Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brendan Taylor Banned

Brendan Taylor Banned

"Brendan Taylor has been banned for nine months following reports of indiscipline during Zimbabwe's recent A-team series against Pakistan.

Taylor was slapped with the ban after reportedly missing training twice without informing Kevin Curran, the coach, or giving a satisfactory explanation for his absence.

The action rules Taylor out of the home series against India and New Zealand as well as Zimbabwe's tour of New Zealand in January. He will, however, be able to play domestic matches.

If the punishment appears to be excessive, sources report that this was not Taylor's first brush with the authorities. Last month, Cricinfo exclusively reported that Taylor had stayed out clubbing all night less than 36 hours before the start of the Test against South Africa at Johannesburg in March."

Taylor is only nineteen years old, and whilst you can understand why the ban has been slapped on him, is it right to punish someone for being a little bit stupid? Also we might ask whether a young black player would have been banned for so long. I believe that there was indiscipline from Nkala and some other guys in and before the South Africa tour. Also during the incident in South Africa Taylor was accompanied by Phil Simmons, the coach!

I doubt this is racially motivated, he has been pretty stupid but I think it's a little unfair and Zimbabwe need him in ODIs, he can open with Barney Rogers because everyone knows Trevor Gripper can't really attack to save his life.

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Hmm, I don't really think his loss will damage the chances.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

It bit harsh indeed.

A ban for a few months would have been fine in my books, but 9 months is too much.
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick once and you suck forever...

RIP Fardin Qayyumi, a true legend of CW

Quote Originally Posted by Boobidy View Post
    Bradman never had to face quicks like Sharma and Irfan Pathan. He wouldn't of lasted a ball against those 2, not to mention a spinner like Sehwag.

Hmm, I don't really think his loss will damage the chances.
    No, not the results, they'd still lose, but he is capable of scoring runs at international level, he has five ODI half-centuries and two in tests, so the competitivenes of the team will be further damaged, he's been one of the few bright spots since the final exodus.

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    If he's capable of scoring runs so is Mluleki Nkala!
    So many people are capable of scoring runs - it's the frequency with which they do it, and while Taylor has done it a bit more than some, it's still hardly anything to get too excited about from where I'm standing.

I doubt this is racially motivated, he has been pretty stupid but I think it's a little unfair and Zimbabwe need him in ODIs, he can open with Barney Rogers because everyone knows Trevor Gripper can't really attack to save his life.
    Its all a mindset thing for Gripper really. I just dont think he backs himself enough. If you follow his domestic stats, he scores as quickly as any of the other batsmen, but he just seems to doubt his ability a bit, especially through the offside. Anyway, there are other opening options for Zim, including Matsikenyeri, Carlisle, Vermeulen, Feierra and even Coventry.
    ~ Cribbage ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since December 2009

Yeah I guess but i'd discount Matsikenyeri and maybe give Coventry a go. I doubt they'll select Neil Ferreira, they never did before despite great Logy and Faithwear form, Carlisle's at home in the middle order and Vermeulen has been ruined by his injury, which is a terrible shame.

Other guy they could try is Masakadza or Ebrahim
    Last edited by Chubb; 14-06-2005 at 04:47 AM.

9 months is a long ban for missing 2 sessions.

Even a hefty fine probably would have been suffient?

I doubt Taylor would have been able to pay it. They don't get paid much out there.

Bowling tgfg Champion! Carmageddon Champion! Rainman Champion! DTunnel Champion!
    Dammit! Taylor has been looking good too.
    Jesus saves

proudly supporting Liverpool FC

Quote Originally Posted by Chubb
    Yeah I guess but i'd discount Matsikenyeri and maybe give Coventry a go. I doubt they'll select Neil Ferreira, they never did before despite great Logy and Faithwear form, Carlisle's at home in the middle order and Vermeulen has been ruined by his injury, which is a terrible shame.

Other guy they could try is Masakadza or Ebrahim
    Masakadza has done well as a quick-scoring middle-order player, and I wouldnt move him.

As for Ebrahim, I'd never open with him in one dayers. Ide consider batting him at four if the side was being dismissed cheaply, but I'd never open with him.

I wouldnt count Carlisle out either - he doesnt really have a place in the team as yet, so opening could be his was back in.

Plasmanaut on Fire Champion!
    does seem a very harsh penalty for the crime.
    Member of CW Green
    Kerry O'Keefe - Worlds funniest Commentator

International Captain masterblaster's Avatar
    Netblazer3D Champion!
    Too harsh a penalty in my opinion as well. Nine months for not showing upto training twice?

Far too harsh.....
    Self Elected Vice-President of AAAS
    (Ajit Agarkar Appreciation Society)

"Uniting Ajit Agarkar Fans World Wide"

Always Live Life With: Intensity, Integrity and Intelligence

Quote Originally Posted by shaka
    9 months is a long ban for missing 2 sessions.
    Sounds as though there was more to it.

Still out on the **** when training began and/or gave the coach a mouth-ful upon his return spring readily to mind.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information