• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Darren Ganga

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Seriously, I find it hard to conceive that Blewett would score such a mountain of runs as he has in Australian and English domestic cricket if he had such a basic flaw?
Something I've never noticed in the relatively limited watching of him.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
honestbharani said:
I don't think Ganga is any worse than the Wavell Hinds and Devon Smiths of the world.
Hinds is certainly better as far as Test-cricket and ODI-cricket are concerned.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Richard said:
Seriously, I find it hard to conceive that Blewett would score such a mountain of runs as he has in Australian and English domestic cricket if he had such a basic flaw?
Something I've never noticed in the relatively limited watching of him.
I guess it's sort of that "such a strength its a weakness" sort of thing, where because he is so good at driving through cover and square of cover, he does it to balls that probably aren't there for the shot. Most of the time he'll get away with it, and we'll see a trademark Blewett cover drive with that massive step forward...but occassionally it does bring about his dismissal.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
vic_orthdox said:
I guess it's sort of that "such a strength its a weakness" sort of thing, where because he is so good at driving through cover and square of cover, he does it to balls that probably aren't there for the shot. Most of the time he'll get away with it, and we'll see a trademark Blewett cover drive with that massive step forward...but occassionally it does bring about his dismissal.
He also tends to nick a lot off the back foot, trying to drive. And sometimes he drives in the air with his on drive (due to that big front foot step). Stuart Law always used to put in a silly mid-on for him, and Blewett couldn't help himself, got him there plenty of times.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
Ganga's a wonder. He scores runs at FC level and has a woonderful technique but can't make the grade in Tests. Then you have someone like Gayle who doesn't have the best technique yet does his thing.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
roseboy64 said:
Ganga's a wonder. He scores runs at FC level and has a woonderful technique but can't make the grade in Tests. Then you have someone like Gayle who doesn't have the best technique yet does his thing.
That's why I think having a good eye can overcome most technical problems. If you look at Bradman, his technique wasn't the greatest, but his eye was amazing - due to his early training.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Simply, Gayle's got a much better temperament than Ganga, and while Gayle is yet to prove himself much of a player on less flat pitches he's still undoubtedly a better Test player than Ganga.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
vic_orthdox said:
If something gets you 3 centuries and 1 single-figure score... it's a strength. Almost every single batsman who ever lived has got out because of a propensity to play his best stroke a bit too much... exactly the same as people who for some reason found it neccessary to criticise Lara and Lehmann for getting bowled around their legs occasionally... WHO CARES???? If it's got them the stacks of runs it has, it doesn't matter!!!!!

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Much agree, especially with the Lehmann/Lara thing. Point I'm making is that no-one ever would have really noticed it all that much, except that he went out twice in exactly the same manner on exactly the same score. Funnily enough, that score was 99, and so everyone remembers it well.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Richard said:
If something gets you 3 centuries and 1 single-figure score... it's a strength. Almost every single batsman who ever lived has got out because of a propensity to play his best stroke a bit too much... exactly the same as people who for some reason found it neccessary to criticise Lara and Lehmann for getting bowled around their legs occasionally... WHO CARES???? If it's got them the stacks of runs it has, it doesn't matter!!!!!
I actually think thats one of the better posts you've made. Very very good point, and I totally concur.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Daren Ganga is one of those West Indian batsmen who was exposed too early.
Sadly they are doing the same with most promising youngsters for the future at the moment.

Craig

World Traveller
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Marshall should have stayed at home and been allowed to play FC cricket. It really wasn't rocket science, but the selectors missed even that trick. They then persisted to play him when he was woefully out of form and depth. He's bounced back well with this opening knock on the A tour, but a lesser players would have had his confidence shot by such mishandling.
The thing that i have been thinking about lately is that after all the mistakes that have been made in the last 10-15 years, nothing seems to be learnt. Are they really that daft?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Pratyush said:
Sadly they are doing the same with most promising youngsters for the future at the moment.
This time they can't take all the blame, at least.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
vic_orthdox said:
Point I'm making is that no-one ever would have really noticed it all that much, except that he went out twice in exactly the same manner on exactly the same score. Funnily enough, that score was 99, and so everyone remembers it well.
Oh, right, I understand - didn't realise the same thing had got him out for the same (notorious) score twice.
Quite obviously that's going to be memorable.