• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Africa v Asia

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Hmmm, I wonder whose going to win this one? Given that the teams will most likely look something like this:

Africa:

1. GC Smith
2. AB De Villiers
3. JH Kallis
4. HH Gibbs
5. J Kemp
6. SM Pollock
7. T Taibu
8. H Streak
9. C Obuya
10. M Ntini
11. A Nel

Asia:

1. V Sehwag
2. ST Jayasuriya
3. R Dravid
4. SR Tendulkar
5. Inzamam-Ul-Haq
6. Mohammad Ashraful
7. K Sangakkara
8. WPUJC Vaas
9. IK Pathan
10. A Kumble
11. M Muralitharan

I'd say Asia will win very comfortably indeed. Just look at the spin-bowling departments to compare the two line-ups - Murali, Kumble and Jayasuriya vs Obuya and Graeme Smith!

dinu23

International Debutant
it's been held in S. Africa, isn't it? so I don't think there will be much help for the spinners.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Seeing that 70% of the profits go to the home continent, I hope that they're mainly spent on Zimbos, Kenya or Namibia, and their development, even though South Africa are hosting it.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
It does seem silly to me - Asia have the pick of 3 decent international sides plus the odd Bangladeshi for good measure.

Africa is basically 1 team plus Streak.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Prince EWS said:
Why would they play De Villiers and Obuya?? I seriously cant see that happening to be honest.
They probably won't play De Villiers, I just put him in because I couldn't be bothered to think properly. That's a rough team, and Obuya is in there because they will want Kenya to have a representative. I guess if Namibia are going to get one as well, then Jan-Berrie Burger might play, but that's unlikely.

Even if the pitch doesn't help spinners, that won't make much of a difference if the spinners concerned are Murali and Kumble.

If you think this is one-sided, maybe England should play Rest of Europe, or West Indies v Rest of Americas, South Africa v Rest of Africa etc...... :D

C_C

International Captain
I dont think Andy Flower is likely to feature in any international contests(unless it is of the charity sort) on a regular basis, since he is retired from international cricket

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
What a waste of time.

The novelty of this series will go quickly. Especially considering Africa can only really pick from one decent team.

chekmeout

U19 Debutant
How many matches will be played?
I presume they will be played with the substitution rule and 20 overs fielding restrictions - that might add a bit of excitement to an otherwise pointless series.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Barney Rubble said:
They probably won't play De Villiers, I just put him in because I couldn't be bothered to think properly. That's a rough team, and Obuya is in there because they will want Kenya to have a representative. I guess if Namibia are going to get one as well, then Jan-Berrie Burger might play, but that's unlikely.

Even if the pitch doesn't help spinners, that won't make much of a difference if the spinners concerned are Murali and Kumble.

If you think this is one-sided, maybe England should play Rest of Europe, or West Indies v Rest of Americas, South Africa v Rest of Africa etc...... :D
Obuya isnt even the best Kenyan available though.

Steve Tikolo beats him hands down.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Barney Rubble said:
I guess if Namibia are going to get one as well, then Jan-Berrie Burger might play, but that's unlikely.
There could be about four Burgers if they were to select from the squad from WC2003.

<quack> Are we talking about anti-Americanism in cricket again?