• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England Players

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
What about the other England failures...

Darren Maddy
Graeme Swann
Chris Silverwood
Ed Giddins
Aftab Habib
Peter Such
Chris Adams
Gavin Hamilton
Chris Schofield
Martin Mccague
Min Patel

List goes on and on.... :-O

cpr

International Coach
Well i can tell you where Chris Schofield is, i dropped 20p in his cup in St Anns Square the other day :P

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Matteh said:

Darren Maddy
Graeme Swann
Chris Silverwood
Ed Giddins
Aftab Habib
Peter Such
Chris Adams
Gavin Hamilton
Chris Schofield
Martin Mccague
Min Patel

Most of those are still playing county cricket. Exception is Giddins, he retired after the coke scandal, and Such, who I've never heard about...(oh, and Schofield, as cpr said ;))

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Giddins' retirement had nothing to do with the cocaine scandal, AFAIK anyway - that was years ago.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Matteh said:

Darren Maddy
Graeme Swann
Chris Silverwood
Ed Giddins
Aftab Habib
Peter Such
Chris Adams
Gavin Hamilton
Chris Schofield
Martin Mccague
Min Patel

Most of whom should never, ever have been picked for England; Schofield, Maddy and Adams being the biggest gaffes.
Such and Patel, being fingerspinners, were never going to amount to much in England; McCague, Giddins and Silverwood have never been consistent enough, despite all obviously being talented bowlers; Hamilton was picked more because of WC99 than season-after-season domestic cricket; Swann was picked way,way too early; and Habib was given a raw deal, though if it came down to him or Atherton (as it did) I know who I'd prefer.
Incidentally... out of those who've retired, Such retired after 2001, McCague IIRR after 2002, Giddins after 2003 and, it would seem, Schofield and Hamilton after 2004.
Silverwood, sadly, has been a peripheral figure this season, too, and I'm getting a nasty feeling he might go the same way as Gough, Hamilton, Hutchison, Sidebottom et al.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Richard said:
and, it would seem, Schofield and Hamilton after 2004.
Hamilton hasn't retired, he just doesn't bowl any more - and has lost a bit of ability with the bat, too. Played ok for Scotland in the ICC trophy, though. Contracted to Durham, IIRC

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Certainly was contracted to Durham last season (dunno if he still is - that's why I thought he might have retired).
Bowled a bit last season - not badly, either.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yeah, I know that, but that doesn't matter - it's if he's playing county cricket that matters.
Otherwise he's retired.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Gavin Hamilton and Chris Schofield have both been turning out for Durham 2nds this year. Cbf linking you to the scorecards. If you want to find out go to www.cricketarchive.co.uk and find them yourself, you lazy b*stards :p

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Possibly, though I'm not sold on Swann's temperament yet (and I also hope Giles has at least 4 or so more years in him) - it is closer to Tufnell than Giles, and it's temperament that makes Tufnell good and Giles exceptional.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Maybe the most appropriate way to put it would be "retired from regular cricket in a top-cricket-playing country".
That do ya? :)
Playing for a substandard ODI team doesn't do much for me, no. I don't think you could say Clayton Lambert "came out of retirement" to play for USA, because I'm sure he picked-up a bat sometime between the end of his First-Class career and ICC CT 2004.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Hehe, okay. I don't think he's retired out of free will, though, more that Durham selectors don't think he's good enough - same as Schofield.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I thought Peter Such wasn't a bad bowler. Bowled well against the Aussies and took both of his Test 5-fers against them. I remember the 6-fer he took; he bowled really, really well that day.

Swervy

International Captain
Top_Cat said:
I thought Peter Such wasn't a bad bowler. Bowled well against the Aussies and took both of his Test 5-fers against them. I remember the 6-fer he took; he bowled really, really well that day.
I agree..Such was possibly the best offy England have produced other than Tuffnell for a good 25 years