• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Brendan Taylor Banned

Chubb

International Regular
"Brendan Taylor has been banned for nine months following reports of indiscipline during Zimbabwe's recent A-team series against Pakistan.

Taylor was slapped with the ban after reportedly missing training twice without informing Kevin Curran, the coach, or giving a satisfactory explanation for his absence.

The action rules Taylor out of the home series against India and New Zealand as well as Zimbabwe's tour of New Zealand in January. He will, however, be able to play domestic matches.

If the punishment appears to be excessive, sources report that this was not Taylor's first brush with the authorities. Last month, Cricinfo exclusively reported that Taylor had stayed out clubbing all night less than 36 hours before the start of the Test against South Africa at Johannesburg in March."

Taylor is only nineteen years old, and whilst you can understand why the ban has been slapped on him, is it right to punish someone for being a little bit stupid? Also we might ask whether a young black player would have been banned for so long. I believe that there was indiscipline from Nkala and some other guys in and before the South Africa tour. Also during the incident in South Africa Taylor was accompanied by Phil Simmons, the coach!

I doubt this is racially motivated, he has been pretty stupid but I think it's a little unfair and Zimbabwe need him in ODIs, he can open with Barney Rogers because everyone knows Trevor Gripper can't really attack to save his life.

Craig

World Traveller
It bit harsh indeed.

A ban for a few months would have been fine in my books, but 9 months is too much.

Chubb

International Regular
Hmm, I don't really think his loss will damage the chances.
No, not the results, they'd still lose, but he is capable of scoring runs at international level, he has five ODI half-centuries and two in tests, so the competitivenes of the team will be further damaged, he's been one of the few bright spots since the final exodus.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
If he's capable of scoring runs so is Mluleki Nkala!
So many people are capable of scoring runs - it's the frequency with which they do it, and while Taylor has done it a bit more than some, it's still hardly anything to get too excited about from where I'm standing.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I doubt this is racially motivated, he has been pretty stupid but I think it's a little unfair and Zimbabwe need him in ODIs, he can open with Barney Rogers because everyone knows Trevor Gripper can't really attack to save his life.
Its all a mindset thing for Gripper really. I just dont think he backs himself enough. If you follow his domestic stats, he scores as quickly as any of the other batsmen, but he just seems to doubt his ability a bit, especially through the offside. Anyway, there are other opening options for Zim, including Matsikenyeri, Carlisle, Vermeulen, Feierra and even Coventry.

Chubb

International Regular
Yeah I guess but i'd discount Matsikenyeri and maybe give Coventry a go. I doubt they'll select Neil Ferreira, they never did before despite great Logy and Faithwear form, Carlisle's at home in the middle order and Vermeulen has been ruined by his injury, which is a terrible shame.

Other guy they could try is Masakadza or Ebrahim

Last edited:

Chubb

International Regular
I doubt Taylor would have been able to pay it. They don't get paid much out there.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Chubb said:
Yeah I guess but i'd discount Matsikenyeri and maybe give Coventry a go. I doubt they'll select Neil Ferreira, they never did before despite great Logy and Faithwear form, Carlisle's at home in the middle order and Vermeulen has been ruined by his injury, which is a terrible shame.

Other guy they could try is Masakadza or Ebrahim
Masakadza has done well as a quick-scoring middle-order player, and I wouldnt move him.

As for Ebrahim, I'd never open with him in one dayers. Ide consider batting him at four if the side was being dismissed cheaply, but I'd never open with him.

I wouldnt count Carlisle out either - he doesnt really have a place in the team as yet, so opening could be his was back in.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
shaka said:
9 months is a long ban for missing 2 sessions.
Sounds as though there was more to it.

Still out on the **** when training began and/or gave the coach a mouth-ful upon his return spring readily to mind.

Chubb

International Regular
By all accounts Hamilton is an exceptionally mild-mannered guy, so it's unlikely that he'd have had a go at the coach or anything like that (although there is no suggeston Brendan Taylor did either) but yes, the ZC wouldn't have banned him for so long.

The ZC allow Innocent Chinyoka, who was accused of stealing a car and personal belongings of his team mates, and Darlington Matambanadzo, who went AWOL for two weeks to continue playing, so it would be no surprise to let someone like Hamilton off.

Also they allowed Tatenda Taibu to miss Mashonaland's crucial Logan Cup clash with Manicaland to go on honeymoon, apparently Kevin Curran was furious.

Last edited:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I suppose in the case of Taibu it is with their blessing though, and he'd hardly prove anything by playing in that game.