• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** ICC Trophy Thread

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
Well the biggest tournament for associate members is set to big in a couple of weeks as Scotland right now are playing their last match before their campaign to reach yet another World Cup begins. I'll be barracking for Denmark yet again and the underdogs PNG. However, I predict an all British Isles final with Ireland winning it over Scotland.

Pool A
Ireland
USA
UAE
Denmark
Bermuda
Uganda

Pool B
Holland
Namibia
Canada
Scotland
Oman
PNG

5 teams will make the World Cup and it's interesting to note that all the semi-finalists from Toronto are drawn up in the same pool, making it a pool of death for Oman and PNG

Series Home

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
How strong is the Canada squad, surely they should be a big chance again. Is John Davison playing for them?

shaka

International Regular
Is Billcliff still in the Canadian team, Canada could probably win the whole thing, them or Scotland

Last edited:

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Mister Wright said:
How strong is the Canada squad, surely they should be a big chance again. Is John Davison playing for them?
Research assistant strikes again...

Canada Squad

Davison, Billcliff, Chumney, Thuraisingham are still in the squad, Nick de Groot a "notable" omission. They've also got a former Test player in Sri Lankan wicketkeeper Pubudu Dassanayake.

I'm backing Ireland, though.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Samuel_Vimes said:
Research assistant strikes again...

Canada Squad

Davison, Billcliff, Chumney, Thuraisingham are still in the squad, Nick de Groot a "notable" omission. They've also got a former Test player in Sri Lankan wicketkeeper Pubudu Dassanayake.

I'm backing Ireland, though.
Thanks mate.

Here's one more for you:

The two teams in the final get through don't they? Or are they taking more to the World Cup this time?

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Mister Wright said:
Thanks mate.

Here's one more for you:

The two teams in the final get through don't they? Or are they taking more to the World Cup this time?
Structure is as follows:

Two top teams in each group to knock-out semi-finals, and also to the World Cup. The third and fourth placed in each group go to Plate semi-finals, the winners of these plate semi-finals go to a fifth place play-off, and the winner of this game also goes to the World Cup.

So that's five teams, along with 11 ODI teams (interesting point that, actually...now that Kenya has been stripped of Full ODI status, they're still qualified for the World Cup without having to go through the ICC Trophy...) to make 16 in the World Cup.

Btw, there's already a thread on this: http://forum.cricketweb.net/showthread.php?t=13452

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Interesting to see Ed Joyce playing for Ireland, seeing as he is so close to the fringes of England selection.

Here's a scenario - having excelled in the Trophy for Ireland and in county cricket, Joyce is picked for England in ODIs this winter, plays a few games but doesn't do that well, and then returns to county cricket. Ireland qualify for the World Cup. Joyce's county form improves and he is suddenly back in the reckoning for an England place again. Could he still play for Ireland in the World Cup if not picked for Enlgand? Is it conceivable that he might have to choose between the two?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Barney Rubble said:
Interesting to see Ed Joyce playing for Ireland, seeing as he is so close to the fringes of England selection.

Here's a scenario - having excelled in the Trophy for Ireland and in county cricket, Joyce is picked for England in ODIs this winter, plays a few games but doesn't do that well, and then returns to county cricket. Ireland qualify for the World Cup. Joyce's county form improves and he is suddenly back in the reckoning for an England place again. Could he still play for Ireland in the World Cup if not picked for Enlgand? Is it conceivable that he might have to choose between the two?
Now I'm not 100% on this, but I think if he plays for England he'd then have to serve a qualifying period for Ireland again like Dougie Brown & Gavin Hamilton have done for the Sweaties after their England careers were over.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
BoyBrumby said:
Now I'm not 100% on this, but I think if he plays for England he'd then have to serve a qualifying period for Ireland again like Dougie Brown & Gavin Hamilton have done for the Sweaties after their England careers were over.
ICC rules state the following:

A cricketer is qualified to play Representative Cricket for a Member Country of which he is a national, or in case of non-nationals, provided that:

(i) (subject to (c) and (b) 5 below) he has not played Representative Cricket for any other Member Country during the four immediately preceding years

(b) 5 is not applicable, as it involves an Associate/Affiliate playing a Full Member

(c) states that cricketers can continue to represent one country without affecting their opportunity to play for another country until U-19 level, and the other two points affect only Associates/Affiliates.

