• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Salary

AndrewM

U19 12th Man
cricket player said:
Cricketers dont get paid that much,
What do you think?Should ICC do some thing about that,
It all depends in the context. Top Australian players can earn over a million a year. The income regarding the Indian players is amazing as well.. I've heard stories that Tendulkar owns a huge amount of expensive cars. The New Zealand situation is that the 20 contracted players are split into five groups, with the captain/ vice-captain/ top players earn a basic salary of $100,000 a year plus match fees, and the lowest bracket start at a retainer of $40,000. So Fleming would earn over $200,000 annually, which is pretty good for a cricketer.

So basically your comment is a slight generalisation. But compared to other mainstream sports (eg rugby and league in New Zealand) cricketers do paid less on average, that is for sure.

The ICC has nothing to do with it, is all relative to the individual country's unions.

cricket player

International Debutant
AndrewM said:
It all depends in the context. Top Australian players can earn over a million a year. The income regarding the Indian players is amazing as well.. I've heard stories that Tendulkar owns a huge amount of expensive cars. The New Zealand situation is that the 20 contracted players are split into five groups, with the captain/ vice-captain/ top players earn a basic salary of $100,000 a year plus match fees, and the lowest bracket start at a retainer of $40,000. So Fleming would earn over $200,000 annually, which is pretty good for a cricketer.

So basically your comment is a slight generalisation. But compared to other mainstream sports (eg rugby and league in New Zealand) cricketers do paid less on average, that is for sure.
You havent mentioned how much the pakistani players were paid,
They get paid 1500 dollars a month,That sucks

AndrewM

U19 12th Man
cricket player said:
Wow yeah, but as i said i can only comment on the countries that i know. What currency?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
cricket player said:
It all depends on the cost of living where they are.

1500 dollars in England wouldn't go anywhere.

In Pakistan it probably would.

Also factor in the fact that a lot of their living expenses will be paid by the PCB.

King_Ponting

International Regular
cricket player said:
Cricketers dont get paid that much,
What do you think?Should ICC do some thing about that,
Australian cricketers get paid a fair bit and are endorsed and supported by many external sponsors which contribute to an overall pay package that can be huge. I think it really depends on how good the team is and how well supported the sport is in that country. For example i had a loook at the new zealand figures that are being payed to that nations top cricketers and it is a long way below the amount the australians are getting payed.

Craig

World Traveller
It depends on how rich each Cricket board are. A board will usually not pay players money they can't afford, but in the case in the ZCU - pay them stuff all and still expect them to play for Zimbabwe (read an article on Murrary Goodwin in an Inside Edge magazine after he, and Neil Johnson quit international cricket).

dro87

U19 12th Man
I know Gilchrist get's something like 1 mil Australian Dollars, from his deal with Puma, and i know for sure (went in the italian newspapers) the Tendulkar got a free ferrari, 360 Modena, from his deal do endorse the Fiat pialio Tendular in India!

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Gilly is on more than 1 mil per year i think, Ponting, McGrath, Warne, Clarke and Lee all earn lots too

C_C

International Captain
Cricketers earn peanuts in comparison to most other sports.
The richest circketer, by a fair margin, is Tendulkar - who earns around 5 million US$ a year (with sponsorships).
And that is peanuts.
There are dozens of Hockey stars who make that much in salary alone - top hockey stars make 9-10 million a year in salary alone.
Schumacher makes something ridiculous like 30 million a year before sponsorships..
Top tennis stars make 8-9 million a year if you count sponsorship and prize money
Top golfers win something close to that too.
Top basketball or baseball players make 10-12 million a year in salary alone.

If you wanna get rich, cricket aint the sport.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
yeah Schumacher makes a reported 130 mil US or something stupid like that after sponsorships. im pretty sure hes the mist highly paid sportsman in the world atm

SpeedKing

U19 Vice-Captain
havent you heard of Tiger Woods and David Beckham and a flock of other ridiculously paid footballers. It is truly ridiculous

SpeedKing

U19 Vice-Captain
C_C said:
The richest circketer, by a fair margin, is Tendulkar - who earns around 5 million US$ a year (with sponsorships).
And that is peanuts.

There are dozens of Hockey stars who make that much in salary alone - top hockey stars make 9-10 million a year in salary alone.
Schumacher makes something ridiculous like 30 million a year before sponsorships..
Top tennis stars make 8-9 million a year if you count sponsorship and prize money

Wot, u saying that is peanuts. That is about 2.5 million pounds. that is alot of money. i am pretty sure Vaughan is the most paid English cricketer and i dont think he is even close to 1 millin pounds [that is about $US 2 million]

cricket player

International Debutant
Cricket isnt a rich sport,
Passion is what is required in cricket,and I dont want to be a cricketer for money,

in that case cricket wont go any where in USA because people in here play baseball,basketball,etc for money,

Shahid_afridi

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
i think shoaib akhtar is compared to other cricketers very rich.he earns a lot(or actually most of his money) through sponsorship and commercial i guess.

King_Ponting

International Regular
C_C said:
And that is peanuts.

Gilchrist, Ponting and Warne with sponsorships + salary are very close to Tendulkars mark. If not a little bit more.