• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

International Twenty20 and the future

Swervy

International Captain
What do people think..does this game have a future in international cricket?

Personally I do.....

I think this is a big enough subject to have a thread dedicated to it

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
Swervy said:
What do people think..does this game have a future in international cricket?

Personally I do.....

I think this is a big enough subject to have a thread dedicated to it
Anything which generates revenue will almost certainly have a future. I'm not a huge fan of it, but if it promotes interest in the game, it can't be all bad.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Agreed with adam here. I don't like the format at all at international level. I think it has its place at domestic level certainly, but having a free hit and that other rubbish in international cricket is just a joke. Regardless, I have no doubt its here to stay. I just hope it stays in the form it is now as a sort of carnival series opener rather than the sort of thing you have whole series of. Would anyone really want to watch 5 20/20 games in a row?

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Personally i think one game a tour, and perhaps one champions trophy out of 2 would be the right amount - not really any more

Swervy

International Captain
personally I think there is far too much ODI cricket as it is. For both England and Australia to be playing 10 ODI's this summer is ridiculous..so I agree that more 2020 games would be pushing it as it stands now. However I think a 3 game series would be viable if the number of 50 over games was reduced by at least a half.

In England that wont happen, simply because of two things

a) money
b) other countries around the world dont appear to be reducing the number of 50 over games they play esp in Asia..and so England would be disadvantaged in the one tournament that really counts, the World Cup

BoyBrumby

Englishman
It's a handy format for those of us who have to work for a living. Like today: I could put in a full day at the coalface & still be home in time to see the first ball bowled.

& I defy anyone to say it isn't an exciting form of the game, be it a contrived excitement or not. I think there'll be a place for it in the international calendar.

SpeedKing

U19 Vice-Captain
FaaipDeOiad said:
Agreed with adam here. I don't like the format at all at international level. I think it has its place at domestic level certainly, but having a free hit and that other rubbish in international cricket is just a joke. Regardless, I have no doubt its here to stay. I just hope it stays in the form it is now as a sort of carnival series opener rather than the sort of thing you have whole series of. Would anyone really want to watch 5 20/20 games in a row?
hell Yeah, all day baby. i am a bowler and i do not enjoy seeing my kind getting hit around but if someone gave me five tickets for 5 20/20 games [of a good level] i would be at the ground the night before to get a good seat.

but i do agree with you on limiting it to opener/ curtain-raiser status. It is a great way to kick off a summer of cricket

SpeedKing

U19 Vice-Captain
BoyBrumby said:
It's a handy format for those of us who have to work for a living. Like today: I could put in a full day at the coalface & still be home in time to see the first ball bowled.

& I defy anyone to say it isn't an exciting form of the game, be it a contrived excitement or not. I think there'll be a place for it in the international calendar.
Exactly, it is entertaining whether your team is losing or not. Finally there is a brand of cricket to compete with the entertainment value of say football/ rugby [For those not interested in cricket may i add]. And the starting times of it are also almost perfect

Langeveldt

Soutie
Oh, its going to take off and do big things, no doubt about that.. It could replace 50 over cricket, and then start eating in to the test schedule..

And there are going to be a handfull of purists like myself who will kick up a fuss because we don't like it.. But when it takes over I can watch something else, and I'm sure a lot of the others will have died off :)

I find it exciting, but I don't look for excitement in cricket.. Its a form of relaxation for me, but I guess there are massively varying priorities among the audience..

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
I don't mind the game but i have yet to see an even Twenty20 game. Out of the four games i've seen they have been very one sided. Most of them have been over inside 30 overs. The last 10 just seem to drag on, but i guess that better then some ODI matches that are over before the 25 over mark. I think i can make better judgement about the game after the Australian domestic summer after i see some games live.

It will probabaly have a place on the International stage and end up being more then just one off matches like today. I can see international tournments like the NatWest Series or VB Series being made up of only 20Twenty Matches. I don't know if that will be good thing or a bad thing, i guess we have to wait and see. I remember the Cricket Australia having a cry about not getting enough crowds to their VB Series matches last season, so if something like 20Twenty can draw bigger crowds then we may see more games. Remember one of the reason that ODI have taken off is cus of the money they bring in, not nessary the quality of the cricket.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It's all about the mighty dollar - if it's profitable we'll be subjected to much more of it.

