• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Yousuf Youhana or Sourav Ganguly?

cricket player

International Debutant
Now this is a real match up,

Who do you think is better,Both having averages above 40 in odis,

Who do you think is a better batsman.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Overall (Tests & ODIs) from what I have seen I would rate Youhana as the better player, in ODIs I would rate Ganguly far better, in tests I would put Youhana ahead of Ganguly, but only by a little.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Ganguly in his prime was better than Youhana. At the moment I'd take Youhana in both forms, but that's largely because Ganguly is so woeful of late.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
In Tests Ganguly still smotes Youhana, Ganguly has actually scored some runs against remotely challenging bowling (as opposed to Youhana who averages 16.85 against South Africa, 24.50 against Sri Lanka, 29.60 against Australia and 21.25 in England). Overall Youhana's average against Test-class teams is 42.82, Ganguly's 39.88, and Youhana's undoubtedly the better at piling-up the runs when the going's good.
In ODIs, as was the original question, they're completely different players, and it's not really possible to compare them.
Ganguly is very adept at smacking it in the first 15 and Youhana's much more of a middle-overs nurdler - one of the best ever, in fact.

ramkumar_gr

U19 Vice-Captain
Richard said:
In Tests Ganguly still smotes Youhana, Ganguly has actually scored some runs against remotely challenging bowling (as opposed to Youhana who averages 16.85 against South Africa, 24.50 against Sri Lanka, 29.60 against Australia and 21.25 in England). Overall Youhana's average against Test-class teams is 42.82, Ganguly's 39.88, and Youhana's undoubtedly the better at piling-up the runs when the going's good.
In ODIs, as was the original question, they're completely different players, and it's not really possible to compare them.
Ganguly is very adept at smacking it in the first 15 and Youhana's much more of a middle-overs nurdler - one of the best ever, in fact.
In ODIs no question of comparison. Ganguly is a far better player.
But if you dont go by current form, Ganguly is also a better test player.

Gloucefan

U19 Vice-Captain
Just watched Ganguly go for a duck for Glamorgan against the shire at the county ground, crap shot.

Still It's Ganguly in my eyes.

Shoaib

Banned
Youhana's average in test matches is 47.46 while that of Ganguly is 40.9.So how is Ganguly a better test player?But in odi's, Ganguly's average is 41.26 with a strike rate of 74.21% and that of Youhana is 41.70 with a strike rate of 75.21%.So,Youhana is a better test player than Ganguly.But when considering their performance in odi's,they both r birds belonging to same flock IMO.I've taken all stats from http://aus.cricinfo.com/db/STATS/AUS/

SpeedKing

U19 Vice-Captain
I think Youhana has been more consistent than for Ganguly as long as i have followed cricket [since 2003] so i would put him ahead. Thinking about it again, it is not really much of a contest IMHO, I would rather have Youhana any day, in any form of the game

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
age_master said:
Yohanna has the better head on his shoulders
I guess we are talking about batting abilities. :p Because if we were to talk about Better Heads then Shane Warne would be the worst spinner in the world. ;)

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Shoaib said:
Youhana's average in test matches is 47.46 while that of Ganguly is 40.9.So how is Ganguly a better test player?But in odi's, Ganguly's average is 41.26 with a strike rate of 74.21% and that of Youhana is 41.70 with a strike rate of 75.21%.So,Youhana is a better test player than Ganguly.But when considering their performance in odi's,they both r birds belonging to same flock IMO.I've taken all stats from http://aus.cricinfo.com/db/STATS/AUS/
Dude, You have to watch Youhana play against Good teams. It's just that Gangs has been aweful in last couple of years. Youhana against Gangs of 1996-2003 is no comparison in any form of cricket.

http://statserver.cricket.org/guru?...1;.cgifields=cplayerid;.cgifields=comparetype

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
SpeedKing said:
I think Youhana has been more consistent than for Ganguly as long as i have followed cricket [since 2003] so i would put him ahead. Thinking about it again, it is not really much of a contest IMHO, I would rather have Youhana any day, in any form of the game
You must watch some tapes of the 90s then, because in the ODI form of the game Ganguly is a shadow of his former self.

That being said, ATM I'd choose Youhana in both forms, but in their peak I'd probably take Ganguly in ODIs and Youhana in tests.

cricket player

International Debutant
Jono said:
You must watch some tapes of the 90s then, because in the ODI form of the game Ganguly is a shadow of his former self.

That being said, ATM I'd choose Youhana in both forms, but in their peak I'd probably take Ganguly in ODIs and Youhana in tests.
ICC Top Ten ODI
You will find Youhana In that list.I didnt see Ganguly their Even Though he was in his peak.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Sanz said:
I guess we are talking about batting abilities. :p Because if we were to talk about Better Heads then Shane Warne would be the worst spinner in the world. ;)
twas just a passing comment. we must also remember that "he [ganguly] is a ***** basically, and thats paying him a compliment"

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
age_master said:
twas just a passing comment. we must also remember that "he [ganguly] is a ***** basically, and thats paying him a compliment"
Only person that seems a ***** to me is YOU. ;)

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
His Most Sultry and Aloof Left-Handedness is one of my all-time favourite players - a class act (a shame he can't tell the time and work out how to get more than about 4 overs in per hour when he's captaining on the field).

If we're talking about just batting, then Youhana for me.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Sanz said:
Only person that seems a ***** to me is YOU. ;)
I think you're being a bit generous to age_master. He's a nice guy and a useful poster, but he doesn't really deserve five stars, I reckon...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
SpeedKing said:
Even a Test-match against Australia, South Africa, Sri Lanka or in England? :blink: