• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Superior Bowler: Vaas or Gillespie?

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
I'd love your opinions on these two players who have both taken 200+ Test wickets, been frequently overshadowed by all-time greats, have mastery of swing, and have made inroads into the mystery of batting.

Your thoughts?

Swervy

International Captain
At the moment I might be inclined to go with Vaas,as Dizzy seems to have lost a bit of edge recently

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Pretty simple really - Vaas the ultimate master of inconsistency, Gillespie an appreciable apprentice.
Both absolutely fantastic bowlers when they get it right (both utterly rubbish when they don't) but I'd give good-Vaas the edge over good-Gillespie.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Swervy said:
At the moment I might be inclined to go with Vaas,as Dizzy seems to have lost a bit of edge recently
Dizzy's lost edge countless times - he'll get it back this time, too, as ever.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
I'd go for Gillespie. Vaas has a tendancy to be woefully inconsistent and have absolutely dead series where he can't buy a wicket. Gillespie to a lesser extent also suffers from inconsistency, but his low points are less low, in my opinion, while his high points are equally brilliant. Even when he's not being successful, he is a useful stock bowler who is quite accurate and can buy a wicket with decent pace and sharp movement off the pitch. Vaas when he isn't bowling well tends to get smashed around a bit.

With regard to Gillespie "losing his edge", I think it's a bit early to judge that. he didn't have a great Australian summer but he was certainly passable, and it was only 8 months ago in India that he was Australia's best bowler by a considerable margin, with 20 wickets @ 16 and a major role in winning the decisive third test. People are mostly judging him on his poor start to the Ashes tour, but I think he will return to form. Vaas at his best is an extremely good bowler, but he's never been able to maintain that for extended periods, and with his lack of pace tends to rely a bit too much on helpful conditions, while Gillespie is an effective bowler on any wicket.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Richard said:
Sometimes, yes, but not always.
I should also add that this particular case is one where I think the career statistics have some relevance. They both suffer from inconsistency somewhat, and at their best are equally devastating, but the fact that Gillespie averages almost 5 runs less per wicket and averages .5 more wickets per test indicates that when he isn't bowling at his best he is still a useful bowler, and that his high points come more often.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
FaaipDeOiad said:
I should also add that this particular case is one where I think the career statistics have some relevance. They both suffer from inconsistency somewhat, and at their best are equally devastating, but the fact that Gillespie averages almost 5 runs less per wicket and averages .5 more wickets per test indicates that when he isn't bowling at his best he is still a useful bowler, and that his high points come more often.
I think it just shows that Gillespie doesn't tend to get made to pay for bowling poorly as badly as Vaas tends to, something perhaps relative to the strength of their fellow attacks.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I would go with Gillespie. Vaas is a very good bowler, as is Gillespie, however Gillespie has a nip and zing that Vaas doesn't have.

dinu23

International Debutant
At present form i'd say Vaas. Vaas performed really well for his county this season.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Both are Top class bowlers but when Gillespie is in top form he is better than Vaas in top form. Plus i'm pretty sure that Gillespie has a better record in all conditons than Vaas, but with regards to ODI i would give Vaas a slight edge.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
28 wickets @ 27.82?

That's not what I would call really well.
Try 16 wickets at 3.69-an-over with an average of 14.62.
That's his record in the one-day game.
And I'd call that bowling really well.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
aussie said:
Both are Top class bowlers but when Gillespie is in top form he is better than Vaas in top form. Plus i'm pretty sure that Gillespie has a better record in all conditons than Vaas, but with regards to ODI i would give Vaas a slight edge.
Naturally Gillespie has a better record in seam-friendly conditions than Vaas, but to say Gillespie is better with both in good form is folly.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
vic_orthdox said:
Might also have something to do with Gillespie bowling as full a length as anyone with their stock ball in Test cricket.
Vaas is shorter than Gillespie so has less margin-for-error in length.
They're square on that front.