• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Paul Collingwood has a death wish

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Scaly piscine said:
You lot have a vivid imagination (I suppose you have to with most of the women in Australia being extras off Prisoner Cell Block H), not so long ago some people were imaginating that Australia would go the whole tour unbeaten.
I think it's more that people were imagining Australia could go the whole tour unbeaten, which I think they certainly could have. It's a big ask of course and only one team has ever done it before, and I don't think anyone was saying they actually would do it, just that it was plausible.

Anyway, Australia look to be righting their ship a bit now, and there's only 5 ODIs left for them before the longer tour matches and the tests, where they could indeed go unbeaten. I still think they will lose one test though, and I'd guess one more ODI as well, probably in the NWC.

Gloucefan

U19 Vice-Captain
tassietiger said:
Hayden had a right to be angry, but he took it a bit far. As much as it may have hurt, he's a big boy and Jones did say sorry.

As for Collingwood, rotflmao. Look at the big tough boy coming to save the day. I know we were told not to imagine, but I could imagine Haydos beating the entire English team with one hand while drinking a protein shake in the other. Don't know why...
Don't talk daft, their is always someone bigger and harder. You can lose a fight on any day that you might normaly win. Anyway we should stop it with the '"my Dad's stronger than your Dad" crap it's cricket not boxing.

Retox

State Vice-Captain
Gloucefan said:
Don't talk daft, their is always someone bigger and harder. You can lose a fight on any day that you might normaly win. Anyway we should stop it with the '"my Dad's stronger than your Dad" crap it's cricket not boxing.

And here was my thinking it was boxing... I suck.

deeps

International 12th Man
for those idiots who think that hayden advancing down the wicket was a "chink" in the armour of the australians who are getting frustrated by the english men...

think back to the last world cup...waqar younis to andrew symonds

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
deeps said:
for those idiots who think that hayden advancing down the wicket was a "chink" in the armour of the australians who are getting frustrated by the english men...

think back to the last world cup...waqar younis to andrew symonds
Ah, Waqar, beaming all over his face.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
One thing everyone seems to have failed to notice (or at least not commented on) is that Jonesy trapped the hulking haemorrhoid-sufferer leg before soon after he brushed his tit with the leather without Hayden troubling the scorers any further.

1-0 to the horse-faced Taff, I think. :p

tooextracool

International Coach
Scallywag said:
Jones undies for one, did you see his face when he crapped himself as Hayden turned around.
i doubt jones would be in any way afraid of hayden. the only reason jones made the apology was because it was his fault.

tooextracool

International Coach
Deja moo said:
Sticking for your team mates is no excuse for picking up a fight with a guy who has been wronged. For all the sledging the Aussies get involved in, getting physical is one thing you can never accuse them of. I hope Collingwood wears his diapers next time he walks out to bat.
i think all collingwood wanted to do was give hayden a bit of a verbal just to get back at hayden(rumours are that colly copped quite a bit from hayden while he was batting). i'd think hayden's reaction to jones was warranted but it was nothing but his fault to have reacted the way he did to collingwood.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
tooextracool said:
i doubt jones would be in any way afraid of hayden. the only reason jones made the apology was because it was his fault.
Exactly. Jones is Welsh, he doesn't get scared. They didn't win the Grand Slam for nothing you know.

Hayden's a midget anyway.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Actually, having seen Hayden in real life, he's not as big as what I thought he'd be, going off all the hype about being such a massive man. Mind you, I'm not saying his small, and his shoulders probably have their own postcode, but height wise he didnt' seem a patch on some of the fast bowlers (which is how I pictured him).

Barney Rubble

International Coach
vic_orthdox said:
Actually, having seen Hayden in real life, he's not as big as what I thought he'd be, going off all the hype about being such a massive man. Mind you, I'm not saying his small, and his shoulders probably have their own postcode, but height wise he didnt' seem a patch on some of the fast bowlers (which is how I pictured him).
Apparently he's about 6ft 3in. Never met him though.
Two guys who I have met, who are both FAR bigger than they seem in real life, are Marcus Trescothick and Graeme Smith. Tresco just looks kinda fat on TV, but he really is very thick-set, whereas Smith is just huge. Huge. The biggest hands in the entire world, and the strongest grip to go with it - if I ever meet him again, I'll try not to shake his hand! :D

aliG

School Boy/Girl Captain
deeps said:
u gotta be out of ur mind to pick a fight with matty hayden..

especially if he's holding a bat :P

hes an old man. a granny can beat him up.

infact, the entire aussie team is old. their time is up man.

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
Entrael said:
Saying that Hayden may have gone over the top but its the heat of the moment, its country verse country, what can people except. Haydens not gonna say "oh oww, that hurts" and make nothing out of it. If i was in his position i would of done the same thing and i know most people would.
Most possibly would. I think temperament has a lot to do with it. If the same incident had happened with Lee hitting Mick or Marcus for example, I doubt we would have seen the histryonics we saw with Matty. On the other hand there are plenty of Englishmen with a similar temper to him; Chris Adams offered Wasim out to the car park once after being hit by a beamer and feeling Wasims apology wasn't good enough (IIRC Wasim just wafted his hand in the general direction of Adams by way of apology, whereas Jones the Dragon did seem genuenly sorry for the accident and made a forceful effort to act so).

Anyway, I think "handbags a seven paces" is the phrase and they should just have a pint and laugh it off, just like Beefy and Chappell did all those years ago... :p

Last edited:

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
I don't think what Jones did can be compared with a beamer really. They're both accidental incidents which involve getting hit with the ball, but a beamer is an understandable accident (assuming of course that it's an accident), since if you're trying to get that extra bit of pace, the ball can just slip out of your hands. It's just part of the game... you cop the no ball, apologise, and try not to do it again or you are out of the attack.

Jones throwing the ball and hitting Hayden is different, because the whole thing wouldn't have happened if Jones was behaving sensibly anyway. Hayden was well within his crease, Jones had no reasonable reason to throw the ball at him and never should have done it. I have no doubt the hit itself was accidental, but throwing the ball wasn't, and he shouldn't have done it in the first place.

Anyway, it's not a particularly important incident and I'm sure it won't have much of an impact on anything in the future, but really Hayden had every right to get the ***** with Jones doing something so utterly daft and hitting him in the process.

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
So I take it you're in the "nobody wants to see that on a cricket field" mould then Faaip, fair enough mate. Personally I found it quite funny, and these little skirmishes can lead to great cricketing battles against bat and ball, which will hopefully be the case this summer with those two. Jones is wont to throw down the stumps, he's an aggresive cricketer and tries to get into batsmen, nowt wrong with that inho although his aim leaved a lot to be desired t'other day. Hayden is renowned for "walking to the ball" isn't he, maybe Jones didn't like it and wanted to say "you don't walk to my bowling mate". Seems fair do's to me, just unfortunate that his aim was awful.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
yeah, I have seen Shane Warne throw a ball right into the direction of Laxman's head during his 281 at the Eden and he never even apologised. Obviously, it would have been worser had Laxman not gotten himself out of the way.