• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Alderman slags off Giles

Craig

World Traveller
I thought the reason for it was because he was bowling to a plan set up by the England management and Giles being a big team man was going along with it. Thant and he doesn't turn the ball a great deal (and yes I know what Richard's response will be).

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Yes, that is exactly the point Craig.

He was bowling to a plan, and the plan worked - yet he gets lots of criticism for it!

And what is wrong in a bowler getting wickets by frustrating the batsman? If you ask me it's a perfectly good plan to use.

Also, I can only assume he didn't see much of Giles in 2004 if he's going to talk like that.

Craig

World Traveller
I guess the only critisim was say a couple of years back when he was pitching a foot outside leg stump and seldom the ball going for four leg byes (IIRC Bob Willis said the umpire should call it four wides but I can't remember 100%), instead when he attacking the batsmen this way.

Pitching it a foot outside leg stump may not.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I can honestly never understand the criticism of Giles for his bowling on that tour. It's a slightly negative tactic to bowl outside leg-stump, yes, but it's a legitimate tactic and most importantly, it worked! Australia employed slightly more negative tactics than usual on their Indian tour recently but were they criticised? Hell no. In fact it was quite the opposite (stroke of genius and all that).

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Interesting that call about Giles. But before that, read in The Age (Melbourne Newspaper) an interview with Alderman where he actually made a number of very good insights, talking about how Hoggard the biggest worry for Australia because of the lack of exposure any batsman now has to quality swing bowling.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
I think Terry has it about right. Unless he's getting a lot of assistance, Giles doesn't bowl very many wicket balls. I hate to sound like Richard, but it's pretty hard to see the Australian's giving up a lot of wickets to him unless the wickets are really turning or they play silly shots.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
But before that, read in The Age (Melbourne Newspaper) an interview with Alderman where he actually made a number of very good insights, talking about how Hoggard the biggest worry for Australia because of the lack of exposure any batsman now has to quality swing bowling.
*yawn* Bit behind the times there Terry; I wrote an article about this in mid-2002 (or 2003; can't remember). :D

Of course that was so long ago, there's no link to it anymore on CW.net. ;)

SpeedKing

U19 Vice-Captain
The way Giles got over all the criticism he took last year, i doubt he will even give half-a-hoot of what Alderman is talking about

howardj

International Coach
SpeedKing said:
The way Giles got over all the criticism he took last year, i doubt he will even give half-a-hoot of what Alderman is talking about
yeah, when you're spanish royalty, you dont have a worry in the world

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Giles is an average bowler but he suits well in the English bowling attack, blocking one end while guys like Hoggard and Harmison can attack. So he does his utility job well.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Top_Cat said:
I can honestly never understand the criticism of Giles for his bowling on that tour. It's a slightly negative tactic to bowl outside leg-stump, yes, but it's a legitimate tactic and most importantly, it worked! Australia employed slightly more negative tactics than usual on their Indian tour recently but were they criticised? Hell no. In fact it was quite the opposite (stroke of genius and all that).
Yea Warne regularly bowls negatively like this (except it's supposedly not negative because he's trying to bowl people around the legs, but then Giles is still trying to get people out when he does it) , not in as long a spell as Giles, but in more frequent short spells certainly.

simmy

International Regular
It's an old tactic Nasser made him use (bowling outside leg stump) against Tendulkar when India toured England... it got him frustrated and out, so why not the Aussies?

Also, Giles had come on so much as bowler in recent series... can't see England being overly worried about his capabilities.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
howardj said:
Alderman is just bitter because Giles bowls faster than he did!
However fast he was, I doubt anyone else will ever have the phenominal success he did in England in 1981 and 1989.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
simmy said:
It's an old tactic Nasser made him use (bowling outside leg stump) against Tendulkar when India toured England... it got him frustrated and out, so why not the Aussies?
It certainly didn't get Tendulkar out in 2002 - it got him out once in 2001\02, in India.
Also, Giles had come on so much as bowler in recent series... can't see England being overly worried about his capabilities.
Giles hasn't really come on at all, he's almost exactly the same bowler now as he was on debut in 1998. Recently he's unexpectedly had some turners at home and as such some unexpected success.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Pratyush said:
Giles is an average bowler but he suits well in the English bowling attack, blocking one end while guys like Hoggard and Harmison can attack. So he does his utility job well.
And on turners he's categorically not an average bowler and is in fact a World-class strike-force; and since summer 2003 he's been attacked well when it's not turning despite bowling the over-the-wicket line.
And if Harmison attacks anything Australian with too much success this summer I'll be astonished.