So, if I'm understanding this correctly, Mr Joyce disqualifies himself from England selection until July 2009 with the participation in this tournament!

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Samuel_Vimes said:
ICC rules state the following:

A cricketer is qualified to play Representative Cricket for a Member Country of which he is a national, or in case of non-nationals, provided that:

(i) (subject to (c) and (b) 5 below) he has not played Representative Cricket for any other Member Country during the four immediately preceding years

(b) 5 is not applicable, as it involves an Associate/Affiliate playing a Full Member

(c) states that cricketers can continue to represent one country without affecting their opportunity to play for another country until U-19 level, and the other two points affect only Associates/Affiliates.

So, if I'm understanding this correctly, Mr Joyce disqualifies himself from England selection until July 2009 with the participation in this tournament!
It does mention something about "Associate/Affliate playing a Full Member", so my reading is he's only debarring himself from other non-test members. Gav Hamilton def didn't spend 4 years between representing the Jocks & us. He was playing for them in the 99 WC & then making a pair for us in his only test during (IIRC) our 99/00 tour to SA.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
BoyBrumby said:
It does mention something about "Associate/Affliate playing a Full Member", so my reading is he's only debarring himself from other non-test members. Gav Hamilton def didn't spend 4 years between representing the Jocks & us. He was playing for them in the 99 WC & then making a pair for us in his only test during (IIRC) our 99/00 tour to SA.
Yeah, but the rules were changed in 2002.

The full player eligiblity rules, I just copied and pasted what I thought were the relevant bits.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Samuel_Vimes said:
Yeah, but the rules were changed in 2002.

The full player eligiblity rules, I just copied and pasted what I thought were the relevant bits.
I think C 2 is the relevant bit. It says "cricketers qualified to play for Associate & Affiliate Members can continue to represent that country without negating thier eligibility or interrupting their qualification period for a Full Member Country up until the stage that the cricketer has played for the Full Member Country at Under 19 level or above"

So I think he's ok & can continue to play for The Micks until we slap a cap on him. :)

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
BoyBrumby said:
I think C 2 is the relevant bit. It says "cricketers qualified to play for Associate & Affiliate Members can continue to represent that country without negating thier eligibility or interrupting their qualification period for a Full Member Country up until the stage that the cricketer has played for the Full Member Country at Under 19 level or above"

So I think he's ok & can continue to play for The Micks until we slap a cap on him. :)
Ah right. I must have missed the "Full" out in that statement.

Ruddy legalese. :@

Chubb

International Regular
Do you ever think Norway might make it to the ICC trophy? What kind of level is your national side?

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
We're about the level of Italy - a bit below, perhaps. And AFAIK, Italy got mauled in the qualifiers (by PNG, Fiji and Oman), so we've got a fair bit to go.

I don't think we can ever make it - the sport is never gonna grow out of the Pakistani immigrant community (unless we get some TV coverage on Eurosport...that'd be fantastic) - and the climate is nowhere near conducive. As long as the sport is limited to a couple of hundred amateurs we're never gonna be anything but 10th-ish in Europe.

And I'd be absolutely appalling at cricket, I suspect, so not much help there. :)

Chubb

International Regular
live commentary of Derbyshire v. Uganda warm-up from the BBC... Lawrence Semutimba and someone called Msoki opening up. I'm switching between this and the ODI because it's a bit interesting.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
I'm so teed off about this - the project I'm working on has a natural lull in the middle of July, so I booked a fortnight off, and of course it's slap bang across the finals of the ICC Trophy.

Wonderful, you might say - after all, you work in Dublin, and that's where the entire second phase is (besides, I pop down to Clontarf regularly on my evening strolls - nice ground). What an opportunity for photos, interviews, DD taking the smeg out of the Jocks now they are sans Rahul McDravid, walking around the place looking lost, going up to the Canadians asking where Chef is, telling everyone that Guinness is on the list of banned substances - so what have I done?

Booked a holiday in England, that's what. Miss the whole lot.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Samuel_Vimes said:
We're about the level of Italy - a bit below, perhaps. And AFAIK, Italy got mauled in the qualifiers (by PNG, Fiji and Oman), so we've got a fair bit to go.
And Dublin's world-renowned for prawns too. What a treat you'll miss.

Surprised that the Aussies haven't entered.