• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** West Indies in Sri Lanka

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Samuel_Vimes said:
Agreed.

Marshall, Dw Smith, Chanderpaul, Morton, Deonarine, Joseph, +Ramdin, Powell, Banks, Best, Lawson would be a first XI...I'd think they would beat Bangladesh four times out of ten...
Dwayne Smith opening!! I think not!

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Prince EWS said:
Dwayne Smith opening!! I think not!
Sylvester Joseph will more likely open. Dwayne Smith will get eaten alive in Sri Lanka.

My XI:

R Ramdass
SC Joseph
S Chanderpaul (C)
R Morton
NO Deonarine
OAC Banks - a risk at 6, but he's more capable of dealing with the spot than Smith IMO.
D Ramdin (wk)
DC Butler
DB Powell
TL Best
JJC Lawson

The other option is to have Dwayne Smith in there for Powell, as Deonarine and Banks combine for a decent bowling combo. I fear for Marshall...

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
SL A win by an Innings and 16 runs-

http://nz.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/2005/WI-A_IN_SL/SCORECARDS/WI-A_SL-A_29JUN-02JUL2005.html

Arnold 159 and spinner Weerakoon with 6/56 in the second innings and 3/78 in first innings - were the main architects of the SL A win. Morton scored 115 in the first innings for Windies A team.

On another note Grenada PM has criticised the Windies board saying " it was intent on taking West Indian Cricket on a destructive path "
http://content.cricinfo.com/slvwi/content/story/212439.html

And Darren Ganga claims A team players were forced in to signing contracts !!

http://content.cricinfo.com/slvwi/content/story/212395.html

Does anyone else think Windies cricket is messed up or not ? :)

Don

State Vice-Captain
they couldve gone with ganga in the squad to if ur playing an under strength squad include ganga

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
Ganga didn't want to sign the contract. I believe Mohammed did that too. As well as Baugh and the other A Team guys not in the "senior" squad.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Atapattu Regrets the absence of Lara http://content.cricinfo.com/slvwi/content/story/212723.html

As does Murali
http://content.cricinfo.com/srilanka/content/story/212673.html

First Test will be Sri Lanka's 150th Test and Murali returns after a gap of 11 months.

What a lame Test though, without the leading West Indian players in the Team.

Are the Windies board and players still negotiating or not ?

If the current named Team plays the 2 Tests, anything short of 2 innings defeats would be considered poor performance by SL, IMO.

And SL will move up the Test rankings on the basis of beating such crappy opposition !! :@

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The T&T Ministry of Education is trying to force the inclusion of Lara and Caricom has met and will continue to meet on the issue, as they consider taking it out of the control of the WICB, or at least that's what the media speculates.

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
marc71178 said:
Just remember what happened last time the WI side was weakened like this...
Yeah, but that was a flat pitch at home, without someone like Murali to contend with.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
And they had players who were of more reasonable standard such as W Hinds and Devon Smith. The bowling also looked better on paper and otherwise than that lineup. The wicketkeeping has been improved though. :D

chipmonk

U19 Debutant
JASON said:
I wonder if this is a development squad, then would SL cricket be reprimanded if they put up a development squad as well and played a Test - and gave it Test status ?

Please don't take offence Liam !! :)

I mean would that be any different from Bangladesh playing the current Zimbo and calling it a Test ? :D
Could'nt agree more !

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Russell Arnold as expected has been recalled again after getting a Century against the Windies A Team !
Until his next failures in Tests - likely to get a few more cheap Test caps under his name !! :D (more so because he will get a few more cheap runs against this lack lustre Windies B team in the current match as well !! :D )

Likely First Test Team for SL -

Atapattu
Jayasuriya
Sangakkara
Arnold
Mahela Jayawardene
Samaraweera
Dilshan ( or ? Chandana)
Vaas
Zoysa/Malinga
Murali
Herath

My preference will be to play Dilshan over Chandana and Malinga over Zoysa.

Last edited:

dinu23

International Debutant
I think both chandana and dilshan will play in the first test. Arnold will miss out.