBH I just think it was a Hayden reaction, nothing to do with the team feeling victimised, and that if it had happened to Tres he'd have given Lee/whoever a look, then acknowledged the apology. Different temperaments.
Hayden has said that "gamesmanship" is rife in Aussie sport from the age of five apparantly, and that if England want to start it then "play on". Not quite sure what he's on about but there you go.

Link , just to clarify. Is this true Aussies? Poor show if it is.

Last edited:

nts

Cricket Spectator
If a fielder wants to throw down the stumps - even if batsmn's in his crease - he can. It's called pressure. A batsman's rightful place at that stage is not infront of the stumps (or obstructing fielders from any other position). As long as the thrower is not aiming to hit the batsman, if he gets hit its his problem. get over it Gayden.

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
nts said:
If a fielder wants to throw down the stumps - even if batsmn's in his crease - he can. It's called pressure. A batsman's rightful place at that stage is not infront of the stumps (or obstructing fielders from any other position). As long as the thrower is not aiming to hit the batsman, if he gets hit its his problem. get over it Gayden.

Quite possibly the least gay of all the Aussies, good Cathoilic boy, a few kiddies.

I honest think that Jones didn't like Matt walking on to the ball, and this was his way of telling him so. He just buggered it up spectacularly, I've no problem at all with Jones' intentions.

gio

U19 Cricketer
deeps said:
exactly..so why ppl are saying that hayden got worked up by it, and feels victimised or whatever is totally untoward.

In actual fact, it's collingwood who copped alot of flak from the aussies, and felt victimised and it was his feeble attempt of getting back at them.

Trying to act all tough, with his mates watching his back. If it was in the carpark, one on one, collingwood wouldn't be found in the same postcode as haydos
Thing is thats a lie. Hayden turned round, started rubbing his side and mouthing off a load of crap, turned and started walking towards Jones. That's where Colly runs in.

deeps

International 12th Man
gio said:
Thing is thats a lie. Hayden turned round, started rubbing his side and mouthing off a load of crap, turned and started walking towards Jones. That's where Colly runs in.
and then hayden turns around satisfied..is about to walk back towards his crease...notices somethin collingwood says.and goes after collingwood

gio

U19 Cricketer
Strauss apparently was the first one in there, as he's been given a lot of flak as well. So all this chat about Colly is negelcting the fact that Strauss was there well before collingwood.

gio

U19 Cricketer
deeps said:
and then hayden turns around satisfied..is about to walk back towards his crease...notices somethin collingwood says.and goes after collingwood
So why didn't hayden just ignore it, just as Colly had done for the previous fortnight when Hayden et all had been given him the stick?

Last edited:

deeps

International 12th Man
gio said:
So why didn't hayden just ignore it, just as Colly had done for the previous fortnight when Hayden et all had been given him the stick?
coz he was already fired up from the incident moments earlier

Gloucefan

U19 Vice-Captain
deeps said:
coz he was already fired up from the incident moments earlier
To be fair if that reaction was a result of something Colly said, I would have thought that the Aussies should be the last to team on the planet to react.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
It's one of those incidents that no-one comes out of smelling of roses: Jones definitely shouldn't have thrown the ball, Hayden shouldn't have reacted as he did & Colly shouldn't have added his twopenneth worth.

What it will have done is shown England that Hayden appears as if he can be got at. Any quick worth his salt will have noticed that he got out shortly after. Now that may've been sheer coincidence (it was a great ball from Jones, pitching on middle & leg and straightening), but it may be he was unsettled by the incident. If he'd rubbed his tit, winked & gone on to a big score we'd all be saying how silly that Jones fellow is, what a thoroughly bad egg he is & pointing out he's one of those beastly Welshmen anyway. ;)

From the reports I've read Hayden is probably the most unpopular Aussie in the England camp (their sledger-in-chief, apparently, which is no small accolade considering the competition in the Australian team) so I've no doubt he'll cop plenty in the weeks & months to come.

gio

U19 Cricketer
I darn well hope so... I used to like him when he was smacking bowlers around the park for Northants... now he's my sworn enemy! :censored:

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
I do wonder what the Aussies would've made of it had the teams been reversed?
My heart bleeds for them, it really does.

Seriously, it's nothing but a storm in a teacup, and the only people getting worked up about it are Aussie supporters and a few more idiotic members of the Press.

In a week's time, there will be something else to blow out of all proportion and we'll all have yet another chance to vent our spleens again - probably over something really serious this time like someone's been hogging the shower or stolen the sun-block.

Gayden

<quack> Do you think it was a typo, LE? After all, G's next to H

Yes, DD - I really think it might have been. Otherwise that would be very immature.

<quack> Agreed - and that's your job.

Fell for that didn't I?

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
luckyeddie said:
In a week's time, there will be something else to blow out of all proportion - probably over something really serious this time
There have been the ghost stories and concerns over the Giles injury