• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** West Indies in Sri Lanka

Legglancer

State Regular
Great 50 bt Samaraweera .... some crisp fours off the middle of his bat. Jayawardena also finally looked pretty good on the middle. Great to see Murali back in the 2 nd innings !

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
roseboy64 said:
Definitely agree with you here. An attack of Edwards/Collins/Lawson/Collymore is the definitely the best for the West Indies. Best team's probably:

Gayle
Hinds
Sarwan
Lara
Chanderpaul
Bravo
Ramdin
Edwards
Collins
Collymore
Lawson

Batting stops at 7 but hopefully the bowling would make that insignificant. Powell could be brought in also.
I dont think Bravo is a good enough #6, for me this is WI best XI

Gayle
Smith (Devon)
Sarwan
Lara
Chanderpaul
Hinds
Bravo
Ramdin
Collins
Edwards
Lawson/Collymore

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
Edwards comes before Collins. Smith hasn't done well at Test level. He's shown promise but hasn't fulfilled anything yet. Hinds has got the experience. With Bravo that's 6 quality bowlers there and also Hinds and Sarwan as backups.

garage flower

State Vice-Captain
Has anyone seen footage of the Windies "A" (or, perhaps more accurately, "C") team's one-day performances?

A number of players seem to have chipped in, but the reports I've seen don't provide much detail.

What's this new Sri Lankan leggie like?

Sorry if this has been covered; I've looked through a few pages and couldn't find anything.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
roseboy64 said:
Edwards comes before Collins. Smith hasn't done well at Test level. He's shown promise but hasn't fulfilled anything yet. Hinds has got the experience. With Bravo that's 6 quality bowlers there and also Hinds and Sarwan as backups.
Collins is better with the bat than Edwards. Devon Smith hasn't gotten a decent run at Test level yet. He's played some quality innings in the mix when he has gotten a chance though.

Mr Mxyzptlk

aussie said:
I dont think Bravo is a good enough #6, for me this is WI best XI

Gayle
Smith (Devon)
Sarwan
Lara
Chanderpaul
Hinds
Bravo
Ramdin
Collins
Edwards
Lawson/Collymore
I don't think Bravo is good enough to be the fourth bowler when the next best person is Gayle. That said, I can't really argue with that 1-7. I don't like Hinds opening. He'd possibly drop out if anything.

Collins and Collymore must play if fit IMO. So it'd be a tossup between Lawson and Edwards for mine. Currenly Lawson is the go.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
I still prefer HInds to Smith but if somehow he can be given a string of games to prove himself then I'd reconsider. My side however beefs up the bowling. It can work if the batsmen apply themselves.

dinu23

International Debutant
garage flower said:
Has anyone seen footage of the Windies "A" (or, perhaps more accurately, "C") team's one-day performances?

What's this new Sri Lankan leggie like?
showed highlights of the games in the news.thats all. no coverage at all even here in SL.

as for the leggie, which one mate?

Mr Mxyzptlk

roseboy64 said:
I still prefer HInds to Smith but if somehow he can be given a string of games to prove himself then I'd reconsider. My side however beefs up the bowling. It can work if the batsmen apply themselves.
Smith is better equipped to deal with Test quality bowling. Better technique by leaps and bounds and better judgement outside the offstump. I'm confident that if he gets as many chances as Hinds, he'll prove a far better Test batsman.

shaka

International Regular
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
When I first saw Lendl's name I heard Simmons and thus gave me a reminder to the great Phil Simmons. But I also though how can Phil still be playing, because I remember him playing in like 1992 WC or something. Any information on the guy from other than cricinfo?

Mr Mxyzptlk

Attractive strokeplayer. Naturally aggressive, but not in a slogging fashion. Inconsistent like most young West Indian batsmen, but with genuine talent to be really special. He has matured since he first entered the game undoubtedly.

Simmons can keep wicket fairly usefully, and is also a handy medium pacer, though he doesn't bowl as often as he might. An indication of his talent and yet inconsistency is the fact that his lone FC hundred is a double and that he averages less than 30 despite such ability.

Still, just 20 years old and definitely one for the future.

A piece that I did a year ago, summarizing the initial stage of his career:

The nephew of former Test player, Phil Simmons, Lendl has been hailed as another bright Trinidadian prospect. Simmons debuted for T&T in the 2002 Busta Cup at the tender age of 17. In his rookie season, he showed good technique and a cool resolve which helped him to 162 runs at an average of 40.50. He also managed to take 6 wickets at an average of 9 with a BB of 3/6. With this good start to his FC career, some were suggesting his name as a more than useful allrounder for the future, however when he returned in 2003, he took up the role of wicketkeeper as well as middle order batsman.

Perhaps it was the strain of the dual role, but Simmons could barely score a run in the early going of the 2003 Carib Cup, finishing with just 197 runs at an average of 17.90. This included just one fifty, his maiden half-century - 68.

shaka

International Regular
All I can say is good luck for his West Indian future, hope he does well, and will add to the number of 2nd generation cricketers or 3rd etc.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
i remember seeing Lendl simmons in the under-15 WC final at lords in 2000 i think and even then he looked a decent young bat...

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Nothing much has changed from previous Test !!

SL struggling at 4/79 having been 4/42 after Tino Best and Darren Powell took 2 wickets each. Dilshan and Samaraweera doing the recovery job once again !!

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
And another wicket as they go to lunch at 5/98 Dilshan run out for 36. Chanderpaul and the current Windies Team are brilliant and I apologise unreservedly for degrading them before the start of this series.

If anything the Lankans are crap !! Bennett King (windies coach) also deserves credit !! :clapping:

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
This is incredible, Sri Lanka have been dismissed for 150! :-O

Daren Powell with five wickets for 25 runs, his first test five-for.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Always thought Best had a bit of potential myself, if he could sort out a few cosmetic problems, like Edwards. Powell I've never seen, but he'd having a good start!

Here's hoping the Windies can win it.