Personally, the 2 games that Ive seen have been extremely boring and predictable.

Full ball - slog

Good length ball - slog

Short ball - slog

Somebody wake me up when a text book shot is played.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It has it's place, no denying. Mind you, the schedule is crowded enough as it is and let's face it, I'm more tired of 6 and 7-game ODI series than 20/20. I say, reduce ODI's and throw in some 20/20. Instead of a 7-game ODI series between two countries where I think most of us are tired of the series after game 4, have 3 or 4 ODI's and then 3 20/20 matches. It eases the workload on the players (shorter games at the end of a season), it gives opportunities to players who might not have featured in Tests or ODI's earlier in the season (would Darren Maddy even be considered for any international cricket otherwise?) and makes the end of a summer a bit more 'crash/bang/wallop' and at the end of a long summer, who wouldn't want to see that? I would and I'm as much as Test purist as anyone.

Yes Tests are the real game but 20/20 is the after-dinner mint after a summer of fine wines and fine French food. A guilty pleasure, if you will, after which people can relax. :)

cricket player

International Debutant
If 20/20 takes over 50 over game That will be nightmare for some of the international players,
not every one is a slogger keep that in mind.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
cricket player said:
If 20/20 takes over 50 over game That will be nightmare for some of the international players,
not every one is a slogger keep that in mind.
Paul Collingwood isn't a slogger and he did pretty well in the match today, you don't have to be a slogger to bat well in 20Twenty Cricket. As Australia showed if you come out thinking just about slogging and not playing some cricket shots or building an innings your going to get out under a 100.

cricket player

International Debutant
chaminda_00 said:
Paul Collingwood isn't a slogger and he did pretty well in the match today, you don't have to be a slogger to bat well in 20Twenty Cricket. As Australia showed if you come out thinking just about slogging and not playing some cricket shots or building an innings your going to get out under a 100.
I disagree,

Shahid Afridi comes out thinking just to slog and how many 100s does he have under his name only 4 :ph34r: in 200 plus some matches.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
social said:
It's all about the mighty dollar - if it's profitable we'll be subjected to much more of it.

Personally, the 2 games that Ive seen have been extremely boring and predictable.

Full ball - slog

Good length ball - slog

Short ball - slog

Somebody wake me up when a text book shot is played.
You do get one or two here and there, but that's not the point of it, is it?
It's not designed around testing much in the way of cricketing merits.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
chaminda_00 said:
Yet Collingwood showed that he can hit the ball - not always with out-and-out slogs but usually with something pretty closely resembling them.
Australia hardly went out-and-out slogging, it's just virtually every airial shot seemed to go to a fielder.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Top_Cat said:
It has it's place, no denying. Mind you, the schedule is crowded enough as it is and let's face it, I'm more tired of 6 and 7-game ODI series than 20/20. I say, reduce ODI's and throw in some 20/20. Instead of a 7-game ODI series between two countries where I think most of us are tired of the series after game 4, have 3 or 4 ODI's and then 3 20/20 matches. It eases the workload on the players (shorter games at the end of a season), it gives opportunities to players who might not have featured in Tests or ODI's earlier in the season (would Darren Maddy even be considered for any international cricket otherwise?) and makes the end of a summer a bit more 'crash/bang/wallop' and at the end of a long summer, who wouldn't want to see that? I would and I'm as much as Test purist as anyone.

Yes Tests are the real game but 20/20 is the after-dinner mint after a summer of fine wines and fine French food. A guilty pleasure, if you will, after which people can relax. :)
3 or 4 ODIs are not enough.
A good ODI series is a 10-match tri-series or a 5-match bilateral one if you can't attract a third side.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
BoyBrumby said:
Oh, it was exciting, hell yes - but that's the first time I've ever found a Twenty20 game exciting.
Why? Simple. Because England were battering Australia. In that Surrey-Lancs semi last year I watched with great interest, but none of the frenzy that was knocking-about on the field and in the com-box, despite that being a much more closely-fought game with a far better finish.