• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who is a better batsman Martyn or Chanderpaul?

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
I had a big argument on this the other day and i am maintainig that Martyn is a better batsman than Chanderpaul in most area's. Before Martyn superb performances in both forms of the game in 2004, they were probably even but since then Martyn has grown a gap in my view.

What do u blokes think??

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Martyn, by a fair sort of a margin in fact. The only players who are better than Martyn in the world currently are Dravid, Ponting, Kallis and Lara. And if Tendulkar ever gets back to his best, him too.

Chanderpaul is a good batsman, but he's a fair way off that sort of group.

cricket player

International Debutant
FaaipDeOiad said:
Martyn, by a fair sort of a margin in fact. The only players who are better than Martyn in the world currently are Dravid, Ponting, Kallis and Lara. And if Tendulkar ever gets back to his best, him too.

You must be kidding me right,

Martyn better then Tendulkar?

wake up,

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
cricket player said:

wake up,
He did say currently - And if Tendulkar ever gets back to his best he will be better than Martyn.

You wake up, and read the post properly.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
cricket player said:

wake up,
Point out where I said Martyn was better than Tendulkar? I said Martyn is better than Tendulkar right now, because Tendulkar is a shadow of his former self currently.

C_C

International Captain
Right now, Sehwag is better than martyn too.
And right now, Martyn is better than Chanders...though not by much.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
C_C said:
Right now, Sehwag is better than martyn too.
And right now, Martyn is better than Chanders...though not by much.
I disagree. At the moment, I'd rate Sehwag next after Martyn. Martyn played multiple match-winning hundreds in difficult conditions against quality bowling last year. Every time he scored runs, he made it count. Sehwag is a great player, but mostly seems to fall down when his team is in most need of runs, as evidenced by his poor second innings average and many of his big scores going nowhere rather than putting India in winning positions.

You can't argue with the following, in that respect:
http://www.howstat.com/cricket/Statistics/Matches/MatchScorecard.asp?MatchCode=1706
http://www.howstat.com/cricket/Statistics/Matches/MatchScorecard.asp?MatchCode=1732
http://www.howstat.com/cricket/Statistics/Matches/MatchScorecard.asp?MatchCode=1735
http://www.howstat.com/cricket/Statistics/Matches/MatchScorecard.asp?MatchCode=1748
http://www.howstat.com/cricket/Statistics/Matches/MatchScorecard.asp?MatchCode=1703

Sylvester

State Captain
Martyn with the newly addition of his ablity against spin definitely has made him a much better batsmen. He is one that bats all around the world.

Mister Wright

age_master said:
martyn easily, though his success is not as crucial to his team winning as Chanderpauls
I wouldn't say easily, Chanderpaul is a very fine batsman, Martyn has the added advantage of batting in a winning side, that has to take a lot of the pressure off. When the Windies were demolished by Australia at Brisbane in '01 I think it was, he batted with class in purpose to be 60 odd not out in the second innings, that and Ganguly's century in '04 are two of the best test innings I have seen live.

Mister Wright

It is starting to bewilder me the blindness which (some of) the Australians show on this forum. I think it is fair to say, that on current form and probably over that Martyn is a better batsman than Chanderpaul, but with the extent that some are saying here is just amazing. Chanerpaul is by no means a mug with the bat, and has played some very important innings and has done so with class and maturity, and has carried his team on more than enough occasions.

Beleg

International Regular
Chanderpaul has been the better of the two in my viewing experience. He is an extremely obstinate batsman, you can almost appreciate the tenacity with which he hangs onto his wicket and ****blocks most bowlers.

Martin too is a classy act. But I honestly haven't seen enough of him to comment on his relative place in the pantheon of modern greats.

I rate Chanders ahead of all playing currently except Ponting, Lara, Tendulkar, Sehwag, Inzy, Kallis, Dravid and Gilchrist. In such a batsman hippy-happy era that is very good going.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
FaaipDeOiad said:

Yep, agreed with everything in that post.